PDA

View Full Version : new member, and need advice on inherited VH

brucefalzarano
07-30-2020, 06:33 PM
My grandfather bought this Parker new, and owned it until he passed in 1964. My uncle got the Parker, and my father got his LC Smith. I inherited both guns a number of years ago, and basically just locked them in my safe for the past 30 years. I know, but raising kids takes a toll. I'm taking a look at the Parker finally and need some help. Overall, the gun looks and feels decent, except for the buttplate and the pinhole in the barrel. Locks up tight, and has most of the original finish and alot of blue.

Trying to decide what to do with the gun, and if it is salvageable. I've gotten alot of info/help off this site. Thank you all! I believe its a VH, 1 1/2, 12 ga with 30 inch barrels. I dont know how to tell chamber size or choke. I was told this was my grandfathers duck gun (LC smith with 26in the pheasant and rabbit gun) so I assume the chokes are full/full, but not sure how to validate that. Looks like it was made in 1924.

Here are some pics. Any help ID'iing, would be appreciated. Should I replace the buttplate, and is the barrel fixable? Or does this become a wall hanger? My kids are unlikely to ever shoot it, or want it. So perhaps I'll try to find a collector that would appreciate it. Is it a desirable gun for a collector?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Dean Romig
07-30-2020, 08:21 PM
Looks like a very decent VH. Please show us the “pin hole” if it’s in one of your pictures I don’t see it.

John Dallas
07-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Next to last picture, left barrel, in the gravers walk?

Dean Romig
07-30-2020, 08:44 PM
If that’s really a hole that (for whatever reason) goes all the way through, have it professionally microwelded and finished and enjoy shooting it.

Personally, if it were mine and the hole is no bigger inside the barrel than what we see on the outside, I wouldn’t really be concerned... but that’s just me - others would err on the side of caution. Odds are that your grandfather didn’t even notice it and just shot it and shot it and shot it.

brucefalzarano
07-30-2020, 11:51 PM
Here's a pic of the pin hole. Its about 3/4 of the way down the left barrel towards the muzzle. Also, is a number 1 buttplate correct for this gun, and should I replace it. Can I find an original. And how do I determine choke and chamber length? Thanks so much!

Dean Romig
07-31-2020, 06:44 AM
That hole can be repaired by the right gunsmith.

Chamber length is easy to measure even if you don’t have the proper tool to do so a machinist’s rule can do it with some difficulty... Take a 3”x5” file card and roll it evenly into a tube and insert it into the chamber. Mark it exactly at the breech when it meets some resistance. If you continue pushing it will enter the forcing cones so be very aware of when it first meets resistance. It should indicate somewhere between 2 1/2” to 2 5/8”. If the chambers are longer they may have been lengthened.

Gerald McPherson
07-31-2020, 09:12 AM
A no. 1 butt plate would be correct. An original can be found but may take some looking and will probably need a little fitting. Those reproductions are a little too small in my experience.

Daniel Carter
07-31-2020, 09:31 AM
Can anyone explain how that hole could happen? Has anyone experienced something like this before? It really makes me wonder how this would occur.

Dean Romig
07-31-2020, 10:34 AM
I've seen several old SXS shotguns who's barrels had been hit by bird shot and usually just dented. This one may be a more severe case of such an accident... or maybe not. But it's in a section of the tube that's only .030" thick...

Daniel Carter
07-31-2020, 10:48 AM
Blown up as much as i can, it looks to have a little denting but is irregular in shape. Possibly struck against a nail, barb wire? Does it go all the way into the barrel?

Joseph Sheerin
07-31-2020, 01:02 PM
I'd have professional repair/restore the barrels, then either have someone, or you can do yourself a modest restore of stock using timberluxe......

Family gun, I'd have no second thoughts on bringing it back.

Joseph Sheerin
07-31-2020, 01:05 PM
If I could not find a repro or original DHBP, I'd just do a nice red pad of some sort, hawkins, etc. Connecticut shotgun should have a few options available.

brucefalzarano
07-31-2020, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Taking a more detailed look at the pinhole, it seems there is a very small round indentation around it. Making me believe it may have been banged against something, but could have been hit by a pellet sometime in the past. There were no stories from my family about the hole. Its good to know it can be repaired. It is definitely not from corrosion, and it definitely goes all the way thru.

Any recommendations on a gunsmith to do the repair?
Any recommendations on a butt plate source? I've seen some repo's on ebay but figure its best to try and find an original #1.

Also, I did determine choke with a micrometer. Full choke on left barrel (.696) and improved modified on right barrel (.706). Is this an unusual configuration?

thanks again!

Dean Romig
07-31-2020, 09:16 PM
No it's not unusual but it doesn't give the exact constriction without knowing what the bore ID is beyond the choke taper. Nominal bore diameter of a 12 gauge is .729" but not all 12's share that nominal bore diameter.

Where are you? Let's see if we can find a good smith in your area...

brucefalzarano
07-31-2020, 09:22 PM
Hi Dean. I'm in the Sacramento CA area. Thanks.

Dean Romig
07-31-2020, 09:27 PM
That's perfect!!

Dave Fjelline is within a couple hours of you - he's in Lincoln. His work is excellent!

Give him a call at 916-521-1334

He's a great guy to talk with... but make sure you set aside some time to chat... he loves to chat.

brucefalzarano
07-31-2020, 09:46 PM
Wow, thats awesome. Thanks Dean. I'm actually in Roseville, which is the town right next to Lincoln. I will get in touch with him.

BTW I notice you are from Andover. My family is from Saugus MA. I grew up there, and my grandfathers house where this Parker lived for so many years still stands in Saugus!

Mills Morrison
07-31-2020, 10:04 PM
Dave does excellent work! Have him check over the gun and then enjoy it

Dean Romig
07-31-2020, 10:17 PM
I notice you are from Andover. My family is from Saugus MA. I grew up there, and my grandfathers house where this Parker lived for so many years still stands in Saugus!

Both of my wife's parents were from Saugus and knew each other in school.
Frank went off to war in the South Pacific and when he got home they were married in Saugus in '46 then bought a house in Danvers where I lived as a kid.
Kathy and I were married in '70 and have always stayed in Essex County.

Small world!