PDA

View Full Version : Parker #159159 ?? CHE

william faulk
01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Purchased gun this morning..
Gun is a live bird gun without safety..32" barrels..excellent condition.
Gun is missing front sight.
Was this an ivory or the metal bead?
Any guess where I can locate the correct replacement?
Does have a small metal mid bead.
Gun has capped pistol grip.
Parker book has a S listed by this Serial #..???
Stock appears to be all original ..what goes?
I will get a letter but any suggestios will be greately appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Ed Blake
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
You hit a home run. My DHE has a plain metal bead, with a tiny ivory/white mid-bead. Get a letter, those no-safety guns can be interesting and a C-grade to boot.

Bruce Day
01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Bill, a metal front sight bead is likely original, but you can put ivory or metal in. Galazan has them.

So the Serialization Book says S for straight grip and the gun has a PG stock. Just check to make sure existing stock is original. Its not uncommon that the Book has an incorrect entry. I have a gun with that same error, but reversed...the book says C and its an original S stock.

Congratulations on your aquisition.

william faulk
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the fast replys,
If this is not the original stock,it was carved by a Master ..
I have compared stock to detailed C 3 pictures on the web and in the Parker books
every line,curve,checkering is exact to this gun..stock has a great oil finish..no varnish.
Trigger bow and tang are certainly not for a straight stock..wood to metal is perfect!!
Can't wait to shoot it..maybe all the misses have long been shot out.
Thanks,
Bill

Dean Romig
01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Congratulations Bill! You should order a letter on your new CHE. A letter may indicate what the front bead was if something other than the standard metal bead was ordered. In fact, there may even be some notation refering to replacing the stock with the PG one it now sports. It would be great if your gun letters with such notations but more likely it will not. We consider ourselves very lucky indeed to have such notations included in our research letters.

Chris Travinski
01-13-2011, 08:40 PM
William,
Do you have any pictures? Ed is right, live bird guns are interesting and sometimes come with a history lesson. Would love to see it.
Thanks,
Chris

william faulk
01-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi all,
I will try to post some pics asap..I am not to hot on this lap top..I just discovered electric can openers..
Thanks to all..I really enjoy reading all of the postings...

Bill

william faulk
04-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Getting gun back from DelGregos next week...been a long wait..
Will post pics SAP...
Bill:cheers:

John Truitt
04-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Mr. Faulk,

Cant wait to see pictures.
To help with your original ?, the serialization book can certainly be wrong but note that the trap and box bird guns were used/ shot. Many were sent back to Parker and had changes including restocking. I have two such guns with documentation of being converted from straight stocks to pistol grips and one who had a saftey added later (IMO thats a dam shame).
Definitely get a letter.

Sounds like a great gun and the kind you will want to shoot at the southern for the Challenge Event.

John

william faulk
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks,John
I do have the "letter" ..Gun was shipped to Sportsman Supply Company in Pittsburg on 08/02/1912.Gun was returned by a W.S.Brown of Pittsburg on 06/27/1917 to replace straight grip stock with a C.P.G. stock that the gun wears today.I have the original stock as well that an Association member bought 15 years ago at a gun show.What do you think the odds are on that.?
Both stocks are numbered to the gun.
Gun had broken ejectors,loose rib at muzzle,surface rust on one side from being in a case for 40 years.Mr DelGrego has taken care of this.
Will post pictures when comes next week.It will be shot at the Southern for certain.
Bill :cheers:

John Rutledge
04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Bill, I have a 32 inch/no safety 12 guage DHE without a safety. The mid bead is a small metal one and the front beads were ivory....one is missing and will be replaced soon. The documentation saids it left the factory with a half pistol grip and two triggers. It has been modified to a straight stock and a single selective trigger.....probably a Miller by the looks of it.

My ejectors are also broken and I have trouble se-assembling the gun when I take it apart. If any of you ahve any suggestions, please let me know.

John Rutledge

william faulk
04-02-2011, 01:13 PM
John,
My ejector problem was that the ejector stop plate located in the barrel extension was missing.The ejector rods would slide right turough and fall out of the gun when breech was open.The small set screw was also broken off.
I had Larry DelGrego replace the screw and solder in a new plate .
He mentioned that this was a common problem with these old Parkers but easily fixed.
I will have gun next week and am sure DelGrego will have it right.

Bill :rotf:

Dean Romig
04-02-2011, 02:24 PM
John, best advice for Parker ejector problems is to send it to Del Grego.

william faulk
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
John,
Larry DelGrego's number is 315-894-8754, 895-7395.
If a Parker problem exists,this man can fix it.He is also a real Gentleman.
Bill :bowdown:

lee sykes
04-04-2011, 07:32 AM
For what it's worth, my 16 ga CH (1913), has an ivory middle bead and an ivory front bead.
The front bead is in the shape of a half sphere with the flat side toward the breech.
I don't know if it was made that way or if it split but the cut looks clean.

william faulk
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I haven't seen gun yet but what you described sounds like the replacement beads DelGrego put on this gun.
Thanks,
Bill:cheers: