PDA

View Full Version : LC Smith vs. Parker Challenge

Mike Kobos
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
The upcoming Southern Side by Side promises a lot of competition with our friends in the LC Smith world. Will there be some formal organizing prior to the event by the PGCA??

The following was just posted on the LC Smith site:

L.C. Smith vs. Parker Challenge

Posted by Tom Archer on February 11, 2011, 8:56 am
Board Administrator

ANNOUNCING
the
Eighth Annual L.C. Smith vs Parker Challenge

Well Gentleman, once again it time to uncase those LC’s; scrub the dust out of those bores, and “light a rag” down to your local clays range! Why you ask, well it’s simple; we’ve got a reputation to protect and we’ll be laying that reputation on line real soon. You see, it’s almost that time in the New Year when representatives from the L.C. Smith Collectors Association gather once again in Sanford, NC for the express purpose of laying yet one more old fashioned “beat down” on those ole boys with the “Finest Hardware Store Gun in the World”; the Parker Gun Collectors Association.

Thus this notice shall serve as your friendly reminder; make your reservations and plans now to attend this greatest event of its type ever devised by mankind! If you have procrastinated in the past; and have never attended this most excellent event, then remember this;“Life is Short”! Do not let another opportunity pass you by! This year’s event will again be held in conjunction with the Southern Side x Side Championships at the Deep River Shooting School in Sanford, NC; and the magic date is the weekend of April 29-May 1, 2011. This great event has continued to grow every year; and although it’s now difficult to believe, this will be the EIGHT annual L.C. Smith vs. Parker Challenge!

So seriously, if you’ve planned to attend in the past; then , for whatever reason didn’t make the Evert, make this your year to experience the event that is now the most anticipated and talked about vintage sporting event in the entire country. This event is not only a very rewarding shooting experience; but has also developed a “family reunion” type atmosphere. For this annual pilgrimage has become THE event where good friends from all over the country assemble to renew friendships and fellowship with one other, the place where new friendships are established; and the place to “put a face” on all those guys and gals you hear about, and read about but have never had the opportunity to meet personally. It is also the venue for our L.C. Smith Collectors Association annual meeting, an event that is always well attended; but which also serves as the perfect venue to meet LCSCA Directors, learn how LCSCA affairs are conducted, and an opportunity to fellowship with other LCSCA members.

For this year’s Challenge Event we are hoping, for the first time, to have our own tent (I use the word “hoping”, as details are not quite finalized as I write); but when those plans come to fruition we will finally have enough room to adequately accommodate our displays, our members and guests, and we also plan to sharing that tent with the PGCA! This move will serve only to increase everyone’s enjoyment; and the fellowship we enjoy with the great Parker folks. And although it’s OK to fellowship with those PGCA guys and gals inside the tent, we do not wish to take that hospitality to the extreme by allowing them to actually win either of our events; so practice, practice, practice! I cannot stress practice enough, for after a rough four-year long stretch, the LCSCA is on a roll and has really kicked some Parker tail! We cannot back-off the throttle now; so let’s keep our victory train in high gear!

I’ll be posting Event details and rules on the LCSCA website very soon; but in the interim I request that those planning to attend this year’s Challenge Event either email or call so that name tags can be prepared in advance. My email address is thomas.archer@charter.net; and my telephone is 706/769-4932. And whatever you do, don’t forget that the Challenge Event is also a great family event; so bring your bride, your kids, your grandkids, your shooting buds, and even your boy and girl friends! But until we meet; practice, practice, practice! See you there!

william faulk
02-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Fellow Parkerers..(that a word?)
You have an ACE in the hole this year...ME !
Yup..I'm a cummin up to shoot against them Smithers..
I'm shooting my old guns once a week now..gettin ready for action.
Lay yore money down..this is the year...Bill

Eric Eis
02-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Well it looks like a couple of us Michigan boys are going to come down this year, it's been two or three years (too long) so Rich Anderson and I are coming down, trying to convince a few others too. Eric

John Truitt
02-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Hopefully this post will get some talk going. We need as many as possible to continue to support the Challenge events.
Hopefully all of us Parker guys will be on our game this year and deliever a whopping to those smith boys.
Hoping to see you all there.

John

william faulk
02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Are there Vendors at the Southern shoot? If so, can you list a few..love looking at these old guns..even buy one every now and then...Bill

scott kittredge
02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
boy i would love to make that trip, pete ,bob let see what we can do?? :rolleyes: scott

John Truitt
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
there are alot of venders. midsouth, barnetts, john algood, puglisi eas there last year, steve cobb, ivory beads, most of the big ones. there are alot. you will stay busy in the venders tents.

Dave Suponski
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Danny and I are booked at the Hampton.

John Truitt
02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Just found this on-line. Pretty cool.

www.southernsidebyside.com

for challenge cup
www.southernsidebyside.com/index.php?id=10

william faulk
02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
WOW..Vendors aplenty..guess I have to bring more than $200 with me ..Really looking forward to this shoot and meeting many of you.I am like a kid in a candy store with this many well known vendors.I attended the two Vintagers shoots held in Texas..cost me a tidy sum..never met a old double gun I did not like.
Are "spreader type loads allowed?.My guns are choked tight and more tight.
Bill

Mark Conrad
02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Well Tom beat me to the pouch. I was at the Chantilly Show yesterday and got home late.

The Challenge Rules are the same this year and we will have the Hammer Gun Challenge Sunday morning. The big news this year is the tent Tom mentioned in his post. The tent will be down at the dove field and we will share it with the LCSCA. We have not decided on a size yet but it will be much larger than the space we have had in the past. I will post more details as we work this out.

The overall score is Parker 4 and LC Smith 3. The pressure is on the Old Reliable collectors to shoot well. We were close last year in both events. As Tom says, we need to practice. So break out your favorite 12 bore Parker and lets have fun. Don't forget to bring a hammer gun. I will have more coming.

Mark

Bill Murphy
02-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Mr. Faulk, spreader loads are certainly allowed, However, no one that I am aware of has ever thought that spreaders are needed on the Challenge Field. If anything, more choke and more shot are the order of the day. I have always used full and full and enjoyed it.

David Hamilton
02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think there is any restriction as to spreader loads. Just the usual shot size restriction. David

Mike Kobos
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Can we hear about what type of shooting will take place - trap - Skeet - 5 stand - sporting clays??
Are the teams and registration taking place prior to the meet or on site?
I ask because it determines which Parker I bring since these old beauties do not have choke inserts. Thanks

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Eric, Dayrl Middlebrook and myself will be there this year first time for me looking forward to it. staying at the hampton, will bring watermelon wine!

John Truitt
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Mr. Kobos,

Bring what ever gun you shoot the best.

In the past there has been a sporting course and two five stands (mix of close and some medium distance targets).

There is no restriction on spreader loads that I am aware of.

You register for the sporting clays events either a head of time (use Deep Rivers website) or you can do it there at the club house.

You sign up for the Challenge Events (hammerless and hammer event, remember there are two) at the Parker tent. You pick a time to qualify.
You sign up for practice at the five stand field as you want to shoot.
I suggest you read the rules for the Challenge event ahead of time.

Good luck. I hope to see you there.

Go team Parker :)

william faulk
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I am really getting excited now..am shooting my Parkers every Thursday out at the N.S.C.A. home range here in San Antonio.These are some tough sporting targets.
Just bought a 12ga hammergun,#1 frame,great DM barrels from a fellow member.
Love this gun,could become my favorite.I will be ready...
Bill