PDA

View Full Version : New to me Parker 12GA 1888?

Brett Waller
12-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Greetings, I'm a New Member from NE Florida. I just bought my first Parker Shotgun and I am trying to do some research on it. I collect Ruger Old Model Single Action revolvers and Mauser Rifles but I was so impressed by the fit and fine barrel of this Old Parker that I took a chance and purchased it. Now I am trying to do some research and was happy to find this group with a lot of info and active members. There is no grade stamp that I can find on the gun so I could use some help with I.D. I'd like to clean it up and use it. I will try to post some pics. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

bruce a lyons
12-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Book says 12 gauge, 30" barrels. Looks like the base grade. Maybe no. 1. Nice gun.

Dean Romig
12-07-2020, 01:49 PM
The Twist Steel barrels and the straight line engraving indicate to me a Grade 0.
The fact that it is checkered may indicate to some that it is a Grade 1... then there's the vine engraving around the barrel breeches so it very well could be a Grade 1.
Jury's still out on that one.

It's a nice one for your first dip into the Parker pool.

Mills Morrison
12-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Get the barrels checked out by a qualified gunsmith and, if safe, enjoy shooting it.

Brett Waller
12-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Get the barrels checked out by a qualified gunsmith and, if safe, enjoy shooting it.
Thanks for your concern. What would a gunsmith tell me exactly? I have done a pretty thorough visual inspection and I plan to use light load #8. I don't think a gunsmith is going to x-ray the barrels. Is there something in particular I should look for?

Eric Estes
12-09-2020, 08:10 PM
A smith with double gun experience would have the tools to measure barrel wall thickness and check for excessive pitting, or someone messing with the chambers, etc.. Some of these old guns have been through many hands and some have been overly honed or worse leaving them unsafe. Safety first.

Rick Roemer
12-09-2020, 10:14 PM
Off the shelf ammo, even light 8s are not manufactured the same in 2020 as they were in 1888...not even close. Barrel wall thickness needs measured, gunsmith checked out then RST shells for low pressure loads. Gun looks nice. Keep it that way by getting it checked out.