PDA

View Full Version : New Member In Virginia

BrianLiszkay
02-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Nice to meet everyone and be apart of this organization. Thank You for having me. Here is my main question: What is the best way to get this Parker open to get to the identifying marks?

I just got it back from a gunsmith and he soaked it in oil for a couple weeks, ran it in a electrolysis tank for a few days, and then cleaned it up as best he could without damaging. At the beginning you could barely even see any of the engraving work. Now we can see a hunting scene on all 3 sides. It seems too small for 12g and too big for 20g. It probably lost some thickness over the 80+ years in the dirt so still thinking it is a 12g. We think it is a grade 3. Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We do not think the hinge pin will budge and even if drilled out he doesn't think it will allow it to be opened. Thank You!

Michael Kitterman
02-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Too sad, another one lost to time.

Brian Dudley
02-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Looks like a B (5) grade. Due to the single beaded fence. Wow! That is what they call a Relic.

Do you know any history on it as to how it came to be in this condition? Maybe Salvaged from the Titanic???

I don't think the damage will "buff out" as they say.

You could TRY to cross drill out the screw that retains the top lever linkage to the bolt and cut out the linkage. But even then, I doubt that the bolt could be worked out if that were done.

Harold Lee Pickens
02-03-2021, 12:19 PM
what a shame, could be 16 ga. Its story would be interesting. Probably will not be able to find any serial #

Michael Kitterman
02-03-2021, 01:26 PM
It looks like the top lever is in the open position and it appears the barrels are slightly raised, I would have to keep soaking the hinge pin with a good penetrating oil, clamp the barrels in a vice and tap the frame to see if I could ever get any movement on it. You might be able to make out the serial number and know a little about the history of this poor girl.

Dean Romig
02-03-2021, 01:51 PM
Well, it's either a Grade 5 or a Grade 6 by that single bead around the bolsters.

Also, judging by the first picture of the barrels, the barrel suffered a catastrophic failure and ruptured probably due to an obstruction. The shooter was so enraged by the incident he immediately flung the gun off into the field and walked home. muttering and cussing the whole way.

... you know - the way golfers do with their clubs after a really bad slice...?

Robert Brooks
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
That is a shame! Bobby

Russ Jackson
02-03-2021, 02:44 PM
If Dean is correct ,maybe the shooter didn't walk home at all ,you didn't find a Skeleton close by did you ???:rotf::rotf:
Really is a shame !

Jerry Harlow
02-03-2021, 06:09 PM
If Dean is correct ,maybe the shooter didn't walk home at all ,you didn't find a Skeleton close by did you ???:rotf::rotf:
Really is a shame !

Or at the least a thumb?

Dean Romig
02-03-2021, 06:24 PM
And not a single buggered screw !

Garry L Gordon
02-03-2021, 08:24 PM
I'm still sitting down from seeing those photos.:crying: Brian, I hope you can be at peace with that gun in its current condition. It still shows the beauty it had when first crafted.

Dean Romig
02-03-2021, 09:12 PM
I’m sure similar fates have befallen a lot more nice Parkers, Foxes. Lefevers, and many others that will never again be seen or recovered. Capsized duck hunting boats of all sorts; lost overboard, left leaning against a tree never to be relocated. House fires, camp fires, the list goes on.

A very sad and unexpected end to a fine old Parker.

Bill Murphy
02-04-2021, 06:23 AM
Your "gunsmith" doesn't seem to be a font of knowledge. Where are you in Virginia? Some of us close by can possibly help you. Bill in Maryland.

Reggie Bishop
02-04-2021, 08:49 AM
I have a straight stock for sale that will probably work with that one.

:cool:

What a shame to see what was once an outstanding Parker in that condition.

Matthew Hanson
02-04-2021, 09:38 AM
WOW! Sad that it is in that condition but as a piece of art it is really cool. Love the barrels even with the blown out part. I think I'd have to put my ear up to it to listen if the old gun can tell a me a story? Great pictures.

Jerry Harlow
02-04-2021, 09:55 AM
Sad thing is, Parker Bros. or Remington could still have been in operation for barrel replacement when it happened, looking at how long it has been wasting away.

Bill Murphy
02-04-2021, 10:25 AM
"Never a screw has been turned." Tom Gibbons. It is an A or B grade, #5 or #6.

Daryl Corona
02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
BrianLiszkay;

That last picture, is that the scene of the crime so to speak? I'd love to hear the rest of the story on how it was found, etc.

Dean Romig
02-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Me too...

legh higgins
02-04-2021, 06:26 PM
:bigbye:dad always said soak it in Coca Cola
frees up any old hinge and the metal cleans right up...:bigbye:

Dean Romig
02-04-2021, 08:01 PM
I used to hear that too and I’ve seen it done but haven’t done it myself.

But I have heard recently that they changed their formula quite some time ago.

But maybe Coca-Cola will do the trick.

Bill Murphy
02-06-2021, 07:33 AM
We've all heard stories about guys who have thrown guns after a bad performance. A "Wild Man" at our club threw a Model 32 Krieghoff over the embankment in front of the trap fields, and walked away. Another member retrieved the gun. When "Mr. Wild Man" asked for the gun after he had calmed down, the member refused to give it to him. He is still shooting that gun today, fifty some years later. I never did hear whether there was a heated discussion, but both men remained members of the club for years to come.

Dean Romig
02-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Any ideas of approximate YOM?

That top lever leaf spring should set an “earlier than” year range at least.

BrianLiszkay
02-07-2021, 11:07 AM
I was clearing some brush for a friend in Warrenton, Virginia. I was picking up metal posts and throwing them in a pile and this one didn't feel like the other ones. Sure enough it was shock and awe that it was not a fence post. A neighbor that was there actually had a parker in good condition. He brought it out and was able to identify this one as a parker. We took side by side comparisons. He is probably on this forum but I am not going to post his parker because I did not ask permission. The owner was happy to let me keep this relic because of how cool it would be. So here I am. I am still trying to get my hands on a friends metal detector. Maybe just maybe I can find a few more pieces but I highly doubt it. Warrenton is an old town and there is history around in every direction. The are farms, land, old family houses all around this area. I too wish I could find more information or be able to answer everyone's questions. We wonder if it was leaning up against a tree, filled with water, and burst the barrels. Who knows what that would do with the interior mechanisms'. That could explain also for not being able to get it open.

I also do believe it is a 16 gauge. On Friday I wrapped it in a cloth and put it gently in a vise and gave it a few healthy hits with a rubber mallet. It does not even budge. I would love to know the next best thing to do to get it open. Penetrating oil? What kind. Heat? I do not want to damage it. sxs gunsmith? Recommendations welcome even if I have to ship it somewhere. For me right now it is best to leave it alone until I find the correct course of action. Thank you again for everyone's comments and feedback.

I am in Gainesville Virginia if anyone is in the area and want's to look at it. I do wish to keep it as it is cool as sh*t and will never happen to me again.

Daniel Carter
02-07-2021, 11:42 AM
I wonder if this gun is loaded. Your theory of leaned against a post and lost is a valid one. Of course the weather factors that destroyed the gun would probably have ruined powder and priming by now but a rod down the barrel measured for length compared to length of barrels would tell you if it is.
Old gun dealer friend used to buy a lot of muzzle loading guns and we were surprised to find many with a charge in the barrel.

BrianLiszkay
02-07-2021, 11:57 AM
I put a probe down when I first got it. It goes all the way down and there is nothing in it. If there is the only thing left could be a brass cap which may also be preventing it from opening. I did not scope it and forgot to ask my gs if he did or not. If he did there was nothing worth reporting to me.

Dean Romig
02-07-2021, 12:06 PM
I sure hope you are able to somehow someday get the serial number from one of the surfaces. Just to know what a research letter would say about it and the person who ordered it would be wonderful. A BH or AH grade was obviously ordered by someone of prominence.

Harold Lee Pickens
02-07-2021, 03:07 PM
At this point, I would just hose it down with penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster, heck even WD40-cant hurt anything. you can even get up inside the receiver with the stock broken off. Let it sit a week or more before trying again.

Dean Romig
02-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Have you tried a sonic cleaner on it?

Ryan Brege
02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
Surely if it is still loaded it is only in the left barrel as I doubt that someone was going to give it a whirl again in the right. Given the tolerances of Parker guns I have serious doubts that gun will ever open again being that rusted.

One might theorize the original owner or heir no doubt suffered a bore obstruction or fired some kind of nitro load. This may have resulted in injury requiring immediate attention to which the owner tossed the weapon and sought out treatment never to return.

Dean Romig
02-08-2021, 09:18 AM
Definitely an obstruction. An overload would bulge or rupture at the chamber/cone juncture most likely.

BrianLiszkay
03-30-2021, 07:58 AM
After a long Saturday metal detecting the only item's found were a rib section from between the barrel's and more poison ivy on my arms. I was looking for the trigger guard with serial number but did not find it; I would have accepted a skeleton or at least pile of buried guns...

I do feel confident that no other parts of this poor Parker remain in the dirt since I successfully cleared the entire area of every beer can, rusty screw, tobacco tin, bag tie, cloths pin spring, bottle top, fence post or hardware, and other unrecognizable item.

A fellow Parker owner lent me 2 books - Parker Guns by Ed Muderlak, and The Parker Story, Gunther, Mullins, Parker, Price, Cote'. One picture from the first book dates this piece as pre 1905 based on the old style linkage for the top lever opener mechanisms. Ill check back in with any more findings when I finish these 2 books in 1.5 to 2 years from now.... Cheers!

Brian Dudley
03-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Well, you cannot say that you didn't try. You get an A for effort. What a story.