PDA

View Full Version : restored GHE on GI

jefferyconnor
08-13-2021, 06:14 PM
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-ghe-12-ga-32-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101705884

What do the members make of the case colors on this gun? Does anyone have an opinion which shop did the color?

What do you make of the stock? Is this a restock? The nose seems a bit higher than other Parkers.

What are your overall impressions as to the quality of this gun's restoration?

Steve Huffman
08-13-2021, 06:38 PM
Maybe ask the seller ,

Mills Morrison
08-13-2021, 06:58 PM
I looked at it but decided to pass. Looks like a decent job and the 32” barrels are a plus.

Bill Davis
08-13-2021, 07:14 PM
Looks pretty nice and will not last at that price. He who hesitates…………!

Bruce Hering
08-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Sorry guys.... That gun landed at my FFL this morning. It is as good as it looks. I bought it as a shooter and it fits that quality more then good

I lost most of what I wrote but suffice it to say the gun is in great restored condition. The only two things I found were a burr on the engraving on the long trigger guard tang and the forearm latch needs a bit of coaxing to get it fully closed down. I suspect some judicious file work can fix that. As to the case colors I believe it to be bone charcoal as I do not see any of that bright yellow that ya get from cyanide. All in all its looks great as a shooter and thats what I bought it for.

I will take it to the trap club on Tuesday

jefferyconnor
08-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Sorry guys.... That gun landed at my FFL this morning. It is as good as it looks. I bought it as a shooter and it fits that quality more then good.

That's great! Maybe consider posting about it?

Bruce Hering
08-13-2021, 07:27 PM

I will as soon as I get hands on it and shoot it a bit. Its in "jail" right now (Illinois three day wait). I could get it Monday but will pick it up Tuesday on my way to the trap club. Now I need to go out to my ammo pile and find some ammo for it.

Dean Romig
08-13-2021, 07:40 PM
It's a beautiful Parker.

I'll venture an educated guess that Turnbull did the case colors and the darkly stained checkering and the perfect quality of the checkering looks like Brian Dudley's fine work.
The "nose of the comb" does seem high but I have seen other lower grade Parkers with a very similar nose. The wood could very well be original.

Harold Lee Pickens
08-13-2021, 07:45 PM
Really nice gun, I agree the nose looks high. Great score.

Bruce Hering
08-13-2021, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. I am a happy camper.... This parker thing has got me but good.... I have a few more shooters that I would like to get my hands on. Gotta watch the retirement account....LOL. Nice part about it is wife likes em.... Especially Damascus barreled ones with straight stocks.

Bruce Hering
08-13-2021, 07:56 PM
Thinking out loud with a question; What is there to be said about the Parker single selective trigger ? I am all ears.

Brian Dudley
08-13-2021, 08:09 PM
It's a beautiful Parker.

I'll venture an educated guess that Turnbull did the case colors and the darkly stained checkering and the perfect quality of the checkering looks like Brian Dudley's fine work.
The "nose of the comb" does seem high but I have seen other lower grade Parkers with a very similar nose. The wood could very well be original.

Your speculation is not correct. I do not know the gun. I had nothing to do with it. The colors may be Turnbull, but I cannot say for sure.

Dean Romig
08-13-2021, 09:55 PM
Well, don't be offended Brian, it was meant as a compliment as it is quality work.

Brian Dudley
08-13-2021, 10:16 PM
I am not.
I am just saying that I am pretty sure I did not do any work on the gun. But, I can check the serial number against my books. I have moved over 1600 guns through my books in the last 10 years, with half of those being guns I worked on in some form or another, so I cannot remember them all, even though I try.

jefferyconnor
08-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Thinking out loud with a question; What is there to be said about the Parker single selective trigger ? I am all ears.

Yours looks like the same trigger I have on a DHE. Mine has been trouble free. I don't prefer them but don't mind single triggers.

Bruce Hering
08-13-2021, 10:34 PM
Yours looks like the same trigger I have on a DHE. Mine has been trouble free. I don't prefer them but don't mind single triggers.

Thanks Jeff....

Richard Flanders
08-14-2021, 11:04 AM
Visually, I see no reasons to not buy this gun. It's about as good a restoration as you could ever find. If the wood is not original, I suspect someone just wanted more "modern" dimensions, as in a lesser DAC/DAH that seems so popular these days.

Bruce Hering
08-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Visually, I see no reasons to not buy this gun. It's about as good a restoration as you could ever find. If the wood is not original, I suspect someone just wanted more "modern" dimensions, as in a lesser DAC/DAH that seems so popular these days.

Richard: I did play with gun at my FFL yesterday. It fits quite nicely and "the look" when mounted seems about perfect. It does seem a bit long in LOP but not by much and I can have a "tad" ground off the pad if need be. I shoot sporting and FITASC from an out of pocket stance so I may want to put an angle on the top of the pad and add some "slippery" surface dressing to that area. Will also likely round off the edges of the pad.

Mike Koneski
08-14-2021, 04:05 PM
Bruce, now you're diggin' where the taters are!! :)

Mike Koneski
08-14-2021, 04:09 PM

I have two Parker's with single triggers. The trigger was not what sold me on either gun. Both triggers so far have functioned flawlessly. They are a "Miller style" but not Miller. I have been told they could be an Ithaca trigger even though both guns letter as single but neither are one of the Parker designs.

Bruce Hering
08-14-2021, 06:10 PM
I have two Parker's with single triggers. The trigger was not what sold me on either gun. Both triggers so far have functioned flawlessly. They are a "Miller style" but not Miller. I have been told they could be an Ithaca trigger even though both guns letter as single but neither are one of the Parker designs.

Interesting Mike. Thanks for the info.

Kevin McCormack
08-17-2021, 10:32 AM
If they are "Miller style" single triggers it is very likely that they are exactly that, but modified in some small way. That is, built according to Miller design(s) but not built by Miller and of course not marked Miller. I have seen a couple of single triggers that were modified this way that were custom built for live pigeon shooters. I had a very early Parker prototype single trigger in my 12 gauge BHE double which had been pretty much shot to pieces, then completely botched by a series of unknown trigger cranks. I had Miller install one of the last single triggers they ever built and shot it for years without any problems. It was a non-selective trigger since both barrels were choked exactly alike. Un-tinkered with, they are bullet-proof. I don't know anything about Ithaca single triggers and would have a hard time identifying one.

Bruce Hering
08-17-2021, 07:56 PM

See below

See below

See below

Bruce, now you're diggin' where the taters are!! :)

See below

If they are "Miller style" single triggers it is very likely that they are exactly that, but modified in some small way. That is, built according to Miller design(s) but not built by Miller and of course not marked Miller. I have seen a couple of single triggers that were modified this way that were custom built for live pigeon shooters. I had a very early Parker prototype single trigger in my 12 gauge BHE double which had been pretty much shot to pieces, then completely botched by a series of unknown trigger cranks. I had Miller install one of the last single triggers they ever built and shot it for years without any problems. It was a non-selective trigger since both barrels were choked exactly alike. Un-tinkered with, they are bullet-proof. I don't know anything about Ithaca single triggers and would have a hard time identifying one.

See below

Well, she looks great. The photos Mr. Kinsey posted hid nothing and his evaluation was spot on. (see GI add for pictures) I hope thats OK

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-ghe-12-ga-32-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101705884

To me, since I like to shoot all my guns, this restored gun fits the bill perfectly. I am especially enamored with the "pale" case colors. All the other needed marks seem to be there but I have not removed the long tang trigger guard to look for a number on the butt stock. It appears the engraving on the trigger guard has been enhanced as there was a very small burr there which disappeared after I ran my thumb nail over it a time or two.

The wood (quite nice in my opinion) is what one might suspect from an ordered GHE and both forearm and butt seem to match up quite well. As to the trigger; there is no indication of maker visible to me but it does function as desired selecting each barrel. The PGCA letter indicates "single trigger" so I am not sure what that means as reference to this gun.

This is a #2 frame so things are a bit heavier then I am acquainted with but, with that said, it feels quite nice in hand and on shoulder. I do need to spend some time with this gun as it is stocked just about right for me but I have been shooting guns that are not really quite there so I have learned to adapt as it were. Now I need to learn this gun. It is choked quite tight in both barrels and that may be fine for the trap or live bird ring so I need to see what some different ammo will do.

I found myself stopping my swing and coming up behind some birds today at the trap field. Rookie mistakes but there is a learning curve here. I plan to put a bunch of rounds through this gun on the trap field and the clays course in the next few months, time and health allowing.

All in all I am quite proud of this gun. I have not named it as yet but will, I am sure, in the near future.....

Randy G Roberts
08-17-2021, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce

All in all I am quite proud of this gun. I have not named it as yet but will, I am sure, in the near future.....[/QUOTE]

Helluva has been patented as a gun name already, just sayin :)

Joe Dreisch
08-17-2021, 08:32 PM
That gun should be pure hell on the dove field! Also, it'll be fun to look at between shots!

Bruce Hering
08-17-2021, 10:08 PM
Dbl Post.....

Bruce Hering
08-17-2021, 10:09 PM
That gun should be pure hell on the dove field! Also, it'll be fun to look at between shots!

Joe: For most of the dove shoots I do its choked way to tight.... Not that spreader loads might make a difference. It will see some dove field work. Cant leave it home. Just need to shoot a bigger field.... LOL

Mills Morrison
08-18-2021, 11:14 AM
I am taking my new GHE for opening day. It might be a bit tight choked but we'll see

Bruce Hering
08-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Here is a pic of the type of selective trigger on my gun (not my gun):

https://i.imgur.com/g83F8uO.jpg?1

There are no marks on it that I can find as identification. Mine does not have the stamped "R" or "L" at either end of the trigger plate selector.

Any ideas ?