PDA

View Full Version : steel shot in 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge DHE parker reproduction?

bruce willis
09-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a 20 gauge 2 3/4" DHE parker reproduction with 26" barrels improved cyl, and modified chokes. Can I shoot remington 20 gauge 2 3/4" 3/4 oz #4 steel through this gun without barrel damage? I am sure this question has been asked many times. I noticed also that the engraving almost appears to be rolled on on the floor plate, but hand engraved in other places. Is this the case on these? It is a nice gun with beautiful wood, SSBP with single trigger. I bought it for I could never afford " a real parker" in this configeration. I did once have it "double" on me, but have shot it many times there after with no problem. Delgrego said if they have sat a long time, or some old oil in them this could happen. I perfer double triggers, but none were available at the time. The case color is curious, not like my VH 12. Any coments on this would be appreciated BW.

John Dunkle
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi Bruce!

Yes - you can shoot steel shot out of your repro safely as it is choked I/C-M. Just remember though, typically - your MOD choke becomes a FULL choke with steel - so anything tighter than a MOD I'd probably steer clear of...

As for the engraving - I'll defer to the other folks, as I'm not sure how the repros were engraved? that being said - I do like mine - and is my "go to" 28GA many times for partridge & woodcock..

Hope this helps!

John

Dave Fuller
09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
The D and B grade Repro guns were machine engraved and then "hand chased" or touched up by hand after the machines made the outlines. The A grade guns were engraved by hand. The case colors on Repros have been discussed a lot on this BBS. They were done chemically rather than by the traditional bone charcoal cooking method that Parker Bros. used. Fortunately they do not sport the "tiger stripes" that scream cyanide chemical redo like we see on many refurbished originals. Some of the repro colors seem to "flake off" in an unpleasing fashion. However, my extensively used 20ga Repro has worn much like a traditional color job might and now has a rather pleasing 50%-remaining-color patina which looks quite nice in my opinion... no flakage and no stripes. I've owned quite a few of these guns and sold most of them but my original 20ga, purchased about 20 years ago, remains my favorite gun.

John Dunkle
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Great information - thanks Dave!! As well, were repros made in any other grades other than the D, B or A?

On my lonely repro DHE 28 - I have to agree about the wearing of the case hardening - for as they wear a bit, they look wonderful. The nicest I ever saw was on Dean's repro, which he bought for Kathy. It is stunning...

Thanks again!

John

Dave Fuller
09-24-2009, 09:02 PM
D, B, A - that's it.