PDA

View Full Version : Help please on a mint vh 20 gauge

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 12:08 AM
I recently inherited this vh 20 gauge. It was preserved new in the wrapper by my grandfather. However I have some questions. The gun looks new and never modified by a gunsmith, however it has auto ejectors and a pachmayr pad. We're these factory upgrades 100 years ago or was this gun modified. According to my research auto ejector models were vhe stamped. Please help.

David Noble
03-13-2021, 02:14 AM
The water table of the frame was not marked VHE, GHE etc. only the grade mark and an H to signify a hammerless gun.
You are correct to question the originality of the pachmayr pad as they were not available that far back. It appears your shotgun had some refinishing in the past also, so it is not a near mint original Parker. However, it was your grandfathers gun and that alone has value. Have it checked over by a competent gunsmith and if he finds it safe then you will have a classic small bore SxS shotgun to cherish and shoot. Congratulations!

Patrick Lien
03-13-2021, 02:45 AM
I recently inherited this vh 20 gauge. It was preserved new in the wrapper by my grandfather. However I have some questions. The gun looks new and never modified by a gunsmith, however it has auto ejectors and a pachmayr pad. We're these factory upgrades 100 years ago or was this gun modified. According to my research auto ejector models were vhe stamped. Please help.

It may have been preserved "new in a wrapper" from somewhere by someone but not from Parker Bros. Your gun does not "look new" and does not "look never modified by a gunsmith". Of course this is just my opinion just like yours. I am sure opinions on value will vary. I hope this helps.

PML

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 06:31 AM
Thank you guys. That's what I was afraid of.

Harold Lee Pickens
03-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Still, it is a great little gun Derek. VHE 20's are wonderful field guns and are quite desirable. I have one that is rough, but has become my favorite grouse gun. Does yours have 26 or 28" barrels. Dont be dissapointed, its still a great little gun.

Brian Dudley
03-13-2021, 07:06 AM
Those look like torch colors on the frame too.
As others have stated, the gun is completely refinished, and rather poorly. Get it checked out to make sure no critical damage was done and them shoot it and enjoy it.

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 07:42 AM
Ok. Will do. Thank you so much. I am pretty good with guns in general. I am an armorer for sig, glock, beneli and colt. However I have no clue about older guns so I appreciate all the input. You won't hurt my feelings, lol

edgarspencer
03-13-2021, 09:49 AM
It left the factory as a VHE

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 11:37 AM
How do you know sir?

Harold Lee Pickens
03-13-2021, 01:06 PM
It looks like it has ejectors, hence the VHE

edgarspencer
03-13-2021, 02:15 PM
How do you know sir?

A) from your pictures and B) the book says code 2

Brian Dudley
03-13-2021, 02:54 PM
I think I know where the OP is going with this.

The frames of all parkers were marked with the grade. In your case V or in later examples VH. They will not be marked VHE (on ejector guns). The guns were not marked in any way in regards to having ejectors. They just had them or didnt have them.

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Ok, thanks, it's stamped vh so I was confused. It definitely has them, first time I cracked it open one of the snap caps flew out and scared the crap out of me. I appreciate all the help. I don't know too much about these old side by sides. I have 2 lc smith's and an AH Fox, a Spanish Derby and I love all of them but this parker is my new favorite. I am hooked. Now I want another one, lol

Derek Barow
03-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Thanks again ! Just saw your second reply.

Derek Barow
03-14-2021, 08:22 PM
So they are 28 inch barrels and family rumor has it the gun was refinished in 1958 by pachmayr. Then stored. Does that even sound right? I thought they made grips?

Dean Romig
03-14-2021, 08:26 PM
No, Pachmayr did not refinish that gun - sorry.

But this is just my opinion...

Derek Barow
03-14-2021, 08:36 PM
Ok, thx. Been trying to find some paperwork on it......

Mike Koneski
03-15-2021, 09:27 AM
The "Book" shows 198300 leaving the factory in 1906 as a hammerless V grade, ejectors, capped pistol grip 20g with 28" bbls.

Derek Barow
03-15-2021, 10:16 AM
Thank you so much ! The members on here are truly the best.

Bill Murphy
03-15-2021, 07:07 PM
Don't look for Pachmayr paperwork for the metal refinish. Maybe they freshened up the wood.

Dave Noreen
03-15-2021, 07:34 PM
The "Book" shows 198300 leaving the factory in 1906 as a hammerless V grade, ejectors, capped pistol grip 20g with 28" bbls.

The serial number chronology on the home page shows it to be 1922?!?

That wood looks a lot nicer than Parker Bros. was putting on a Quality VHE. I suspect it was restocked at the time of the refinish.

Typical Quality VH/VHE Parker Bros. wood --

Derek Barow
03-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Thanks, guys.

Brian Dudley
03-16-2021, 07:07 PM
I would not agree on that restock dave. But that is just me. Yes earlier V grade guns were very plain, but I would say that for a 1920s made gun, that stock on the gun is not out of the realm of possibility. I would vote that it is refinished original wood. From the little that I see from where I sit.

Derek Barow
03-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Thank you for your input sir. What amazes me is that this gun doesn't have any wear on the action. Not a scratch in the barrels, even where it tilts. I would think a 100 plus year old gun would show more wear.

Dean Romig
03-16-2021, 09:06 PM
Derek sir, you don’t know what to look for. The evidence is clear to those who knowvwhat to look for.

Look at the worn or polished out border engraving, some of the screw slots have been damaged and “repeired”. Then the frame was “torched” in an attempt to replicate some sort of case color. It’s really not what you think it is.

Sorry for the bad news.

Derek Barow
03-16-2021, 09:11 PM
Never said I disagree. I get its worthless junk. Still cool. Looks in nice shape to a guy like me that works on evil black guns all day. I sure learned a lot and I thank you guys for it.

Dean Romig
03-16-2021, 10:03 PM
You’ll never hear or see me saying another man’s Parker is worthless junk. It may turn out to be a perfectly good shooter. One of my worst buying mistakes was in fact a very good shooter.

Harold Lee Pickens
03-16-2021, 10:05 PM
It sure as hell is not junk Derek. It is just a refinished gun--most of us have some in our possesion. Sure it has some warts, it is over 100 years old, and was probably used alot. I would shoot it a lot if I owned it, would be a great hunting gun. I own a VH 20 that has been reblued, re-case colored, and refinished--and I guarantee that it would sell in hours were I to list it on this forum.
Dean did not call it junk, it is easy to the practiced eye to pick up on the flaws and fixes befitting a 100+ year old gun.

Derek Barow
03-16-2021, 10:21 PM
Understood, I am excited to shoot it. I appreciate all of the info, I learned a lot. It is disappointing that it was refinished by a low quality operation. Still meant something to my grandfather so at least I have that going for me......

Daryl Corona
03-17-2021, 05:03 AM
Above all Derek, it's a 20 ga. Shoot it and enjoy the beauty of a smallbore Parker.

Garth Gustafson
03-17-2021, 05:20 AM
Derek, most of us here would be thrilled to inherit a family Parker in any condition. And knowing what he did to maintain it just makes the story more interesting and personal. I hope you shoot that gun often, care for it and enjoy it as much as your grandfather did.

Andrew Sacco
03-17-2021, 08:00 AM
Something will happen to you when you shoot it. They just are different, they handle and point nice and I would give a left leg to have any Parker in any condition handed down to me. A 20g Parker is NOT junk!

Harold Lee Pickens
03-17-2021, 11:29 AM
In regards to restoring/refinishing guns, I have no problem with reblued/refinished barrels done properly and nicely refinished wood. I dont care for re-case coloring, however.
I have a little A grade 16Fox that was in poor condition when bought. The stock was refinished, and barrels nicely reblued. I left the wonderful soft, silvery patina of the receiver alone.

Dave Noreen
03-17-2021, 12:35 PM
Brian, the VH stock I pictured, 195024, is as close in serial number to the OP's gun as I had in my files. I have a 1930 vintage 20-gauge VH in the low 235xxx range that is just as plain.

Bill Murphy
03-17-2021, 05:20 PM
Yup, I have never seen a 1922 V grade with wood like that. About $1500 or $2000 will bring that gun's metal condition back to a condition that will match the wood. In my opinion, that's the way to go. Mr. Dudley may be the person to do that.

Derek Barow
03-21-2021, 08:21 PM
Shot her today, did some skeet too. Instantly I had a crowd of old timers around me. What a great shooting gun. I told them the opinion that the gun was refinished poorly, the guys at Quinton shooting club attacked me Instantly and said it's actually finished very nicely. Maybe it looks better in sunlight. Anyway, they tried to buy the gun from me, when I explained how I ended up with it they backed off. I am very happy with this gun. Shot my AH Fox and LC Smith too. What a great day. Gun ran flawless and locked up tight. Had the chokes measured they are full and mod. Didn't take long to powder some clays. The gun shot a little high for me but as soon as I dialed it in it was easy to get on target.

Shane Jennings
03-21-2021, 09:13 PM
It's definitely a cool old gun. 1,000X cooler since it came from your grandfather. Enjoy shooting it!

Harold Lee Pickens
03-22-2021, 08:32 AM
There you go, I shot sc yesterday with an old vintage 16 Ithaca, and Brett Hoops with a 28 repro. Only ones there with sxs's

Derek Barow
03-22-2021, 12:13 PM
Now if I could just find some ammo......

edgarspencer
03-22-2021, 01:42 PM
Now if I could just find some ammo......

I’d recommend getting into reloading. Only problem being the lack of available components. Keep checking Walmart. One of our group has been lucky finding Winchester ammo there.

Bobbie Barrett
03-23-2021, 07:35 PM
I wish that I would have inherited such a beautiful parker. The SN would indicate that the gun was produced in the 1920's. That would make your gun over a 100 year's old! Not many 20 gauge VH's have such figured wood even if it has been refinished. What makes the gun priceless is you get hunt with your grandfather's parker 20 gauge. Most people will never get to shoot a parker even if the stock and metal work has been refinished. The recoil pad is of quality work, thou not original to the gun, and auto ejectors make the gun considerably more valuable.

Derek Barow
03-23-2021, 08:09 PM
Thank you, It shoots so nice. I can't believe a 100 year old gun has such great characteristics.