PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't resist !


Jerry VanHorn
10-09-2026, 06:51 PM
My birthday is coming up....and I decided I needed to buy myself a present....I've been watching that 20 Trojan on Tanner Sports....Nice gun..26"...M/F..1914/Rib extension....Original buttplate...twin ivory that I'm sure have been added..90% varnish..90% blue 10% color....only floorplate screws have been touched....I thought it was a buy.....

Bob Jurewicz
10-09-2026, 07:42 PM
All have to feed our passion.
Bob Jurewicz

Stephen Hodges
10-09-2026, 07:46 PM
Tell us more:corn:

John B White
10-09-2026, 09:36 PM
I’ve a doll’s head 20 gauge Trojan with 28” barrels choked modified and full that always brings a smile to my face. I think sometimes that I shoot it best of all my Parker’s. In fact I just took it out with its matching 16 gauge sibling to take to five stand tomorrow prior to seeing this post.

Do it!! (Unless there’s an obvious fault with it.) Happy birthday!

Buy the ticket, and enjoy.

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 05:26 AM
The Trojan 20 is on the way....For a market snapshot....I paid $1450....Tony G. has a very, very nice 20 on Gunbroker.....$4600. I guess the rest lie somewhere between...I think I got a bargain...........

Frank Srebro
10-10-2026, 07:32 AM
On the Tanner Trojan 20g, it looked to me that the stock had been refinished. I could be wrong but just ‘sayin. Nevertheless a nice gun at a good final price.

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 08:08 AM
Looked OK to me....but...if it has been....doesn't bother me....I'm not that much of a purist. Not that many 20 gauge Parkers with condition and 26" barrels around...especially in that $$$ range....I'll let my kids and grandkids worry about it..

Don Anderson
10-10-2026, 10:52 AM
Congrats on a great buy. Please post some pictures when you get it.

Dave Noreen
10-10-2026, 12:03 PM
When the Trojan was introduced, it was only offered in very limited barrel lengths -- 12-gauge 28- & 30-inch and 16- & 20-gauge only 28-inch. The 1913 Trojan flyer --

144315

1916 catalog --

144316

By the 1923 Parker Bros. catalog the 26-inch barrels had been added to the offerings --

144317

edgarspencer
10-10-2026, 12:12 PM
But, without rib extension.

Bill Murphy
10-10-2026, 02:57 PM
They must have "deviated from listed specs" at least once when they built my 30" 20 gauge.

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 04:10 PM
HMMM...This is a 1914 Trojan...yet the info that is presented says only 28" on 20 gauge....Blank is at end of barrels as it should be .... and barrels touch . Any thoughts ??

Dave Noreen
10-10-2026, 04:42 PM
Replacement/extra set of barrels added later. Folks on the factory floor doing things the folks in the office hadn't caught up with. Cut camouflaged. A PGCA letter may tell. A good picture of the barrel flats may show a clue.

The Trojan table, page 246 of The Parker Story shows 1,695 26-inch barrel and 3,758 28-inch barrel 20-gauge Trojans. They don't show Murphy's 30-inch 20-gauge gun but do show 3 30-inch 16-gauges.

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 05:52 PM
There is a good shot of the flats....Stamped OV small r..... 3 small 1 is weight stamp... Jim Geary stamp.....Looks original to me ?..I bought my first Parker in 1976..PH 20... Have had several since then...including another PH 20 Damascus that sold at Pachmayers home auction...and have several now....Never paid much attention about the flats !...It does have double ivories ?..I sent Peter an Email to measure the barrels and get back to me..

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 06:03 PM
Asked GOOGLE the question..(How in the Hell can all that info. be accessed that quick ?)..It said Yes 26" Trojans were made in 1914..and even gave a serial number 169001..Said 26" is scarce..

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 06:12 PM
The gun I bought is 27 numbers lower..

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 06:44 PM
Could some one check the book for...168974 ? I can't find my book....That might show something....especially with the numbers close together...

allen newell
10-10-2026, 06:45 PM
Jerry you did just fine.

William Woods
10-10-2026, 07:14 PM
168974 is not listed in the serialization book.

Jerry VanHorn
10-10-2026, 07:19 PM
Found my book.. Neither of those numbers are listed..

Dave Noreen
10-11-2026, 12:22 AM
Checking the Research Letter pick on the Home Page shows the PGCA has records for a letter on 168974.

Bill Murphy
10-11-2026, 09:37 AM
There is an order book entry on my 30" 20 gauge Trojan, even though the TPS does not show it in the "numbers made" section.