PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm a new "Old Parker" owner

Ron Jahn
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi fellow parker enthusiasts. Let me start by saying this site is outstanding and has been so helpful with info on my latest acquisition. Recently I purchased an amazing old cowboy set. It belonged to a working cowboy (Albert E. Sigal) who used all this gear up until the 1930’s when he hung up his spurs and packed it all away in a trunk. The collection hasn’t seen the light of day until now. Primarily I’m a Colt SAA collector which I admit is the piece that caught my eye in the set but also included was his Parker shotgun. I’m not too knowledgeable about these other than the name but so far this has turned out to be an interesting piece with more history than I first thought. I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole. I’ll attach some photos so you can look it over.

Here’s what I’ve found out so far:
Parker Double Barrel shotgun
SN = 8194 (1876)
Frame Size = 2
Gauge = 10
Grade = O (S)
I assume barrels & fore grip were replaced at some time as they have different SN’s
Barrel weight = 54
Barrels = 20” Plain Twist
Barrel & Fore grip SN = 6639 (1875)
Barrels have “extractors”
I believe the barrels were not shorted but I’m not 100% sure. Maybe the photos will tell. Overall, the shotgun appears to be in pretty good shape for its age considering it belonged to a working cowboy. The stocks show the wear of use but still hold a nice finish. Unfortunately, there are two hairline cracks on the underside of the grip; one on either side of the trigger guard. I’m not sure if I should have it repaired or leave it original?
The action seems to operate fine and is tight, with frame case color at approx. 75%. The barrels have a nice patina and some slight rust and pitting on the outside. I’ve oiled them lightly. The bores are very dirty and I can’t tell their condition unless I clean them but I’m not sure if I should do that either.
I’ve enjoyed learning about this shotgun and I’ve ordered a research letter already but if anyone feels like educating me further I could use the schooling. I wish this set could talk!
Thanks!
RJ

Ron Jahn
01-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should have the stock repaired or leave it original? I assume this is a wall hanger at this point, but I just don't like seeing it broken. Also, any recomendations as to who to send it to if repair is called for? I'm in Reno,NV.
Thanks, Ron

Robin Lewis
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
There are folks that can repair the stock but I don't know at what cost. If you want to have it fixed and its done correctly "I" think it would be a positive thing to do to the gun. If fixed properly, the repair should be almost invisible and the stock will be stronger than when it was new.

I also would give it a good cleaning. Run a brush and rag through the barrels and see if the barrels are pitted and if so, how bad. Cleaning it and applying a thin coat of oil just as you would a Colt would be advisable.

Harry Collins
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Ron,

I think 8194 is the order number that was found on the barrel flats. The serial number will be on the left side of the barrel lug and should match the forend and trigger guard bow numbers. Gteat looking old Parker and a nice find. I have two lifter Parkers from 1881 with Twist steel barrels that I shoot often. I do think your barrels have been cut as it appears to be no solder between the ribs at the muzzel. I would not replace the stock. There are many good people that can repair it and you would not be able to find the repair.
Go ahead and clean the barrels. I fond one full of old black powder soot once and when it was cleaned I was supprised to find it shiney. The surface rust on the outside can be removed with Hoppe's 9 and OOOO steel wool. Just work lightly and in small circles and the rust will just wipe off.

Kindest, Harry

Ron Jahn
01-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info and advice. I probably would like to see it repaired, if I can find someone who really knows what they are doing. I may try cleaning the bores but I'm leery of removing the patina if I work on the exterior rust.
I'll add some more photos highlighting the barrels and SN#'s. I hope I'm doing this thread thing correctly, this is new to me.
rj

Harry Collins
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
You were correct. There is no order number and the barrels are for a different Parker. Patina on a Colt is different than rust on a Parker. Still a great find...

Harry