PDA

View Full Version : 1889 10 ga. DH Value

Jason Green
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Greetings to all,

Wonderful resource here - appreciate it. Brief history: my neighbor died suddenly, & he had a big collection, including a Parker 1889 DH. We were close. I am helping the widow and have sent collection to a local gun store on consignment and priced everything except the Parker. I intend to get the Parker identification letter for her soon.

To get a jump start on the value estimate, my question is: does anyone out there have any additional information about this gun that might help me price it for her?

Technical Info:
Parker 10 ga.
Serial #: 58969
Made in 1889, DH grade
Frame Size: 3
Original metal finish, gray patina. Barrel says "Damascus Steel" and has not been cut down.
*photos attached with link below

http://picasaweb.google.com/kenmlyn/ParkerShotgun?feat=directlink

Feel free to contact me at my email: jasong.23@gmail.com

Regards,
Jason

Jason Green
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
If the link for the photos does not work please let me know. I do not know how to put them onto thread.

Gill Frye
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Mid South gun shop had one that looked similar to yours that could have been bought for $3800. This gun had been shot a whole lot and was a bit loose...yours may be different.
Regards,
Gill

Jason Green
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Thank you for the post. Yes the action on this is really tight. The lever sits just to the right and it locks up solid. There is some pitting just past the chambers but the rest of the bore is shinny.

Austin W Hogan
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Be sure you point out to potential buyers that it is a 3 frame 10, with a dog engraved on the floor plate. The dog is found on the earlier hammerless guns; later guns have the array of birds.

Best, Austin

David Dwyer
01-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I have a similar gun, but on a 2 frame. I think $3,500 would be a fair price. I love mine and kill a few ducks with it every year.
David

Jack Cronkhite
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
From what I see, all the screws appear properly indexed except these two. They may have been installed on the wrong side (Not by Parker). If you have proper fitting hollow ground screw driver (turn screw) tips, you might want to trade sides and see if they don't line up with the long axis of the gun, rather than what appears to be the same several degrees clockwise. Makes for a better advertising picture if selling on-line. I would start with the top screw in the picture to see if the screw bottom has a score line across it. Left side of the gun screws are marked like that to ensure they end up in the proper spot. If that screw is indeed marked, then both have been over torqued (not good) I would then re-install that screw to the correct alignment and back off the other one slightly. If that screw is not marked then I would remove the other one and trade them around. Cheers, Jack
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_--1_OBRYaqY/TTcEivSfEdI/AAAAAAAAAJU/anRvRex5rYU/s640/IMG_0598.JPGhttp://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=128&pictureid=1476
BTW, ignore the + sign statement. This image needs to be redone. The + sign can be found on the single screw ahead of the trigger bow when all three screws are of the same length. When the third screw is longer, it is not marked, as there can be no confusion.

George Lander
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Out of curiosity would a D Grade 10 gauge hammergun in similar condition be valued about the same or more or less?

Best Regards, George

Mark Ouellette
01-21-2011, 04:20 AM
George,

Puglisi's pulled their Parker Hammerguns off the market until the economy recovers.

I have both hammerless and lifter and top lever hammerguns in Grade 3 (DH), I'd pay more for a hammergun. There were less mid and high grade hammerguns made.

Mark

Jason Green
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info on the screws. I have put the parker at the gun store for more exposure. Next week I will have some time to check the screws on the bottom. I posted the gun for $6500.00. I believe this might be on the high side for this gun. Next step is to get the letter.

Jason

ED J, MORGAN
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I would say you are very much on the high side.

Steve Parker
01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I purchased a very similar gun a little over a year ago for 2750. The gun I purchased had a skeleton butt plate, which most would consider a plus on the value side. I purchased my gun from a well known dealer.

Dean Romig
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't buy a D without a skeleton buttplate, unless, of course, it "lettered" with a different butt treatment.

Mark Ouellette
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I was thinking $3k would be a resonable price.

Mark

Jason Green
01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Thank you for the accurate pricing. I priced it on the very high side, only trying to get the most money for the widow.

JG

Eric Eis
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Jason problem is if you price it too high you lose anyone looking at it. I understand why you did that but you are not going to help her if no one bothers to make an offer and where you have it priced I think that will be the end result. Eric

Jason Green
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I think you are right Eric, I figure I will leave it priced high until I get the Parker Letter. Then make the best decision on the value. I guess I am holding out for some great piece of information on this gun that would make unique. Seems that around 3500 to 4000 is what folks are saying. Your thoughts on the value?

JG

Eric Eis
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I think you are right Eric, I figure I will leave it priced high until I get the Parker Letter. Then make the best decision on the value. I guess I am holding out for some great piece of information on this gun that would make unique. Seems that around 3500 to 4000 is what folks are saying. Your thoughts on the value?

JG

I think you are in the ballpark, a little high but not enough to scare someone off. Eric