PDA

View Full Version : Value of butt stock?

John Havard
10-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a non-collector-quality GH-16 for which I had a longer butt stock made (I'm tall and need/like 15 1/4" LOP). I mention that the GH isn't a collector gun (I intend to use it) and therefore I see less value in trying to keep the butt stock and fore end together. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original except it yielded a 13 3/4" LOP when mounted on the gun. It's a #1 frame butt stock.

Is there a market for such butt stocks? And if so what's a reasonable price for one?

I'm honestly not fishing, but a gentleman has asked me for the butt stock if I choose to not keep it. If it's worth "x" then I'll probably keep it. If it's worth "XXX" then I will most probably let it go.

Here are a few photos of the butt stock.

Greg Baehman
10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
There most certainly is a market, but I'd have to believe that market is a little smaller for a 13 3/4" LOP w/pad stock, however. Your stock and forend, IMHO, should bring ~ $250-$300. Of course I could be wrong.

Carl Erickson Jr
10-26-2011, 11:31 PM
If your friend does not want it, I do!

Steve Huffman
10-27-2011, 05:42 AM
I wish you would keep it with the gun. If you pass the gun down it my fit that person better.

edgarspencer
10-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Nothing wrong with changing the butt stock to fit you better, but the value of the stock, IMO, will be less than the decrease in the value of the gun with new butt stock and original among the missing.

ed good
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
separating original stock from gun will devalue gun more than value of stock if sold by itself....

Jack Cronkhite
10-27-2011, 07:34 AM
John: I think all Parkers are collectable. Because a gun is used to shoot, the function for which it is designed, does not make it non-collectable in my mind. I think the responses show a value of x not XXX. It is a nice looking stock with a shorter than desired LOP. I have one where the solution, by a previous owner, was to add the extra length with a new pad like the pad on yours, only a lot thicker. It does look a little weird to me, but it achieved the LOP he wanted. A new stock fitted perfectly to you is a fine option for happy shooting. I would tuck the original away to retain the stock numbered to the gun for the benefit of the next custodian. That's my take on it.

Cheers,
Jack

Brian Dudley
10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
It is best to keep the original buttstock. Even if it is not on the gun. If it doesn't fit you, it may fit the next owner. Plus, your original stock there is very nice.
By way of value. I have seen ones in pretty poor condition sell on Ebay for as high as $75. So your original, especially with matching forend, would be worth the 200-300 range as previously mentioned.

John Havard
10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. If the value is only $300 or so I'd rather keep it with the gun like many have suggested.

Don Kaas
10-28-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a large box in my basement that is marked "Parker Stocks -Good". It contains about a dozen original stocks and fore ends from Parkers-many with their PG trigger guards. I have re-stocked to straight grips with higher LH dimensions. There are also a few treasures I could not resist buying like a DH factory Monte Carlo straight rip stock I bought at the GAH in Vandalia a long time ago. When I sell a re-stocked Parker I always include the original stocks. The next keeper of the Parker deserves to have them.

I also have a box labeled "Parker patterns" with patterns I have used over the years in res-stocking projects from 6 frame hammers to 0 frame hammerless many made from unserviceable original stocks. Some are to use for checkering patterns.They always seem to come in handy...unfortunately I have three other similar boxes labeled "Fox - Patterns", "M21 Patterns" and "Misc- Patterns"...clearly I have had OCRD (Obsessive Complusive Restocking Disorder ...with sinistral complications...admitting to one's addiction is the first step to overcoming it...but whomever said that was not a left handed pigeon shooter who likes to shoot old shotguns...:banghead: