PDA

View Full Version : Two Kansas Cocks

Bill Bolyard
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
In December of 2010 I killed 4 roosters in 15 minutes just out side of Dodge city with my two Llewllins Judy and Parker. Two singles and one double using my 12ga DH. Two of the birds where second year, and dandys, so off to the taxidermist I went. Well they just showed up this week and I decided to build a case for them. I am happy how it turned out, although I don't think I want Mr. Swanson to inspect it too closely. Mind you I have seen his work.

Bill

John Dunkle
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Bill..!!!

That display is simply WONDERFUL!! I love it!!!!

As for your Llewllins - Judy and Parker.. Give them a hug and an extra treat from me tonight... It was pleasure to hunt over both of them. Thanks for that privilege....

John

Bill Bolyard
02-26-2011, 03:54 PM
John,

I hope to do it again with you sometime. Parker your favorite says hi!

Bruce Day
02-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Nicely done.

John Dunkle
02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Bill....

YEP - That's is my "Parker"... I love that guy....

Bruce....

We need to do this again next year! I missed this year, as I didn't get back from Haiti when I expected... Dang it...

John

Bill Bolyard
02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Bruce,

If you ever need one let me know. Dunkle and I will bring it out during Bird season:rotf:

John Dallas
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
As Bill is from Northern Michgan, I would assume the the Notice" sign is from the Turtle Lake Club in the club country of Mich, About 21,000 acres at last count. They still hunt deer the old-fashioned way - driven out to their blinds in a horse-drawn wagon

scott kittredge
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
In December of 2010 I killed 4 roosters in 15 minutes just out side of Dodge city with my two Llewllins Judy and Parker. Two singles and one double using my 12ga DH. Two of the birds where second year, and dandys, so off to the taxidermist I went. Well they just showed up this week and I decided to build a case for them. I am happy how it turned out, although I don't think I want Mr. Swanson to inspect it too closely. Mind you I have seen his work.

Bill

that is a nice mount, love the dead mounts. the case looks GREAT, i wish i could do wood work like that!!!:bowdown: scott

Bill Bolyard
02-26-2011, 04:56 PM
As Bill is from Northern Michgan, I would assume the the Notice" sign is from the Turtle Lake Club in the club country of Mich, About 21,000 acres at last count. They still hunt deer the old-fashioned way - driven out to their blinds in a horse-drawn wagon

John,

When I was a young boy I use to roam the property next to Turtle lake. At last count they had 26,000 acres 18 members and 102 oil/gas wells. The membership roster is also interesting. There is some guy over there that owns some little trailer company named Freuhoff. I always wondered if any of there members lurked here.

Bill

Bill Bolyard
02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
John,

Those signs were put up in the 60's a friend of mine that use to be the Captain of the hunt at the Beaver Lake club gave it to me this last deer season There is a wonderful book written about Turtle lake written by Harry s New in the 20s

Bill

Dave Suponski
02-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Wonderful...Simply wonderful...:)

Mike McKinney
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
That is a beautiful mount and display case, and what a nice Parker dog!!!
Mike

John Dunkle
02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
John,

I hope to do it again with you sometime. Parker your favorite says hi! I'm sorry - but I'm going to brag about Bill's dog for a minute. Mainly Parker - a little about Judy...

When we were out west - it was a cold and windy most of the time. Parker and I had bonded a bit. Not much, as Parker isn't my puppy. He is Bill's dog. But Parker is a special dog, and for some reason - he and I hit it off pretty well. I don't say much when working dogs - as well, dogs are quiet by nature. They don't "talk", or "yell", or really communicate except through their eyes, body motion and what the say through their body motion. If you "get that" - then they talk louder than words..? As I train hunting dogs - I look for non-verbal signs from my dogs...

Parker is "just one of those dogs".....

One afternoon, I asked Bill if I could work Parker with me. Bill was more than willing to oblige, so Parker and I set out through acres of milo and cut corn. He'd cast out - check back, wait for my hand signal - and cast out again. Never too far away - always in front of my line, working shoulder to shoulder in field width in front. His tail told me what he was working - and an almost silent whistle from my lips would bring him back - and back up to cast out around again...

Bill did all the training of his puppy - Parker - and it made my day, or week - to work over such a wonderful hunting buddy.

That was the highlight of my week - that week.

Wonderful dogs. Wonderful hunting with Bill, Bruce, Doc, Charlie and all...

But - my mind memories always go back to the dogs and the Parkers.

In this case both - Parker and Parkers..

Thanks for the Memories,

John

This is "Parker" - Bill's "Parker"

chris dawe
02-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Love it sir ,wonderfully done and really neat idea

Bill Bolyard
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
John,
Here is a picture from that same trip of Parker. Thanks for being so kind, I consider my dogs average at best. Now if you want to talk about a great trainer, I saw Dunkle working with Herzog, and Day in Kansas, and had them casting and comming in no time, although one of them was a little stubborn.:rotf:

Bill

John Dunkle
02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Another great picture Bill - thanks for sharing! As well, yep working with Charlie and Bruce was fun. And you are right, Charlie was at first a little stubborn, until I got his e-collar adjusted properly..? Bruce, on the other hand was much less stubborn - and Bruce responded to my hand signals just fine..??

OH - I'm sorry - you probably meant their dogs???

Compared to Charlie and Bruce, their dogs were much easier to work with..?? :) :)

(Just kidding Bruce & Charlie - sort of?? ;) )

John

Bruce Day
02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I have no idea what you are implying John. I can't imagine an easier person to work with than Charlie, and as for me, there is nobody who is easier to work with.

Out there again this coming week and when the weather warms up, out there for several days to fix the cabin plumbing ( the pipes froze and burst ) and do some re-roofing. If only Triple was any good with a hammer. Its been an ugly winter.

I won't do the Bike Across Kansas this year because I am going after the smallmouth bass spawn in the Minnesota Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness during that week. This year the BAK has an overnighter in Ness City KS and is a generally flat route except some rolling through the Flint Hills......anyone can do such an easy, short route this year, something around 400 miles. It would be a good time for people who are interested in hunting Kansas to come on out and see the country. last year I saw pheasant and quail all the way across, and one time John D called, I stopped pedaling and pulled over to talk, and a disturbed rooster started cackling just a few yards away in a wheat field.

Some pheasant are quite tame when its not hunting season and are possessive about their territory. A couple weeks ago, Ross Berke was telling me that he was looking at buying an old farm truck out in a pasture in SoDak and fiddling around trying to get it started and a rooster started following him around and pecking at his leg.

2010, north of Oakley:

John Dunkle
02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I have no idea what you are implying John. I can't imagine an easier person to work with than Charlie, and as for me, there is nobody who is easier to work with...... Ummm... Sure..??.. OK.. I'm *sure* I have you two confused with someone else....????

:rotf:
__________ :rotf:
___________________ :rotf:

As well - pass on my best regards to the folks out there, OK? I wish I lived closer - or at least within driving distance... It's beautiful country in that area.. As for a tough winter, I know the feeling!!! It's snowing again up here - about 6" this AM alone, and it's still coming down..?

And also - give Triple a belly rub from me - I look forward to catching with all of you this season..!

Best to you Bruce!

John

Bill Bolyard
02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Ummm... Sure..??.. OK.. I'm *sure* I have you two confused with someone else....????

:rotf:
__________ :rotf:
___________________ :rotf:

As well - pass on my best regards to the folks out there, OK? I wish I lived closer - or at least within driving distance... It's beautiful country in that area.. As for a tough winter, I know the feeling!!! It's snowing again up here - about 6" this AM alone, and it's still coming down..?

And also - give Triple a belly rub from me - I look forward to catching with all of you this season..!

Best to you Bruce!

John

:corn:

Jim Pasman
02-27-2011, 12:23 PM
That's a truly creative mount, Bill - beautiful!