PDA

View Full Version : just arounnd the corner

charlie cleveland
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
was out looking for some turkey sign today didnot see any sign but i know the turkeys are there...i was looking at some of the tree branches they are beginning to bud some...i was thinking theres a little snow on the ground and yet spring is just around the corner..we will be fighting ticks and mosiquitos in 6 weeks boy youve got to love parkers and turkey hunting it goes hand in hand.... charlie

Richard Flanders
02-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Enjoy it charlie. It's -41 in town here. -25 at my house....

Trigg Davis
02-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Rich,

Quite a bit better here in the Southland of Anchorage Alaska. About 11 degrees and may get a bit warmer. It did dip to about 3 below soemtime yesterday. Thise kinds of temperatures could limit ones time in the out house.

Located 5 Ruffed Grouse last weekend. Off to shoot a little today at Grouse Ridge.

Trigg

charlie cleveland
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
you boys can keep the cold weve still got a few patches of snoy but i can go out side right now and be in a short sleve sahirt and be comfortable...bout 58 degrees at the moment..i would send yall some of this but you mite want to keep it....good luck on the bird hunts... charlie

David Hamilton
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
At the back of the hall at Dulles one could hardly move but the crowd was polite and well behaved. My only complaint is that I wore the wrong shoes for standing on concrete for five hours. David

charlie cleveland
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
david ive done the shoe thing too...gonna wear my red wing work boots next show i go to...i do love those gun and knife shows..usally no bargains but im alwaws hopeful.... i got a shoy coming up in tupelo miss this march the 2nd weekend...thats the start of turkey season too something gotta give...probably hunt saturday and go to show on sunday....charlie

Mike Shepherd
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM
It is supposed to get up to 71 here today and 76 tomorrow - which is too warm for my dogs to hunt. Nothing is ever just right it seems.

Best,

Mike

charlie cleveland
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
was 70 here today was to warm to go squirl hunting so just worked on old cars.. charlie

Richard Flanders
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
They're predicting it to be above 0 here by the weekend. I just tried to leave to pick a friend up at the car dealer. I found my car battery is frozen solid and ruined and my spare battery has the posts on the wrong side.... My pickup has been plugged in for an hour and just grunted a bit with no chance of starting. My '69 bronco would start with 30min of plug in but it has no plates or insurance and the plow is on it...It's too far to go on the snowmachine and it likely wouldn't start either... So, I went over and plugged my neighbors pickup in so I can hijack it for the afternoon. This is Fairbanks... neighbors expect you to steal their car if you need it, as long as you're ok with them doing it to you, which we all are.

Bill Murphy
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Richard, you guys need license plates to drive up there?

Richard Flanders
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I''ll gracefully take the 5th on that one, thank you very much...:whistle:

E Robert Fabian
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Is it OK for neighbors to borrow planes also? :rolleyes:

Dean Romig
02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
This is Fairbanks... neighbors expect you to steal their car if you need it, as long as you're ok with them doing it to you, which we all are.

In that case it's called "Borrowing".

I would never begrudge a neighbor in need as long as it was returned in a timely manner in the same condition (level of fuel) as when it was borrowed.

Joe Mahoney of 'somewhere' in Pennsylvania was a teacher of some sort and every summer he would haul a few students (with certain 'special needs') to Flagstaff Lake in Eustis, Maine for a few weeks of camping. Joe had an aluminum 16' boat with a 20 hp Evinrude engine on it and would take the kids out of sight down the lake to his campsite on a remote island for some time in the natural world. Three times per week they would motor back up to the sandy beach on the peninsular where we would go for picnics and fishing and they all would go to town to do the wash and take in a movie and Joe would leave a sign on the boat that said "You're welcome to use my boat. Please fill the tank." We used it and always filled the tank. Joe eventually moved to Eustis, Me. and built a very nice log home at the edge of a moose bog. Kathy and I looked him up about twenty-five years after the last time my family last saw him. Joe remembered my mother especially because she made such an impression on him with how she handled her four sons and asked me to remember him to her. I did. Joe Mahoney was one of the last generous and trusting people I've had the pleasure of knowing.
Five years ago 10 miles North of Greenville, Me. on my way to Kokadjo my truck blew it's transmission at about 11 PM. Long story short, Pete Grass who lived just up the road in Lilly Bay on Moosehead Lake loaned me his 4X4 GMC for my 5-day salmon fishing trip on the West Branch of the Penobscot River. He had no idea who I was and I didn't know him from Adam but he saw in me "Just a neighbor in need" and took a chance.