PDA

View Full Version : Antique Parker Bros Double Barrel Shotgun help!

reh1015
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
This gun belonged to my great grandfather. I recently inherited it in his estate. I don't know much about it other

than the fact that it's old. Somebody told me it looked like it had been refinished which obviously changes it's value.

Above the serial number, there is a V, maybe V-Grade? the serial number starts with 112 so thanks to your guide, I found it was made in 1902.

On the barrell, it says:
"Parker Brothers Makers Meriden Conn Vulcan Steel"
Then it says the serial number (heard it wasn't a good idea to post)
"Pat'd Mar 28, 1878"

On the other part of the gun, it says:
"Pat'd Jan 18 Aug 18 1887
May 7- Oct 8 1889"

Possibly some of you gun experts could tell me a little more about this gun like what gauge, model, value is it. I wish I had been around to hear the stories about all the guns my grandfather had but now it's in your hands.

I made a photo gallery with photos of the gun. Some detailed, some didn't come out to well but photos obviously help. It can be viewed by clicking or copying+pasting the link below into the web browser.

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/stedwardsalumni/parkerbrosgun/

Please reply to my post with any information you might have regarding this gun. I appreciate and express the utmost gratitude to your input. Thanks

I might even decide to list it on Gun Broker if it happens to be a highly collectible item. Otherwise, I'll just keep for sentimental reasons.

Mainly, right now. I just need to know what model this gun is, what it sells for or what it's worth (refinished), and what gauge it is. Thanks for all your help. I was referred here by several individuals over at the gunbroker forum. Thanks

Rick
Austin, TX

Robin Lewis
09-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Rick,

I looked at the pictures and best I could tell the serial number is 112349? If that is correct, it is a V grade which is obvious from the pictures, and it left the factory with 30 inch barrels as its a 12 ga. with a capped pistol gripped stock.

A 12ga, V grade Parker isn't rare but that is not to say it isn't worth something. Your Parker looks to be well used and well cared for, at least as best I can tell from the pictures. There are a lot of people out there that would be interested in a good solid V grade.

Andrew Thompson
09-24-2009, 10:36 PM
The stock apears to be absent of checkering. Is there a pattern carved into the stock where the hand grips it?

reh1015
09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the inciteful info guys! What kind of wood is this made out of and what kind of steel is the barrel?

Also, is V-grade the same as VH? Still new to this and need to do some more research. This really seems like a fun hobby

tom tutwiler
09-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Stock was made out of american walnut. V is the same as a VH as the gun doesn't appear to have ejectors. Assume a number 2 frame which was the most common. Value depends on bore condition as much as anything else as it doesn't appear to have strong case colors and the pad isn't original. That said a very nice gun. I've got just like it, but a tad older.

John Dunkle
09-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum and to the "Parker" addiction.. ;)

As well - when you have a minute, can you either PM me - or post your last name - and I'll get your screen name/login set on the forum?

My thanks!

John

George Lander
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Rick: As was said by those above, what you have is one of the most common Parkers made. Until the advent of the Trojan, the V grade was the lowest. But, that said "A Parker is a Parker, is a Parker" the main difference between the grade is the finish, engraving and enbellishments. Depending on overall condition your Parker would be worth somewhere between $800 - $1,800 in my opinion.

Best Regards, George and welcome to the Forum

reh1015
10-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all of your help. I just uploaded some more great photos of the gun. Check them out here.

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/stedwardsalumni/

Much better quality than the previous ones. So is this a 12 guage shotgun?

Dave Suponski
10-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Rick,Thanks for the better pictures. I couldn,t tell by the barrel lug what gauge your Parker is. If its a 12ga. I would think it would be worth somewhere's near $800.00-$1000.00. It looks to be a well used but not abused VH as previous posters here have said.