PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith Dewey Vicknair

David Dwyer
01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Beware! I contacted him last Sept,he agreed to do some work on a Parker,said he could begin in Jan and be done by March, I continued to discuss the project with him,I sent him a deposit to secure my spot, sent him the "gun" in Dec., discussed the work further, then get a call in Jan that he is just too busy,has had people waiting over a year and is sending my gun and check back. IMHO ,not very professional.
David

Forrest Grilley
01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
At least he is sending the gun and check back. I've heard horror stories about gunsmiths that have dragged on for years. If he was that backed up he should have stated that from the get go, but at least he admitted to being in over his head in a relatively short amount of time. Chalk this one up to experience I guess. Hope you have better luck with the next one.

Dean Romig
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
David, you have my sympathy and to let you know that I care.... you can send me your Parkers and checks and I promise I will not send them back.

David Dwyer
01-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Dean
You are true friend!!! I also believe that ,with a little training, you will make a fantastic board member.:bigbye:
David

David Dwyer
01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
No Jent ,he did not.

George Lander
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
David: As you probably know, I am an advocate of Jim Kelly, Darlington Gun Works, right up the road from you. You might want to talk with him about your gun.

Best Regards, George

David Dwyer
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
George
Jim Kelly does most of my work,does a great job ,and is an honorable man. Part of this work was sculpting the bolsters on a Hammergun upgrade project and Jim did not want to do that. Dewey agreed to do it, so I gave the whole project to him
David

John Truitt
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
David,

Give me a call. I have good news regarding what we had talked about last week.

John

Jerry Andrews
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I've only heard good news about this gentleman, he's always had great reviews in any circle in which his name is mentioned. As a fellow stockmaker, I think it's admirable he was up front and didn't pull any punches anyway. I've heard a ton of horror stories myself. I've found out it's always better to simply be upfront even if it's not exactly
what the person wants to hear. They'll respect you in the long run. Jerry

Bill Murphy
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Yup. I've had important guns held hostage for years. Not at Dewey Vicknair's shop. He has rescued me from a couple of these hostage situations.

David Hamilton
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM
David, My experiences with Dewey have very good. He is slow because he works by-him-self and has many guns waiting. Sorry you were disappointed but I still believe Dewey is very straight forward and dependable. David