PDA

View Full Version : New Parker owner

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Good Morning Everyone,

Well, I purchased my first Parker. A 1930 DH in 12 gauge, 32in brl, double triggers and what looks like ivory sighting beads. Serial # 234751 and it came with a leg of Mutton case pat'd date of Dec. 12, 07. I thought it was on a #1 frame but it's actually on a #2 frame (measures 1 and 1/8 in. between firing pins). The heavily stamped 1 was part of the #12 (for gauge?) with the 2 behind it lightly stuck and covered with dryed grease. Older eyes and dim light just don't mix. Today I have purchased a PGCA membership and will send for a reserch letter. What I do know, based on Family memory, is the original owner was Charles Hayden who passed this beautiful Parker down to his nephew Reginald Hayden Hill. It then went to Reginalds son Ken Hill and to his son (and my good friend) Scott Hill. Neither Ken nor Scott were hunters and the Parker spent many years in a closet. It was shot on occassion. The top lever was stuck in place but a little spray with breakfree loosened it up so the barrels could be attached. The splinter foreend will not quite fit into place. I think a little more cleaning with fix this. Is there a Gunsmith or Smiths in Wisconsin that you would recommend if the action would require cleaning or repair? Any info based on the serial# that you could provide while I await my letter would be appreciated. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how with my camera. Have a great weekend Ladies and Gentlemen.
-Mark

Dave Suponski
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Mark, Congratulations on your new(Old) Parker! And welcome to the PGCA! There are some very knowledgeable members in the Wisconsin and Michigan areas who I am sure can help you out with a good smith.. Enjoy!

Asa Kelley
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Mark,

According to the serialization book your gun has ejectors. If the gun was dry fired before the forearm was removed the ejectors in the forearm need to be re-cocked which can be done by using a wood dowel. Do not try to force the forearm on . I know we have had members post pictures about this but I can't remember where. Hope this helps. #234751 is listed as T13 H 2 B 12 32. This is a hammerless 12 gauge DHE with 32" Titanic Steel barrels with ball grip and ejectors.

Asa Kelley

scott kittredge
02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
wow, sounds like a nice gun need to post pics please :corn:

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you very much for the information Kelley. We did not realize it had ejectors. The ball grip buttstock must have been replaced at some point prior to the mid 1950's. It now has a pistol grip with the Parker Bros. cap and a Hawkins pad. Wood to metal fit is flawless. It is a very nice Circssian walnut and we thought it had just been refinished at some point in the past because the splinter forend is quite a bit darker (patina) and therefore difficult to see any of the grain in the foreend. Overall it's a very beautiful Parker.

-Mark

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
What does the code T13 H mean? I think I figured out the rest, 2= frame sz, B for ball grip, 12 for gauge and 32 for barrel length. Thanks again.

-Mark

Bill Murphy
02-05-2011, 02:01 PM
2 is not the frame size. 2 in the Serialization Book is a code number for ejectors. TI means Titanic Steel barrels. 3 means Grade 3, which is the D Grade. H is hammerless. When you post pictures, send a picture of the inside of the forend and we will explain how to get the forend on the gun.

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I will do this and appreciate your help. Thank you.

-Mark

Greg Baehman
02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Mosinee, Wisconsin based doublegun gunsmith Mark Beasland is familiar and experienced with Parkers. Contact info can be obtained through his website:

www.mbabllc.com

I know he is working a gun show in the Milwaukee area this weekend.

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I have scanned about a dozen pictures of my Parker DHE into my computer. I will try to attach them to this message. I havn't done this before so we will see what happens. Not having any luck. Any suggestions as to how do I load pictures from my computer to this sight? Thank you.

-Mark

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Thank you Wild Skies for that bit of information. I will contact him.

-Mark

John Dallas
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
From the FAQ section - here is the procedure for posting pix. Good luck

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

Mark Straube
02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank You John. I will give this a try and see what happens.

-Mark