PDA

View Full Version : Stock cast

Phil Yearout
02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
My little 16ga Trojan stock has some cast-off; I don't have any accurate way of measuring, but I'd say as much as 1/4" or so. My Fox Sterlingworth 16, by comparison, appears to be about dead neutral, which is what I would have expected with "economy" grade guns. Is this typical of Parkers, or do you think the stock has been bent at some point, or possibly was special-ordered with cast? Curious; thanks.

E Robert Fabian
02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
My guess is wood pulled over on it's own or some one had it bent.
Bob

Mike Poindexter
02-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I have encountered cast on 3 guns, a GH and two PH's. The two PH's are a decade apart, 1896 and 1906, both 30 inch 12 ga guns, and both have a twist in the buttstock so that there is about 1/4 inch cast off at toe, and about 1/8 inch cast on along the comb at heel. Both are comfortable to me as a thin-faced right hand shooter. TPS doesn't really deal with cast, but I remember an earlier thread and a PP article on a survey of drops, and there is a recent survey of pitch measurments in PP also. Perhaps we could do a similar survey of casts if enough people have encountered it. Just a thought.