PDA

View Full Version : It ain't hoar frost . . .

Greg Baehman
01-07-2021, 02:32 PM
. . . but, rather it's a phenomenon called rime ice, leading to some breathtaking scenery. For the past several nights here in Northcentral Wisconsin and in many areas of the Great Lakes region we've experienced dense fog during the night and early morning hours. This has resulted in almost every branch and every little twig of every tree and virtually everything exposed to be covered in rime ice. It is exceedingly beautiful and a Winter Wonderland out here right now in the Upper Midwest.

Rime ice often happens in areas of dense fog, like we have seen the past few nights. It is when supercooled water drops (in liquid form) in the air come in contact with a surface below freezing. Those liquid water droplets then freeze on contact.

Hoar frost is similar to dew and happens on cold and clear nights. This is when water vapor (which is a gas) freezes onto a below-freezing surface. Because of this process, it actually skips the liquid phase in the deposition process.

Mike Koneski
01-07-2021, 03:54 PM
I'm cold just looking at those pics!

Garry L Gordon
01-07-2021, 05:28 PM
Greg, it's quite a sight. We've had the same weather phenomena the last several days. On the prairie, the wind is a constant, and you can see the evidence of the night's wind each morning.

Bob Kimble
01-07-2021, 07:53 PM
The observatory on Mt Washington gets incredible rime ice.

Dean Romig
01-07-2021, 09:20 PM
Very true Bob.

From our deer camp nearly fifty miles away from Mt Washington, in Vermont, with 10X binoculars we can see some weird shapes of rime ice formations in certain conditions.

This is NOT to out-do Greg’s and Garry’s beautiful pictures.

Garry L Gordon
01-08-2021, 06:50 AM
Very true Bob.

From our deer camp nearly fifty miles away from Mt Washington, in Vermont, with 10X binoculars we can see some weird shapes of rime ice formations in certain conditions.

This is NOT to out-do Greg’s and Garry’s beautiful pictures.

Yikes!

Matt Buckley
01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Greg,
Very beautiful picture of the Basilica at Holy Hill. I have an aunt who is a religious sister who is a member of Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary who are based only a few miles away from Holy Hill in Waukesha. She is currently working for her order at there world headquarters in Vallender, Germany.

Garry L Gordon
01-08-2021, 03:58 PM
I love the way threads wander sometimes and the kinds of things I learn.

Phil Yearout
01-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Those photos make me want to go watch Dr. Zhivago. Julie Christie was smokin' hot, by the way...

Mike Koneski
01-08-2021, 09:36 PM
Why yes, yes she was!

Gary Carmichael Sr
01-14-2021, 02:36 PM
Do they run the cog rail train in the winter at Mt Washington? Gary

Dean Romig
01-14-2021, 03:04 PM
No they don't Gary. They shut it down right after foliage season.

Again, with 10X binoculars from grouse camp when there was no snow on the mountain, we have seen the tiny line of white puffs from the Cog engine slowly making it's way up the left side of Washington on a clear October day.

Garry L Gordon
02-18-2021, 12:09 PM
A strange thing happened today. The sky turned an odd and uncommon color -- deep blue -- and a bright orb appeared at the horizon early and climbed into the sky above. I thought it was always supposed to be cloudy based on the past days.:crying:

Another wonderful outcome of the light winds and cold temperatures greeted us this morning on every limb and weed.