PDA

View Full Version : Tiny flat spring in the handguard of my GHE that keeps tension on the release level i

Roberto S Siciliano
05-21-2021, 03:04 PM
The tiny flat spring in the handguard of my GHE that keeps tension on the release lever is broken.

Does anyone know of anyone that may have one?

I already spoke with Brian Dudley and he's out of them.

HELP!

Roberto S Siciliano
05-21-2021, 03:06 PM
It's about 30mm long

John Campbell
05-21-2021, 04:53 PM
Have it laser welded back together. Contact Tony South 269-668-2760

Kevin McCormack
05-21-2021, 07:34 PM
What is a "hand guard"? Are you talking about a top lever return spring? If so, a qualified gunsmith can make you one (probably while you watch if you make and appointment). I've had it done twice; its a real education and not that expensive.

PS - this looks like a safety slide detent spring to me (??).

Roberto S Siciliano
05-21-2021, 07:47 PM
What is a "hand guard"? Are you talking about a top lever return spring? If so, a qualified gunsmith can make you one (probably while you watch if you make and appointment). I've had it done twice; its a real education and not that expensive.

PS - this looks like a safety slide detent spring to me (??).

Thanks for your input.

Some folks call it a handguard, other call it a forearm grip. The piece of wood under the barrels that you grip when firing with your non trigger hand. Call it what you may.

The little lever on my 12ga GHE that releases this forearm from the barrels, has tension on it from a flat spring, 30mm long and from 3mm to 6mm wide with a hole on the wider side. It broke.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that may have one? I already contacted Tony smith for a micro weld. I'm shopping around and exploring my options.

Kevin McCormack
05-22-2021, 08:32 AM
OK; it's simply a forend release latch spring (not the flat top lever return spring I referenced earlier. A "hand guard" is a leather-covered metal sleeve used on splinter forend guns to protect your fingers when the barrels get hot). So its more or less a specialty item that you are not likely to find readily available unless someone has a sizeable Parker parts inventory. Kensal's idea of having it laser welded is a good one.

George Stanton
05-23-2021, 09:05 AM
It seems like a simple little spring. If the laser welding doesn't work, consider just making a replacement. Read up on spring making and give it a try. I've done it and it really isn't very hard to do.

David C Porter
05-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Send me a text & I'll send a picture of one that I have

Craig Budgeon
05-24-2021, 08:53 PM
I think that spring is the same for all Deeley forend releases found on Parkers.

John Campbell
05-25-2021, 09:08 AM
I think that spring is the same for all Deeley forend releases found on Parkers.

No offense intended, but the Parker forend latch is NOT a Deeley patent. It was made different enough to avoid the Deeley patent. It still works well however.

Full details in my new book, Birth of The Boxlock. Available from Amazon, The Double Gun Journal or Mowbray Publishing: https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/boxlock-shotgun/

Craig Budgeon
05-25-2021, 10:31 AM
John, you are right that Parker avoided patient infringement by changing the engagement with the barrels. However, my use of the word Deeley was meant to distinguish it from the wedge and friction retained forearms of some Parkers.

Tom Pellegrini
05-25-2021, 03:14 PM
If all else fails just contact Dave Fjelline and send it to him. He does not let work stack up. He usually takes care of each job as it comes to him. Can't beat the work, the turn around ant the price in my opinion.

john pulis
05-26-2021, 07:23 AM
You can make small flat springs from auto “feeler” gauges. Measure the thickness of the original and match it as closely as possible to one.