PDA

View Full Version : NEW LOW PRESSURE HUNTING AMMO

Andrew Sacco
07-14-2023, 10:51 AM
Hi folks.

As Parker Pages advertising manager I'm very happy to introduce a new advertiser in our fine magazine. I think you'll be excited to know that Keith Gee with Salt Creek Custom Ammunition is offering low pressure bismuth 10 and 12 gauge hunting loads (among others). Please visit his site, contact him for any information, and above all thank him for trying to fill a void with his products for the side by side community. The link to his website is below. Welcome to Parker Universe Keith.

https://saltcreekammo.com/

Mike Franzen
07-14-2023, 11:30 AM
That ammo looks interesting. I’m assuming since Tungsten is one of the hardest substances on earth it should only be used in open choked guns?

Mills Morrison
07-14-2023, 12:29 PM
I've used Bismuth in old doubles many times. I was wondering whether Tungsten is ok or not.

Jeff Sweeter
07-14-2023, 04:35 PM
Talking with Tom Armbrust,he experimented with some TSS in a Win.model 42 skeet.It patterned tight in the skeet choke,he shot a turkey with it and ended up with a nasty groove cut in the barrel.He talked about double wadding it so it wouldn't groove the barrel.Another thing if it's shot through a tight choke it is so hard it doesn't squish and could ring bulge a barrel.I won't shoot it in any of my old doubles.Just my 2 cents.

Russell E. Cleary
07-14-2023, 05:29 PM
Good work, Andy, for signing-on a new advertiser.

Andrew Sacco
07-14-2023, 05:57 PM
Good work, Andy, for signing-on a new advertiser.

Thank you Russ. It appears one of our members sent him my way but I'm not sure who. I told Keith we want him to succeed and Mike Koneski told him there's a void in low pressure lead shells as well. Hopefully he can try to address this as there are still many folks who do not hand load. He's located out in Nephi, Utah if we have any members near there.

Pete Lester
07-14-2023, 07:43 PM
I for one hope Salt Creek Ammo is successful and goes forward with all manner of low pressure short shell loadings in a variety of gauges. Competition and choice is good for consumers. I wouldn't wait to see if they have what you want I would contact Keith directly and see if they will do a custom order.

Andrew Sacco
07-14-2023, 08:53 PM
Pete I haven’t talked to Keith yet but he’s been very responsive and timely. His website says custom orders. So we will see.

J. Scott Hanes
07-14-2023, 09:47 PM
I would highly caution anyone using TSS (or any tungsten-based material) in any barrel not rated appropriately for STEEL shot. Tungsten is harder than steel; much harder than lead. I developed the Wingmaster HD line of Remington Tungsten-Bronze and also the Remington brand of Hevi-Shot. No way would I use either of those products in any shotgun other than a "modern" one. It does perform magnificently; just not in the older guns.

Jeff Sweeter
07-15-2023, 01:23 AM
I hope I wasn't taken wrong in my prior post and hope Salt Creek Ammo is very successful with their new Ammo.I was just passing along info to be cautious with Tungsten in our older guns.Jeff

Stan Hillis
07-15-2023, 06:39 AM
I hope they are successful, too. But, at some of the prices posted on their website I foresee a very limited customer base.

John Davis
07-15-2023, 07:05 AM
The 10 gauge Bismuth looks like a great option. As to the limited market, I’d say they were trying to compete with the likes of RST and not Vista Outdoors or Winchester. So, price ain’t got much to do with it. More like supply.

Keith Gee
07-15-2023, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, Keith here with Salt Creek ammo. We offer a variety of different loads. All of our low pressure ammo is loaded with copper plated bismuth. I don't feel comfortable developing TSS loads for vintage guns like that. But if you've got a modern gun we've got tons of TSS options and bismuth. 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 410, 16, 28, etc. 12 gauge low pressure is 2.5" in an 1-1/8oz (in development, will be done soon).

Ken Hill
07-15-2023, 04:37 PM
Hey Keith,

I don’t see any 2 1/2” loads listed on your website. Are you updating the site with these loads?

Ken

Keith Gee
07-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Hey Keith,

I don’t see any 2 1/2” loads listed on your website. Are you updating the site with these loads?

Ken
The 12 gauge is still under development but will be released soon. You can buy the 10 gauge now on our website though. Saltcreekammo.com

Dave Tatman
07-15-2023, 05:07 PM
Thanks for coming on board, Keith, and welcome.

Do you do any 2" 12 GA loads?

Dave

Mike Franzen
07-15-2023, 06:39 PM
I have been wanting to try tungsten in a small bore on turkeys. Glad to have you on the forum. We burn a lot of powder.

John Davis
07-15-2023, 07:32 PM
RST offered a wonderful low pressure paper Trap load. Excellent handicap shell. I would love to see you gentleman introduce a low pressure, 3 dram, 1 1/8th ounce, 1200 fps, 8 or 7 1/2, Trap shell. Although, I might be one of only a few customers.

Keith Gee
07-16-2023, 02:16 PM
We make a variety of loads, mostly with TSS... All low pressure hunting loads will be with bismuth. I know TSS can be shot through old guns rated for high pressure/modern ammo, but am not 100% sure on demascus or twist barrels. I wouldn't do it just for safety sake.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I hope to be able to supply what I can!

MattHaney
07-17-2023, 07:33 PM
Thank you Keith!