PDA

View Full Version : My 85 year old friend has a Parker

Jeff klaverweiden
09-13-2020, 11:01 AM
My friend asked me to get some info and value on this Parker. It’ has sat in the corner of his home office for many years
Serial # 28015

Harry Collins
09-13-2020, 11:15 AM
It is an 1882 Grade 2 (G) with 30 " Damascus barrels. A professional cleaning would do wonders for this unmolested Parker. As it sits I would think $1,000 +-. And I don't think cleaning would affect the value. Unless of course the cleaning were done poorly it would detract from value. If it is a family gun of your friends the value is priceless to him.

Kindest, Harry

Mills Morrison
09-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Looks like a good honest gun. Like Harry said, a good cleaning would do wonders for it. Hope your friend keeps it or finds a family member who would appreciate it.

Jeff klaverweiden
09-13-2020, 11:56 AM
He will be happy to hear that. It will be left in the original condition. When it finds a new owner he can restore it. I like the craftsmanship on this one and it doesn’t look like it has been fiddled with
Thank you
Harry

Chris Robenalt
09-13-2020, 12:00 PM
If it were mine and I had no plan of shooting it, I'd leave as is. I like the "old stories" the patina can tell if one listens hard enough!

Chris

wayne goerres
09-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Without knowing the condition of the bores placing a value on your friends gun is pretty iffy.

Jack Huber
09-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Wayne is right, many of these old hammer guns have pitted bores. They were made and used during the days of black powder and corrosive primers. The mechanical condition of the gun matters too - there could be broken springs and other parts.

But externally the gun looks pretty good, I'm sure it could use a good cleaning but I would not spend money on a restoration other than replacing any worn or broken parts.