PDA

View Full Version : Re-barreling Parker PH

Dylan Rhodes
03-13-2021, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a hunting buddy that came into a Parker PH 12 gauge serial 62100 with twist steel barrels, the problem, they are visibly dented and pitted both in and out. The local gunsmith has advised not to shoot it, and he is weighing the possibility of turning it into a 20ga with tubes. So, dumb question here for the experts from someone who is certainly not an expert. If he can manage to find a set of orphaned 12 gauge steel 1 frame barrels, is it a viable option to have them fitted to the gun? My gut is telling me that doesn’t seem possible, and certainly not any more economical of a solution to get it shooting again. So, for my own knowledge, money aside, is it possible?

jefferyconnor
03-13-2021, 11:46 PM
I've never done it or had it done. I've read here that sometimes they fit right in, sometimes they don't. I've never had any barrels that would interchange between my Parkers, although I've only owned a few. From reading here, a few fellows have refit barrels or had them refit, so it can for sure be done, with varying amounts of work.

Dylan Rhodes
03-13-2021, 11:49 PM
I've never done it or had it done. I've read here that sometimes they fit right in, sometimes they don't. I've never had any barrels that would interchange between my Parkers, although I've only owned a few. From reading here, a few fellows have refit barrels or had them refit, so it can for sure be done, with varying amounts of work.

Thanks, i think that satisfies my question. I know better than to ask for a cost estimate, could be from zero to a bunch. It all depends.

Dean Romig
03-14-2021, 07:04 AM
I had a set of Damascus barrels fit to my DH as a second choice of chokes to the F/F chokes of its Titanic barrels. The late great Russ Bickel did the work and back then (2008 or so) the cost was about $800 and then I sent the Damascus barrels to the late great Brad Bachelder to refinish them and number them to the gun and that was about $450 or so. All aspects of the job came out perfectly.

Bill Murphy
03-14-2021, 08:56 AM
I have several Parkers that have barrels that were not made for that gun. All very minor fitting was done in my shop. I have a BH ten gauge World's Fair gun that has 18" cut barrels. I just bought EH grade guns until I found one whose barrels would fit the BH. It only took about three EH guns until I found perfectly fitting barrels.

Dylan Rhodes
03-14-2021, 10:43 AM
Thanks as always everyone!

Jerry VanHorn
03-15-2021, 08:27 AM
I once bought a GH 16/O frame/straight grip gun from a member. He said the barrels were like a train wreck..He was right. Soon after..on Ebay..there was a set of barrels..I figured I could use them for some gun if they did not fit. Dean R. said to remove the hook..and see if they snapped on ..I did..and they fit like a factory job. Needed just the tiniest tweeking to be perfect. Bill Shwarz did the fit and numbered them to the gun. Brian Board fixed the crack in the stock..and I still have it.

Harold Lee Pickens
03-15-2021, 12:13 PM
I have 2 Utica Fox SW 16's--they will interchange barrels.
i have 2 Utica Fox SW 20's-- they will interchange barrels--actually I did sell one.
I tried my 20 VHE barrels on my DHE 16--they would take some fitting.Certainly didnt try to force anything. Think I'll try my VH 20 barrels on my GH 16--covid boredom.

Dean Romig
03-15-2021, 03:31 PM
A word to the wise to anyone attempting to see if one set of barrels will fit a different Parker - Remove the Cocking Hook before you try. *** the voice of experience ***

Harold Lee Pickens
03-15-2021, 03:39 PM
thanks Dean

Dylan Rhodes
03-15-2021, 05:16 PM
A word to the wise to anyone attempting to see if one set of barrels will fit a different Parker - Remove the Cocking Hook before you try. *** the voice of experience ***

A question from the unwise - why?

I believe you and If i ever do I will, but what “”experience” did you experience?

Dean Romig
03-15-2021, 05:37 PM
The hook wouldn’t allow the barrels to be ‘disconnected’ from the frame. I had to remove the stock and remove the floor plate in order to release the cocking hook from the cocking crank.
Not a fun project when all the while I was berating myself for thinking it would be okay just this once...

Dylan Rhodes
03-15-2021, 05:38 PM
The hook wouldn’t allow the barrels to be ‘disconnected’ from the frame. I had to remove the stock and remove the floor plate in order to release the cocking hook from the cocking crank.
Not a fun project when all the while I was berating myself for thinking it would be okay just this once...

Thanks as always Dean

Mike Koneski
03-17-2021, 11:58 AM
If you can find bbls that are close to what you need then buy them and have them fit. I'd have the compromised bbls sent to Briley for full length tubes and then you'll have a fun two bbl set. Enjoy them, these guns were made to shoot!!