PDA

View Full Version : New Owner!

Frank Merchel
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Just located my late uncles Parker SxS, Grade 0-VHE, 28 in. Vulcan steel barrels, 1 ½ frame, 12 ga., Serial # 225455 circa 1927, Stock is pistol grip with original butt plate, Splintered fore end. Barrel and trigger guard Blue look very good. Also have the original catalogue hand dated May 14th, 1927. Frame screws are unmolested.

This Parker looks to be original except for the stock butt end plate which has been replaced past and references Winchester Repeating Co.

What is required to preserve the original condition and patina and prevent further spotting? I have only wiped with silicone cloth.

I have attached pictures and would appreciate feedback regarding overall condition and rough value.

Regards,
Frank

Dean Romig
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Frank, welcome to the PGCA forum.

What on earth did 'somebody' do to the frame??

Frank Merchel
05-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Dear Dean,

I have no history with regards to modification from original surface finish of the frame. My observation of the frame did not indicate buffing or polishing. In review of pictures of similiar parkers lead me to believe the frame was always a contrasting color to the barrels. Please explain in addition detail the variance you noted from OEM specification.

Regards

Eric Eis
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Frank, I think what Dean means is the frame and forend latch almost look like they were bead blasted just a very plain overall gray, I have never seen something like that before. Maybe you could give us a few more closeup pictures. Eric

Jeff Bonadurer
05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Frank,

Welcome and congrats on the Parker.

Best regards,

Jeff Bonadurer

Jack Cronkhite
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Ditto on the congrats. All Parkers warrant that. :) The coloration is very far from OEM.

This is claimed to be original. Snagged from Guns International

http://images.gunsinternational.com/listings/100167751-8-L.jpg
http://images.gunsinternational.com/listings/100167751-2-L.jpg
http://images.gunsinternational.com/listings/100167751-3-L.jpg

When I soaked the rust seized action/frame of 108603 for a very long time, the rust did come off and left a very similar look to the metal. Kinda like "in the white". Maybe it was chemically treated a long time ago and then left before doing anything further. Just a thought. Also noted that the stock head appears to have been "pinned". This may indicate the stock head is cracked inside or it may have been done as a preventive measure to avoid cracking/breaking in the field. This is seen on occasion and is also not OEM. Wonderful to have some original paper with the gun.

Harry Collins
05-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Frank,

Welcome Aboard! It is a dream for most to own a family Parker. Your Uncles 12 gauge VH will serve you and yours for many years to come. The frames of Parkers were case colored as was the forend latch. The trigger guard bow was niter blued. It looks as if your family Parker received a good dose of Navy Jelly or something similar or was parkerized (nothing to do with Parker shotguns, but a finish often used on military guns).

Kindest, Harry

Dean Romig
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Frank, Jack's illustrations are what is considered to be 'original Parker Bros. charcoal case hardened colors'. Yours appears to have been chemically treated with something like Naval Jelly or a similar product which stripped away everything but the steel itself. It appears that all the metal parts except the barrels received the treatment.

Jack Cronkhite
05-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Frank: There are some folks who can return your gun to close to its original glory. As for value in current condition?? I leave that to the more experienced buyers/sellers here.

Cheers,
Jack

Frank Merchel
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Appreciate all the feedback with regards to the frame and forend latch which have altered finish from OEM. I will look closer at the stock which has been "pinned".

What is required to preserve the current condition, patina and prevent further spotting? I have only wiped with silicone cloth.

Lastly how do these alterations from OEM affect the value? Should the Parker be preserved as is or have some of the deficiences restored?

Jack Cronkhite
05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Frank: I will jump in here and stand to be corrected. In it's current state, there is limited "collector" interest. If it is a safe shooter (qualified gunsmith examination), I'm guessing it is may be a 500$ gun or less. If you are wanting to sell thinking it was worth a lot because it is a Parker, I think you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want to keep it as a family heirloom and want to restore it to the point of the pictures shown, you are looking at 2000 plus I think. All you need to not have any further spots is to give it a light coating of gun oil. You can likely remove the metal blemishes with just a bit of Hoppes #9 and some elbow grease with a soft cloth or less elbow grease with some light rubbing using 0000 steel wool or bronze wool. You could also use rust/blue remover from Birchwood Casey.
I'm a sucker for family guns. I would minimally thoroughly clean it up and if my family member had special significance in my life, pretty sure I would throw away some $$ and then shoot the heck out of it chasing birds.

Cheers,
Jack

Frank Merchel
05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Dear Jack,

My current interest to keep as family heirloom and do not want to do anything to further degrade the value. Of course for me to invest money to restore the current deficiencies..... I want to smart about it.

With the Parkers current condition can I be safe to say its value would increase some proportion to the restoration investment or would its value always remain low because it lacks original integrity.

Sorry I am an Engineer and must rationalize everything!:rotf:

Regards,
Frank

Dean Romig
05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Frank, I will jump back in and say that the dollar amount you invest to improve the condition/appearance of your Parker might only be realized by 1/2 in estimating it's value when the restoration is completed.

George Lander
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Frank: Where are you located? Perhaps some here could suggest someone close to you who could look at your Parker and give you a price on restoration.

Best Regards, George

Frank Merchel
05-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Really appreciate the support from eveyone with regards to path forward questions. I am located in Southern New Hampshire.

Regards,

Frank

Dave Suponski
05-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Frank, We have a great bunch of members in southern New Hampshire. Perhaps some of them will chime in here to take a look at your Parker.