PDA

View Full Version : Question about forend checkering patterns on BH(E)'s

Craig Larter
10-03-2023, 05:32 PM
I have a BHE bottom gun 111xxx, circa 1902 that letters as a BH. It now has ejectors and forend checkering that is not consistent with BH"s made in 1902. The top gun shows what would be typical of the early period. When did Parker go to the full forend checkering on the BH(E)'s?? Can I assume that the conversion to ejectors was made during that later period and when would that be??? I assume when a gun was converted to ejectors new forend wood was required?? Thanks Craig

Donald F. Mills
10-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Craig,
I have a DH that letters with a fully checkered forend as an option. Perhaps that is what the one has. I will see if I can find the letter later this evening.

Dean Romig
10-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Craig, I would presume that to be the case but I would expect Parker or Remington, whomever did the ejector conversion, to have asked the customer of his preference of checkering patterms... assuming it wasn't "checked all over" to begin with.

Brian Dudley
10-03-2023, 06:07 PM
I would not necessarily call a full cover checkered forend as “standard” on grade 5 guns in a given period. Maybe somewhat more common on later guns. But either the multi-point pattern or full cover would be appropriate for the grade.

Dave Noreen
10-03-2023, 06:29 PM
I just thumbed through my catalogs and the large catalogs (flying Brandt, pine cones, etc.) show the full coverage on the Qualities AH(E) and BH(E) well before those thrifty Yanks sprung for a new cut of the AH(E) and BH(E) for the pocket catalogs. First pocket I have with the full coverage is 1927.

Dean Romig
10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Actually, according to pg. 308 of TPS in the Grades section, seems to indicate the full coverage checkering pattern was in fact a standard pattern. But the B grade could be ordered with any feature (within reason and good taste) that a customer wanted, and if fully checkered forend was available it seems to have been ordered at least as often as the C-grade style of checkering.

Craig Larter
10-04-2023, 04:27 AM
OK thanks all, I thought I could pin down the date the ejectors were added based on the checkering style of the forend, no such luck. One other question. The forend with the full checkering is more blunt/rounded at the tip. Is that any clue to the time period made?
Don the letter says noting about checkering style.

Donald F. Mills
10-04-2023, 06:13 AM
Craig,
I found my letter this morning and as much as I thought it mentioned it, it doesn’t. Not sure where I thought I saw fully checkered as an option. The mind does some interesting things as I get older.

Reggie Bishop
10-04-2023, 06:40 AM
There was a DHE 20 gauge w/ 30" barrels that sold a couple of years ago that had a letter stating the gun was to have a fully checkered forend. I reviewed the letter and the gun.

Dean Romig
10-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Generally speaking Craig, the more rounded or blunt forend is how Remington would have made it. Not saying yours was done by Remington but that is a distinct possibility.

Are there any Remington service codes on the barrel flats?

Brian Dudley
10-04-2023, 07:32 AM
That tip would likely be 1920s or later.

If the forend wood has the grade stamp inside the latch inletting then it is pretty late.

Bill Murphy
10-04-2023, 08:35 AM
I don't think that the page 308 paragraph in TPS actually indicates the "checked all over" was ever standard. It may not have been an extra charge item, but surely not standard.

Dean Romig
10-04-2023, 09:16 AM
Bill - there were two styles or patterns of forend checkering offered for the Grade 5 with a splinter forend. It was the customer’s choice which he wanted - the BH was always a special order gun so I think a “standard” pattern may be a misnomer… it was simply a matter of either-or…

Randy G Roberts
10-04-2023, 10:09 AM
On the left a 1919 BHE 10 bore and a 1906 BHE 20 on the right. Similar in shape to my eye. The letter on the 10 bore does not make mention of the pattern.

Craig Larter
10-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Generally speaking Craig, the more rounded or blunt forend is how Remington would have made it. Not saying yours was done by Remington but that is a distinct possibility.

Are there any Remington service codes on the barrel flats?

Dean no service codes.

Dean Romig
10-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Then it was most likely done at Meriden. Strange there is no record of it.

Craig Larter
10-04-2023, 11:42 AM
Thanks all for your valuable insights I appreciate it very much.

Dean Romig
10-04-2023, 01:35 PM
Come to think of it, yours looks more Meriden made than my 84088 Remington redone CHE grade forend... and compare the cgheckering borders too. Remington didn't know anything about Parker Bros' mullered borders...

Bill Murphy
10-04-2023, 01:59 PM
No mystery about "no records on a repair". Lots of missing order books in all eras, no order books at all after 1919.

Dan Steingraber
10-04-2023, 07:46 PM

The right forend is the 12 gauge BHE very near yours in serial number. The left forend is a 20 gauge BHE with a 230 + serial number. I love the look of the full checkered forend.

Jim Thynne
10-06-2023, 07:42 PM
Every time I look at this site I see something I didn't know. Thank you guys for all the input, this old guy has either forgotten, or just learned!!