PDA

View Full Version : Another Parker Purchase-Advice needed

Mike Jones
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I just purchased my first Parker and love it. I already have my eye on another possible purchase but wanted to run it by you guys first. It is a GH with damascus barrels. The checkering on the wood is worn smoother than my DH and the top lever swings fairly loosely. However, the action locks up tight and barrels are smooth. The shop is asking $400. Could this be a gun worth fixing up or would I never get my money out of it?

Dean Romig
01-02-2011, 05:01 PM
The barrels will probably tell you if it is worth restoration. Barrel wall thickness and originality of length are the most important things to consider when planning to sink some money into an old SXS shotgun.

Bill Bates
01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
With a gun like that or any old shotgun you're buying barrels. If they are sound and ring like a bell, with no pits, no major dents, the wall thickness is okay then it might be a go. If it is on face with the fore end off then I would for it at that price with good barrels.

If there are issues with the barrels then there are better places to spend your $400.

Mike Jones
01-02-2011, 10:59 PM
There were no pits or dents and the barrels rang true when I tapped them. The only thing I could not check was the thickness.

Richard Flanders
01-03-2011, 01:28 AM
The lever 'swinging loosely' might indicate a spring problem there.

charlie cleveland
01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
you are not gonna find a parker much cheaper than 400.00 anywhere....ive seen very few sell for less and thats been a few years back i should say lotta years back.... charlie