PDA

View Full Version : Crow Hunting w/steel or lead

Buddy Marson
02-20-2011, 08:31 AM
I am reading a new law was passed banning lead shot for use on "Depredation Hunting of Birds" ie. crows. Someone suggested that this law only applies if you get a "Depredation Permit" to shoot birds that create crop damage. My question is, can you shoot crows within the crow hunting season with lead? Does this law cover all birds that inflict crop damage even without the "Depredation Hunting Permit"?
Thanks,
Buddy

Pete Lester
02-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I am reading a new law was passed banning lead shot for use on "Depredation Hunting of Birds" ie. crows. Someone suggested that this law only applies if you get a "Depredation Permit" to shoot birds that create crop damage. My question is, can you shoot crows within the crow hunting season with lead? Does this law cover all birds that inflict crop damage even without the "Depredation Hunting Permit"?
Thanks,
Buddy

You would have to review your state's wildlife laws as they are all different. So far as I know lead remains legal for crow hunting during set seasons for game in all states. However there are states that have no-tox requirements for all bird hunting on WMA's/public land that could apply.

My understanding of depredation hunting also procludes the use of electronic callers and decoys, the idea being you are not hunting and trying to lure them in but rather to shoot nuisance crop destroying birds. Does that make sense to me, in theory yes but in practice no.

Dean Romig
02-20-2011, 05:29 PM
My understanding of depredation hunting also procludes the use of electronic callers and decoys, the idea being you are not hunting and trying to lure them in but rather to shoot nuisance crop destroying birds. Does that make sense to me, in theory yes but in practice no.

Well, I've never heard of anyone stalking crows but it would appear that is how some antis define "hunting".

Destry L. Hoffard
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
As long as you're "hunting" crows during the regular established season then lead would be perfectly legal.

Destry