PDA

View Full Version : Parker Of The Month – Potential Site Contest?

John Dunkle
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
On one of my other firearm collecting sites, I do a “Gun of the Month” – which appears on the opening page of the main website. In short – I’m trying to see if there is any interest in doing it for this site?

Here are the details as I envision them for this site… Each month, folks post pictures of their Parkers (yes, including repros) into a thread I’d start in one of the Forums (I’d start the thread, and folks post into it).

Next – I’d close the thread a couple of days BEFORE the month end – and create an “album” with all the submissions.. For those few days – folks can “vote” or add comments to their favorite picture in that album. On the first day of that voted month – that winning “picture” would appear as the “Parker of the Month” on the opening page at http://parkerguns.org – and whoever “wins” e-mail’s me a high-res copy of their picture (see below as to why).

Finally – here was the neat idea from my other site – all the 12 pictures are then compiled into a calendar available to anyone for the next year and their own “separate” album for the year…

Anyway – like I did on page 2 in this thread:
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=511

I’d really like to see the PGCA site have dynamic content and allow folks the opportunity to showcase some wonderful firearms and pictures.

If there is interest in doing this – let me know, OK?

John

Greg Baehman
09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
What a grand idea! It will perhaps bring some unbeforeseen Parkers out of the fog and into the light and make for a great calendar to boot!

Destry L. Hoffard
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun to me John.

DLH

John Dunkle
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys!!!

As well - I'm actually trying to program in a software "hack" to allow a "click to vote for this picture" on a per picture basis in the album itself.. Of course - I could still make the "voting" a poll in a thread (which is how I do it on my other sites)..

Like you two - I think it would be neat for a lot of reasons - and since hunting season is "right around the corner" for me (I have twitches at night in anticipation!!!!) can only imagine some of the great photos that folks might submit...

My thanks again!!!

John

Dave Suponski
09-23-2009, 04:52 PM
John,I also think it would ba lot of fun, Do your magic :bowdown:

Bill Murphy
09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
OK, John, what are your "other firearms sites"?

John Dunkle
09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
;)

http://p38forum.com/

On the that forum? Site stats are:
Total posts 118,631 | Total topics 18,980 | Total members 2,869

Or you can try my other (larger firearm) site:
Site stats are:
Threads: 21,361, Posts: 157,288, Members: 6,769

You can find that here:
http://lugerforum.com/ - and click on Message Board

I also do a few others - but that's for another day ;)

Best to ya'

:cheers:

JD

Francis Morin
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=John Dunkle;4444];)

http://p38forum.com/

On the that forum? Site stats are:
Total posts 118,631 | Total topics 18,980 | Total members 2,869

Or you can try my other (larger firearm) site:
Site stats are:
Threads: 21,361, Posts: 157,288, Members: 6,769

You can find that here:
http://lugerforum.com/ - and click on Message Board

John- I think a Parker of the Month with photos and details is a great idea-with the meeting and auction coming up at Pintail this week-end I am sure you will get major league support for this- Go For It!! And if I come across some Pistolen 08 in my search for older SA Colts, I'll give you a shout. Luger pistols have a cachet, just as our beloved Parkers do, and they are fun to shoot as well!!

Phillip Carr
09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
This is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing some nice guns.

Phil

Richard Flanders
09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I like it John. Go for it.

John Dunkle
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys!!

As well - give me a day or two to come up with some thoughts (I did a dry run today on some posting/voting - so that's working ;) )...

As well - do we want to do it by season (motif's, if you know what I mean?) Like:

Parkers on opening day (hunting season); or
Parkers in Winter..

Well - you know... As these can be made into calendars - maybe the seasons/motifs make sense (I don't know?)...

Or - do we just leave it "open" to any Parker - Any Time....??

Best to you folks - and my thanks again!! As well - any suggestions, thoughts, comments, flames(<----errrr - maybe not that.. ;) ) would be great!

Best,

John

Dave Suponski
09-24-2009, 06:37 PM
John,My vote is to keep it simple...Just the nicest gun gets the vote.

John Dunkle
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
OK here we go..!

On Wednesday of this week, I'll put up a thread in one of the forums (probably this - the general forum) asking for pics during October for the November Parker of the Month.. I'll close that thread on or about October 25 for photo submissions, and then open it for voting for the last week....

This should be fun - and again, my thanks to all of you...!!

John

Dean Romig
09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds like fun.
So, as I understand it, those posting pictures are encouraged to be creative in the setting of the gun with an appropriate background, e.g., birds, split-rail fences, barnsides or whatever helps to set the mood, right?

John Dunkle
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
HAH! In short - YES!!!! In fact - I was just working on the rules for the first post.. Here is what I'm thinking...????

DRAFT ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY!!!!!

All who are registered to the Parker Forums are encouraged to participate in the "Parker of the Month" contest!

The Ground rules are simple.....

Please post up to FIVE of YOUR (sorry - they MUST BE YOUR PHOTOS!) pictures in this thread. Near the end of this month, I will close this thread - and add the pictures from this thread into a NEW thread, so folks can VOTE for the "Parker of the month".... The winning picture will appear on the opening page of: http://parkerguns.org for the next month.

We encourage you to enter even if you only have one photo that you like, as folks will be looking for "that Parker Quailty" that defines "Why we do this", so that one photo could be a winning photo. Those my be of a Parker, hunting scene with a Parker, still-life or even an action shot.

Members may comment on the photo entries in the photo contest thread and leave nice comments about other images in the thread if you feel the urge to do so. BUT - please do not post any photos that are not intended to be entries. Pictures NOT posted as entries will be deleted from the thread.....

Editing rule: Altered Images—Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e. hand coloring, toning, bleaching, collage and photo composites, etc.) are accepted. In short - "show us what you got" - BUT - the Parker Shotgun must remain "as is" (sorry, you can't make your Trojan an "A-1" with photoshop, if you know what I mean ;) )

Occasionally, some member(s) or organization(s) may donate prizes for the monthly contest. These will be announced in the appropriate month's thread.

All votes and prize winners will be final - SO WAIT UNTIL THE VOTING THREAD to "express your opinion "I'll vote for that" ;) ""

By entering, participants grant permission for their winning photos to be used as an main photo on the PGCA Website, Calendar (with attribution - of course) and maybe other areas of the PGCA site....

That is all...

:cheers:

John

David Dwyer
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
John
Great idea. I would sugest a monthy theme-28ga,c grade, double trap etc.
David

John Dunkle
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi David!

My thanks!!! I agree that themes would be a terrific idea - but, I don't know what to expect for numbers submitted? So, my fear is - if we start doing "themes" at the start, we might only have a couple of photo submissions per month, especially on rarer Parkers? Just my thought? That being said - if it become wildly popular, then the themes idea would certainly be successful..!

David, my thanks again!

John