PDA

View Full Version : A&F Canvas Take-Down Case

Bruce Day
02-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Newly acquired.

Have not seen one of these before. I assume it is from the 1970's before A&F became just a trendy clothing store.

Dave Suponski
02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice, I have started to buy some of these vs the leg-o-mutton cases.

Dean Romig
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
The Trojan I hunted with back in the early sixties came in a case very much like that one but I don't believe it was an A&F. I believe it was the original case because the hang tag was tied to the handle... or possibly supplied by the hardware store that sold the gun.

David Long
02-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Is it for sale ?

Norm Growden
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
One similar (though not nearly so nice shape) on ebay.

Jared Valeski
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Very Nice case. The A&F logo is very similar to the one applied to thier Luger pistol holsters that they sold circa 1920's-1930's.

Dean Romig
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Another Trojan from gunbroker. This is like the one that I remember from the early sixties.

Austin W Hogan
02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Pardon the hand held photos, but my A & F catalog is a little on the delicate side to scan.
There are six cases, covering most tastes and price ranges plus two leather saddle gun scabards offered in this 1909 catalog. It is about an inch thick and 275 pages.
The leather A&F cases are quite prized and contain many high grade Parkers. The canvas cases pictured are shown in the 1909 catalog and were pretty standard offerings. A&F began furthur downtown in Manhattan and was a distributor much like Stoeger, who began in the 20th century vs A&F 1892. A&F went upscale and merged with Griffin and Howe and had a six story store near Grand Central through the 1960's. The Czar Parker was displayed at A&F and sold by them, after delivery to Russia failed, according to Bill Murphy.
Additional to sporting goods, A&F outfitted geologists exploring remote areas, and Roy Chapman Andrews safaris to Africa, collecting specimens for the American Museum of Natural History.

Best, Austin

william faulk
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Quality Arms in Houston , Texas has copies of these old cases.
I believe they are imported..but very high quality.
Bill

Bruce Day
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I have an opportunity on a double ended A&F case wherein the cap on one end allows access to the barrels and butt and the other end opens with compartments for a cleaning rod, oil bottle and snap caps. It will fit a 26 or 28" gun, and in VG condition. From the telephone description, its the No. 4 case in Austin's catalog.

I'm a case guy, love well made cases, and this is a new one on me. I have a Red Head Elliot case, somewhat similar and an A&F LOM case not shown in the catalog and is a standard LOM.

Comments? Rarity ?

Austin, I still have a leather bound edition of the account of Roy Chapman Andrews paleontological expedition to Mongolia. Fascinating. My mother was scheduled to depart for China to teach English when the Japanese invaded. She ended up at the War Dept in Washington working for the Secretary of the Navy, probably a safer job.

Dean Romig
02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Sounds nice Bruce. I've never seen one.

Bruce Day
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Dean, you've seen the oak and leather small bore case I have that is the No. 6 case on the catalog sheet. As Austin said, it was made for a Parker with inletting for the doll's head.

Interesting story on that case. The case and its DHE 20 /26 was offered to me, the gun was worn and maybe 20% cc's left, ssb, titanic barrels, a nice but modest condition gun. I made a generous offer on the case and gun as a pair, still had the hang tags, bill of sale, etc. The owner talked to somebody who told him that the gun would bring much more if completely "restored" and he sent it on up north where it came back with sanded and sprayed finish stock, reblued barrels ( nice job on those) and tiger striped gaudy cyanide colored frame. Offered it back to me at substantially more. I said not interested in the gun, but I want the case. So the gun ends up on consignment in a gun shop, make another offer on the case and the case is split off and sold to me. The gun hangs around and finally gets sold for basically what I offered before costly restoration and the owner is frustrated because no one wants to pay what he thinks the gun is now worth. I have no idea what happended to the gun papers, don't know if they were sold with the gun or not. So I get the case, and I already had a little CHE 20/26 that fits right in like it was the perfect pair.

Dean Romig
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Yes, I've admired that case Bruce.

I have two of the #5 LOMs in Austin's photo but without the side pouch.