PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO ESTIMATE VALUE

John Rutledge
02-25-2011, 07:12 AM
I am a new Parker owner and would like to find out the market value of a gun I purchased at auction. Are there web sites for help on this? Should I ask a local gunsmith for an estimate? JR

Bill Bates
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
It sounds if you may have got the cart before the horse. You should have determined the value before you made the purchase.

Another way to look at is it doesn't matter you already bought the gun. It would seem what you paid for it was what it was worth to you and to the seller, because the price was agreed to by both parties. That was the value at that moment.

There are a handful of books, like the Blue Book of Gun Values, that can give you a hint about the worth on the open market but you will really need to know what you are looking at to make sense of what the books are telling you.

With some good quality photos posted here in the forum you can get some good input on value. Of course, even with photos, without the gun in hand it is still just a best guess when it comes to value.

I guess what it comes down to; you bought the Parker, it’s yours now, the money is gone. Love the gun and don't worry about the price. When I have over paid for a firearm I just like to think of it as I bought it to early. Often time will cure the value question.

I would let a qualified gunsmith give it a good looking over to determine it is safe to shoot.

I hope that helps.

Dean Romig
02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi John and Welcome.

I think the general concensus in determining value is to look at auction internet sites as well as results from major auction houses such as RIA and Julia's and see what similar Parkers sold at.
However, if you recently bought it at auction you can pretty well rest assured that, you being the high bidder... it's worth about what you paid for it.

Gary Cripps
02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
There are a number of auction sites on line but Guns International probably has the most Parkers. Gunsamerica also has a lot. Looking these over keeping in mind all the varibles will give you a range.

Bruce Day
02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
The Parker section of the Blue Book of Gun Values is compiled by a highly qualified and well regarded long time anonymous Parker collector who follows sold prices.

Because Parker sold prices are highly based on condition, a person needs to be able to accurately gauge condition. It is common to overstate condition and important to be able to recognize the indicators of refinishing and alteration.

Bill Murphy
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Looking on GA and GI is useless unless you can find the one in a hundred items that actually sell. The sold prices on an auction site are the only true indications of value. Show us your gun and we will give it a shot.

George Lander
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
John: In addition to the great responses above you might also wish to check Greg Martin Auctions in California, "Prices Realised", to get a feel of what Parkers bring on the West Coast. Parker values, condition being equal, go up in value exponentially as the gauge gets smaller and the grade gets higher. Bore and barrel condition are extremely important. Also is provenance. I would order a research letter, $40, on your Parker, if available.

Best Regards, George

Austin W Hogan
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I agree with Chilled Shot that you established the current price of that gun with your winning bid. Auction prices are the most reliable indicators of value, as we can be present at the sale and know the actual hammer price.
The real insight to value is to be present at an auction. The path to the hammer may really be more important than the winning bid in estimating re sale value.
1) The auctioneer usually asks for his low appraisal as an opening bid. If few guns open at this level, it is apparent most potential buyers view the apprasals as too high.
2) The opening bid is the instant resale value; if the rent is due, this is the price that gun will bring right now.
3) Watch the bidding process; when the number of phone operators involved or active bidders in the gallery falls to three, the consensus value lies between the opener and this bid.
4) The number of bids, or the increase in price, due to the last three bidders determines the amount of serious interest in this gun.

Occassionally a hesitant bidder who drops out along the way, but sees the continued bidding on a gun, will have sufficient interest in the gun to pay more than the winning bid following the sale.

Best, Austin

John Rutledge
02-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Dear, Parker Readers, Many thanks for all you input. Of course the price I paid represents the value .......on that day, at that location, with those bidders....and probably a few other variables.

I am not whining about what I paid. I was thrilled to get the gun....and I believe I got it below its true value......that is, in cirlces of informed and discerning people such as the Parker Membership Forum.

Jared Valeski
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
If you care to post some detailed pictures, I am sure you will get various ranges of values. I for one, have already overpaid for items I wanted at live auctions and have been lucky enough to get a few deals as well. I don't think it is fair to say that what you paid is the value, as cost many times does not determine value.
JJV

Steve Huffman
02-25-2011, 08:25 PM
John, If you are in the market of buying Parkers and dont know where to go to get a value on such guns I would slow down a little. I know you havent asked anyone here to give you a price because there is not pictures,description nothing to show what you bought may even be one of them want to be Parkers. Good luck. Oh!!!!! This is the only place I would ask the market value of a Parker. I have learned more here than anywhere about them.

Dean Romig
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Post pictures John - I'm sure you will get a wide range of opinions of your Parker's value and I guarantee the price you paid falls somewhere in between the high and low estimates.