PDA

View Full Version : Damascus Barrels

Jerry Andrews
01-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Who does a really nice job of restoring the pattern on damascus barrels? Thanks much, Jerry

Harry Collins
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I have had them done by Keith Kearcher, Dale Edmonds and Brad Bachelder. I was happiest with Dale and Brad's work and lean toward Brad. I have seen Craig Smith's (Circle Fly Wads) barrels in pictures and they looked wonderful. Travis Sims does a wonderful job as well.

Harry

Ted Huff
01-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I have had both Keith and Brad do barrels and have been delighted with both. I now prefer Brad only because I can drive to his shop, saving me the worry of shipping.

Mark Ouellette
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Jerry,

Brad Bachelder has restored 8 sets of Parker Grade 3, D, and G barrels, and also LC Smith Chain Damascus barrels for me. I have been very pleased with each. I am also going to have Brad restore the barrels of the E Grade that I bought from you. Those barrels are very good but Brad does such a good job that it will be worth the money for him to make them perfect!!!

I recently acquired a B Grade Lifter with very fine Damascus barrels. The barrels had been previously restored by another gunsmith. In my opinion, the barrel's dull grey with very little contrast detracted from the gun. I bought the gun only after discussing with Brad that he could bring out more contrast than the barrels currently have. When Brad tells me he can do a job I am confident that I will not be dissapointed.

That stated I have seen barrels redone by Craig Smith and some of the other smiths mentioned that looked great!

PS: Brad also re-case hardened/colored a Smith Grade 5 that looks amazing! If you come to any of the big shoots this year I will show it to you.

Respectfully,
Mark

Drew Hause
01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Please see http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_192fcpp4khn for examples and contact information

Eric Eis
01-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I have had Brad and Dale redo barrels and both have done a very good job.The problem with Keith Kearcher is that his barrels seem to always come out brown not B/W. Two barrels that he did I had redone by Brad and both came out with a very nice B/W pattern.
Eric

Russ Jackson
01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Morning Jerry , I have just recently sold this gun to a fellow member and hopefully he wouldn't mind me posting this Pic ..Brad Bachelder did this set for me and they turned out fantastic ! He also relaid the rib and made two new Ivory Beads for me ! Russ

Matt Hinton
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Beautiful!!! Now that is art I understand.

Jerry Andrews
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Wow, that's some good work! I'm a stockmaker, the steel aspect is fantastic but should be left to the experts or someone willing to put in enough time. I think I'll pick on Brad for the barrels on my A1. thanks so much for the posts, Jerry

Bill Murphy
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Jerry, when you're on this site and refer to an A1, please make it clear that you are referring to an A1 Grade L.C. Smith. Several of our members are getting in their cars and heading for West Virginia. By the way, I am planning on a trip to visit Craig and check on his backlog. I wonder if Craig monitors this website?

Jerry Andrews
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Yes, sorry, A1 L.C. Smith! Thanks much, Jerry