PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned up the checkering:

Bruce P Bruner
02-18-2022, 10:52 AM
I was pleasantly surprised how much checkering remained when I cleaned the panels. I used an old can of “Forby’s Furniture Refinisher”, it's just a thin stripper. Careful application with a toothbrush and removing the buildup of shellac or something from long ago with a terry cloth rag worked well. It take’s awhile but the results are rewarding. Aesthetics aside, the grip is much more functional too.

Bruce P Bruner
02-18-2022, 04:10 PM
The skeleton butt cleaned up nicely as well. The 2nd photo shows the colorful grain in the butt as the stock was soaking up a wood grain popping solution.

Mike Koneski
02-19-2022, 01:18 PM
Sometimes these old guns just get dirty over time and the checkering fills up with "stuff". Nothing a judicious cleaning can't fix. Well done Bruce!

Randy G Roberts
02-19-2022, 07:56 PM
Bruce when I get tired of looking at the wood figure I will look at the checkering, probably going to be a little bit. Nice 👍👍👍

Keith Doty
02-19-2022, 09:49 PM
Wicked nice wood!

davidboyles
02-22-2022, 11:33 PM
Once again Bruce nice job you have some real dandy guns!!

charlie cleveland
02-23-2022, 02:52 PM
I got some real dirty stocks that need cleaning do you want the job...I see your talent before me...you really made that stock look really good....charlie

Bruce P Bruner
02-24-2022, 11:35 AM
The cleanup/stock resurrection has been completed. I respected the stock, imperfections and all, no sandpaper touched the wood. Finger painting iterations of Tung Oil/BLO, soak and wipe has provided a rich warm glow with some gloss though not excessive.
I constructed a pine box to ship the barrels out to Breck and placed the box within a cardboard one. The total weight is 16 pounds with the barrels. Shipping will be high but the best insurance is a stout box. When the barrels are completed it will be a very happy day.
Charlie, thank you for the nice compliment.

keavin nelson
02-25-2022, 12:28 PM
Nicely done Bruce, allas Formbys seems to be no-more! I used it similiarly for years.

J. Scott Hanes
02-25-2022, 02:41 PM
On the grip, how did you prevent the Formby's from softening the stock finish outside of the checkering?

Keith Doty
02-25-2022, 03:18 PM
Actually I peeked and Formby's appears for sale on Amazon. Quite pricey but available, $60 or so for a quart.

Bruce P Bruner
02-25-2022, 03:27 PM
On the grip, how did you prevent the Formby's from softening the stock finish outside of the checkering?
The previous owner many years ago may have used a 4" paintbrush to lacquer the wood with no regard to boarders. Most all of the upper, lower tang, triggers and skeleton butt-plate were ham handed with an uneven amber coating. In this case all of the added finish required removal so the boarders were of no concern. The checkering required many successive applications and wiping, while the stock really didn't have much original finish left and cleaned up pretty fast. If the checking boarders are important a jell stripper applied with an artists brush would work with prudence.

Bruce P Bruner
02-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Actually I peeked and Formby's appears for sale on Amazon. Quite pricey but available, $60 or so for a quart.
Our landfill has a recycling center and I occasionally visit to find ancient items of interest. Some items I have sourced are Watco Danish Oil, Linseed Oil, Tung Oil etc. The items are free of charge, only requiring a signature for removal. The supplies used for this Parker were all sourced from there through the years.