PDA

View Full Version : 1903 PARKER 16 GA O FRAME

Stephen Hodges
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I would like to apologize up front for the “new guy” question, as you have probably been asked this a thousand times. I am not new to doubles, but new to parkers. I have decided that I want a VH grade 16 gauge original gun with a O frame. Ideally I would like 28” barrels, but would settle for 26” in the right gun. I have done my “due diligence” in searching the Blue Book of gun values for the configuration, and have searched the gun auctions and selling sites to try and find some “comps” of what the real world price should be for this type of gun, with condition being the “wild card” of course. I have also searched this site, as well as others for information of original configurations on these guns, and how to at least identify frame size. Now comes the question. I have located a 1903 VH 16 gauge with 26" Vulcan steel uncut barrels choked Improved cylinder x Full in a O frame and 2 ¾” chambers. It has about three "buggered" screws.LOP is 14” to original hard dogs head butt plate. It has a semi-pistol grip style stock. The gun looks to be in at least 50 to 60% original condition. The seller states that the gun is all original. I set the percentage estimate based on photographs provided by the seller. Photos show that all numbers match, the O frame mark is correct, and the V grade proof is also correct. My question is based more on originality of the gun than the price to be paid for it. Do I need to look at anything else to try and determine that this is an originally configured gun? Or anything else that I need to look out for, or specific questions to ask the seller? I know determining the originality of the finish is impossible to do based on description so I am not referring to finish. And the price is $3500. Thanks

Chris Travinski
02-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Post the serial number and we'll look in the Parker Id book, if it's in there It'll give some information about how it left the factory. Pictures would be a great help if you want a price guess. If it's as you describe the price seems fair.
Chris

Stephen Hodges
02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Here are some pictures. I am trying to get the serial #.

Eric Eis
02-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Looking at the pictures the gun looks like it's priced fairly if it is original and I would say it's priced on the low side. Eric

Chris Travinski
02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I agree with Eric, looks like a good buy.

Steve Huffman
02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
In the third picture the barrels dont look to mate the top ofthe frame right ,looks alittle low. Maybe just the picture.

Mark Ouellette
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Stephen Hodges,

I want to personally thank you for being a "new guy" who has joined the Parker Gun Collector's Association. That to me says something very positive about your character. Heck, I'd lay odds that you may even be (present or past) a Marine or other service member. :)

Respectfully,
Mark

Chuck Bishop
02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd have the seller post pictures of the serial number on the water table and the serial number on the side of the barrel lug. The barrels and the top of the breach balls should be even. Post pictures of the serial numbers here if you can.

Bill Murphy
02-26-2011, 05:55 PM
To play Devil's Advocate, I would say that the barrels should be even across the top of the breech balls, not like the pictures. To be honest, the pictures may be distorted. For $3500, the wall thickness should be measured. On a normal 0 frame 16, it should be ???. On any American made gun you would pay that price for, it should be at least .030. The bores should be within a couple of thousandths of .665.

Stephen Hodges
02-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Let me just say thanks for all the PGCA Member replies. If a PGCA member has a parker for sale that is similar to this gun, I would be more than glad to consider purchasing it. To me their is some comfort in dealing with a PGCA member.

Stephen Hodges
02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Some more pics. Thanks for all the replies. And no, I have not been in the military, but I have spent the past 36 years in Law Enforcement.

Dave Miles
02-26-2011, 06:26 PM
$3500.00 for a VH, 16 gauge?
Where have I been the last year?
I thought values came down a little, not increased 50%.
But hey, people in Michigan are always the last to know.

Chuck Bishop
02-26-2011, 07:01 PM
It's not listed in the Serialization book however a research letter is available. I'll let other more knowledgeable people comment on the serial number stamping on the barrel lug.

Kenny Graft
02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Better check the wall thickness...the right tube looks pretty thin. I just returned a gun to Cabela's that had .022 minn about 18" from the muzzle...too thin at the price I would have paid if I kept it...I also like my fingers just as they are! Gun was very light O frame. thanks all SXS ohio

Greg Baehman
02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
$3500.00 for a VH, 16 gauge?
Where have I been the last year?
I thought values came down a little, not increased 50%.
But hey, people in Michigan are always the last to know.

I agree with your questioning of the going rate of VH 16's in today's market---I would have ballparked ~$2200.00, but I'd argue that we here in the Nort' woods of Wisconsin get our info just a little while after you Michiganders get it.

Kevin McCormack
02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Whoa! $3500 for a non-ejector 16 VH? You have GOT to be kidding me! I've put two or more PGCA members onto 16 ga. 0-frame GHs for a lot less than that within the last 2 years. Like the diet video lady said a few years back in her commercials; "Stop the Insanity"!!!

Mike Stahle
02-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Whoa! $3500 for a non-ejector 16 VH? You have GOT to be kidding me! I've put two or more PGCA members onto 16 ga. 0-frame GHs for a lot less than that within the last 2 years. Like the diet video lady said a few years back in her commercials; "Stop the Insanity"!!!

No he's not, and as a recent owner of one just like it, it's worth every penny.
3 to 5 years from now that same gun will sell for a good bit more than that $3,500 put in a simple interest bank account will yield. :cool:

Steve Huffman
02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I hope we can still own them in 3 to 5 years !

Kevin McCormack
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Stephen -
IMHO; better listen to Bill, Dave, Kenny and 'Wild Skies'. And notice in my post I said GH, not VH grade guns I put people onto for less. For the kind of dough you're talking about, everything's got to be right about that gun! Shop around - they are out there!!

Mike Poindexter
02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Concur with Kevin. I picked up a 16ga 0 frame PH with 30 inch twist barrels for 2K within the last year, and a GH 16 0 frame with 28 inch Dam2 barrels for $2150 about 4 years ago. Both are in the same or better shape than the gun pictured. Also, something about the barrel to breechball fit does not look right on this gun. I would get it checked out by a competent Parker smith before buying, and not at that price anyway. They are out there, you just have to bide your time for the right one. Good luck.

Mike Stahle
02-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I’m not sure about the one pictured...

But I do know about the one I recently purchased, "yes" for a little over 3K.

Given a redo, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. Absolutely no regrets for what I paid.

Did I pay a little to much? Yep probably did. :eek:

Could I have negotiated the price down some? Maybe, maybe not, could have lost her too.

That little 16 is fast becoming my all time favorite and someone would have to lay down twice or more what I paid for her, (as well as some begging :)) before I would even think about giving her up. :cool:

Rich Anderson
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm with Kevin also. Within the last 6-8 months I have purchased a PH 16 0 frame Twist for under 2K and it's in excellent original condition, no buggered screws and a GH 16 0 frame for just over 2K. This gun needed a little TLC but afterwards there is still less than 3K into it.

Be patient and you will find the gun your looking for. Remember this, It's easier to buy a gun than to sell one. If you buy just to buy and end up with something thats not right it will be harder to recoup your investment.