PDA

View Full Version : Barrels Stuck

gregg conley
09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a VH Parker that I can't remove the barrels on now. Years ago they came right off with the removal of the forearm. Then I had to snap the triggers to remove them. Now they will not come off at all. This problem developed over time. Could it be a spring weakening over time? Or possibley dried oil gunk or dirt in the gun. Thanks, looking forward to your ideas.

David Hamilton
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Could be dirt and dried oil etc. Try gently taping the receiver with a rubber mallet, that might jar something lose. Lots of light strokes like a vibration, or try using a vibrator on it. Once open you should clean the insides. Good luck. The easy thing to do is take it to a Parker gunsmith but that costs money... David

Dave Purnell
09-24-2009, 04:52 PM
It's probably the cocking hook release pin has gotten gunked up with oil and dirt over the years. Get the barrels off as Dave suggests, then give it a good cleaning. You can try some Break-free or similar solvent without taking the floor plate off. When the barrels are off, the cocking hook release pin should stick out the front end of the frame just below the roll pin joint. The pin should move freely in and out.

Dave

gregg conley
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
The cocking hook release pin moves freely when pressed on. I removed the trigger plate and manually unhooked the spring loaded barrel hook from the [bell crank?] Cleaned and lightly oiled everything. Replaced barrels and they still won't unhook unless I do it manually. Now what?

Carl Brandt
09-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Gregg,

Check that the cocking hook on the barrel is clean, moves freely and that the spring is still installed.

Carl.