PDA

View Full Version : Leather forearm slips

Richard Mason
03-19-2023, 03:44 PM
And one use those slip on spring loaded leather forearms that cover the barrels so your fingers don’t get hot or for better holding

Seems to be a few on the market and I was thinking of maybe ordering one and would like to know who’s fit the best on Parker 12’s

If you have one , could you please share a picture and name of where you got it

Please and thanks

Jeff Christie
03-19-2023, 05:13 PM
Many years ago I thought I needed these slides or whatever. I was shooting a fair amount of trap with a wonderful later built VH. A wiser fellow than I suggested just wearing a good glove and saving the blue on the barrels. Seemed reasonable to me and I never looked back. My hand never suffered a bit.

Garry L Gordon
03-19-2023, 05:34 PM
As Jeff mentions, they can wear away your barrel bluing.

edgarspencer
03-19-2023, 05:43 PM
British Sporting Arms has them in stock, most gauges. If heat is the issue, I just wear an old driving glove, but I did buy one for one of my English guns to extend the fore end.

Brian Dudley
03-19-2023, 09:53 PM
Due to the variations in forend shapes, they will all “fit” differently on different guns. I had one that I used on some of my 12g guns. And found it helpful with hot barrels. Mostly on one lefever that had very light barrels and got warm pretty quickly. I had a 20g that I was never able to fine one that fit well on the forend tip.

Richard Mason
03-19-2023, 11:38 PM
Due to the variations in forend shapes, they will all “fit” differently on different guns. I had one that I used on some of my 12g guns. And found it helpful with hot barrels. Mostly on one lefever that had very light barrels and got warm pretty quickly. I had a 20g that I was never able to fine one that fit well on the forend tip.

I’d like to find or buy one , as long as it slide and fis ove the front forearm on the 12 gauge Parker’s

I found lots online and for like $75 , I just thought if they good and also protect the front wood , then I would , but if it’s going to wear on the blueing, then I’ll just wear a nice lite pair of good leather gloves

Brian Dudley
03-20-2023, 06:36 AM
They are not really designed to go over the forend. But be notched out around it.

Larry Stauch
03-20-2023, 09:13 AM
One of my friends thought he needed one of those for dove shooting on his Parker 20 because the barrels were getting hot with all the action. So as we were shooting in knee high golden grass of the late summer, and moving around a lot, within the first 5 minutes that beautiful leather slip slipped right into that grass during a reload never to be seen again. With eyes to the sky for the next in comer, you can reload without ever looking at your gun. Cured me of ever wanting one.

John Reed
03-21-2023, 07:50 PM
This the one I use on my DHE. It is from Galzan. I formed it to really wrap around the barrels. It feels great in my hand and looks great as well. It's a great solution for shooting clays with a splinter forearm.

Bobby Cash
03-21-2023, 09:51 PM
Interesting phenomenon I noticed.
The use of one or these barrel guards with the forend hand further down the barrels
always gave me the sensation of a greater length of pull.

Pete Lester
03-22-2023, 04:19 AM
Galazan advertises their leather hand guards to be made in a way that is safe for barrel bluing. Years ago I read something about the tannic acid on the leather is what affects the bluing if you leave it on the gun. I have used Galazan hand guard on a DHE for over 12 years (not shot a lot but left on the gun for prolonged periods) with no ill effects on the barrel finish.

Richard Mason
03-22-2023, 08:24 AM
Galazan advertises their leather hand guards to be made in a way that is safe for barrel bluing. Years ago I read something about the tannic acid on the leather is what affects the bluing if you leave it on the gun. I have used Galazan hand guard on a DHE for over 12 years (not shot a lot but left on the gun for prolonged periods) with no ill effects on the barrel finish.

Thanks for sharing that info ,