PDA

View Full Version : Curious about this plate

Kerilynn Viccione
09-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone,
I have an unexpected new piece for my collection. Parkers seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately- much to my delight. Today I acquired what was described as an "entry level" Parker, which was very amusing to me when I heard it put that way. It's a 12 gauge, Vulcan Steel, Grade 0, 1904.
It definitely doesn't have any frills, but it's endearing none-the-less. However, there are a couple of things that I've not seen before and I've no doubt that the knowledge base on this sight will know what's what about it. The buttplate is unfamiliar to me, and the marks on the lug are strange. It's a fun piece, if nothing else, for an entry level :)
Thank you in advance!

Harold Lee Pickens
09-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Never seen anything like that on the lug Kerilynn, and butt plate not a Parker plate, but reproduction plates are available. The rest of the gun looks to be in decent shape.

Kerilynn Viccione
09-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Thanks Harold!

Brian Dudley
09-23-2020, 10:46 PM
The plate is a common type of universal aftermarket plate that was available at one time. I have a bunch of them in my “junk” drawer. I think it may have been something that bishop offered.
I also do not think the buttstock is original to the gun.

The pin punch marks on the bottom of the barrel lug was some hacks attempt at tightening up the fit of the barrels in that area. I could show you some wowsa examples of this type of work. Also in the junk drawers.

Mike Poindexter
09-23-2020, 10:46 PM
The punch marks on the lug may be someones attempt to "peen" the sides of the lug out a few thousandths of an inch. Normally this is seen on the sides of the lug around the edge of the "hook" in an effort to take up slack resulting in an "off face" condition. I have never seen the sides of the lug peened like this, and the punch marks are farther apart than you would expect if expanding the width of the lug was the goal. Or, it could be something entirely different. Just a guess.

Harold Lee Pickens
09-23-2020, 11:00 PM
what is the barrel length? Does the butt plate have the widows peak--I would think not. I am sure others will way in

Kerilynn Viccione
09-23-2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Barrels are 28”. Stock seemed off but I don’t own any of this type so I wasn’t going to guess. Someone already told me that didn’t look original and given the state of the gun I believed that was more than an educated guess. This was given to me so I have no investment here, it’s just a fun piece for me. I’ll never be accused of not appreciating the gift of a Parker :)

MattHaney
09-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Looks like the butt-plate says "Herters" in the cartouche by the lower screw.

Mills Morrison
09-24-2020, 06:35 PM
You can't argue with the price. Looks halfway decent in any event and not something I'd be embarrassed to shoot

Kerilynn Viccione
09-24-2020, 09:02 PM
Thanks Mills- my thoughts exactly (except I don't shoot them, I'm ok with a 9mm but I that's pretty much where my skill set ends :)

Kerilynn Viccione
09-24-2020, 09:12 PM
The plate is a common type of universal aftermarket plate that was available at one time. I have a bunch of them in my “junk” drawer. I think it may have been something that bishop offered.
I also do not think the buttstock is original to the gun.

The pin punch marks on the bottom of the barrel lug was some hacks attempt at tightening up the fit of the barrels in that area. I could show you some wowsa examples of this type of work. Also in the junk drawers.

Thanks Brian,
That must be why I didn't recognize it, I don't have a "junk drawer" :) LOL Thanks for the info, I'm always amazed at some of the things that people attempt to do themselves to these guns. I'd admire the ingenuity if it didn't make me want to throw up at times ...

Victor Wasylyna
09-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Kerilynn:

Tell us what you do with all the Parker shotguns in your collection. Do you just admire them? Or do you shoot them? At clays? Birds?

-Victor

Kerilynn Viccione
09-25-2020, 06:32 PM
Hi Victor,

Thanks for the question-
I would say that I certainly admire them, but I also use them as a springboard for research. My favorite historical era is the Industrial Revolution- more so the second. When I start to research and learn about Parkers, I get sent on so many tangents that it's like a lifetime of learning that spans the globe. Then there are all the players involved. I find out about one person and then learn of their connection to so many other people and places and gun companies. I love the artistic aspects and the mastery of the crafts involved in developing, creating, and putting a personality to the different parts of the Parker guns. I also love to show, talk about, and teach about my guns and try to share the appreciation I have for them with others. That's the teacher in me that seizes on such moments :)

I am not proficient at shooting clays or anything else outside of a range to be honest (and I prefer an indoor one at that). I love to shoot my Kimbers, but I'd even hesitate to say I'm great with a 9mm. Decent enough I guess and hoping to get good enough for bragging rights. As for my Parkers, I know many of you love shooting them and I'm sure it's amazing to have that connection to the past in the most fundamental way; I tend to have an unhealthy reverence for them and am still looking for a display case worthy to keep them in. (Although they spend more time out of the cases than in anyway)

Kerilynn