PDA

View Full Version : Top Lever slack

jefferyconnor
01-29-2021, 07:03 PM
I have a slightly loose Parker that will close on a .002" shim between the breech and barrels. The top lever, when pushed towards open then shows a 3/8" of play before I can feel the spring beginning to compress. It has play without the shim in also, but then it seems to be less. Before I dismount the stock to see what's going on, does anyone have an idea of what is happening here or might be happening? Is the locking bolt worn and running out of travel, maybe?

Brian Dudley
01-29-2021, 07:34 PM
It is likely just wear to all of the parts of the bolting mecanism. There are 5 or 6 parts that are all suseptible to wear and it will happen over a hundred years of use.

Dean Romig
01-29-2021, 08:18 PM
Or a bit of the spring is broken off.

jefferyconnor
01-30-2021, 01:44 AM
Checking this again, the slack is probably in the linkage as Brian mentioned. One other Parker of mine shows some slack and another doesn't. Looking at parts diagrams and at a Parker I have the stock off of indicates the issue is likely the spring plunger/top lever recess having wear in the recess, the plunger tip or both. I suppose the plunger could have a broken tip, or the spring is weak or broke as Dean mentioned, too. It does not seem to affect function, so I won't worry about for now.

Brian Dudley
01-30-2021, 05:52 AM
What is the year of manufacture on the subject gun?

jefferyconnor
01-31-2021, 02:52 AM
1926. With the barrels off and the bolt gets full travel, there is no slack.

Brian Dudley
01-31-2021, 08:20 AM
Ok. So this is the later top lever design.

So my thoughts about multiple wear points does not really apply. On the later guns the top lever directly engages the bolt and uses a coil spring driven plunger to apply pressure to the lever.

Kevin McCormack
02-02-2021, 07:31 PM
I had the same issue with an 1897 16 ga. 0 frame Damascus gun built for quail hunting according to the PGCA letter. When I had a qualified 'smith examine it he noted that the original top lever return spring had been replaced with a home-made one that was a tiny bit shorter and had in all likelihood not been tempered properly; definitely not factory work.