PDA

View Full Version : Remington paper shells

Herb Hewlett
02-08-2022, 03:07 PM
I just bought 2 cases of Remington paper shells, 71/2 and 8.They are listed as target loads,I'm wondering if they would suffice for Grouse? Asking for opinions
as to whether they are viable for live game ? Is there any difference between
target and game loads?

CraigThompson
02-08-2022, 03:24 PM
FWIW I load the same shells for feathered targets as I do for clay targets . Well provided they're not web footed .

I will say I prefer 6's for pheasants . But have killed a number of pheasants with 7 1/2's .

Steve Huffman
02-08-2022, 04:02 PM
If you miss you can blame the shells !

Buddy Harrison
02-09-2022, 08:54 AM
Herb,
I notice that the Remington/Peters shells you are talking about are loaded with quality components in velocities 1145, 1200, and 1290 FPS. I could only find where they are loaded with size 7.5 and 8 shot. That may be incorrect but I could not find other sizes of shot. There is no reason that these shells should not be perfectly satisfactory for ruffed grouse or any other upland game birds except maybe some of the plains birds that may require larger shot. For ruffed grouse you don't need to consider the 1290 FPS loads, either of the other two will do the job quite nicely, maybe the 1145 early season and 1200 later on. I suspect the 1290 FPS would punish you and your double gun more than you would like. Just my personal opinion based on 65 years ini the field, others may have a different view.