PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pittsburgh (new to me Trojan)

Matthew Hutchison
07-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone. New guy here. I've always been a huge fan of doubles and have built a small collection of lower-grade Foxes, LC Smiths and Ithacas over the last 20 years. My goal with all of the guns I collect (rifles included) is to find the best untouched examples to be had, regardless of grade. My rule is: Always buy, never sell. It's an addiction (I'm sure all can relate).

Well, I broke my rule about buying untouched guns over the weekend when I came across this Parker Trojan. The seller had no history on it what-so-ever. I bought it realizing that it has been redone (new stock as well?), but it was too pretty to pass up. I plan to use it as a shooter on fair-weather days and perhaps take a few cracks at some clay birds. The bores are bright and it locks up like I'd expect. Haven't measured bores yet but I assume mod/full.

Your site tells me it was birthed in 1927. I'm not in it too deeply. I paid $1500 for it and don't think I made out too badly. I'd be interested in your opinions...my feelings won't be hurt! I'm here to learn. Honest feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dean Romig
07-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Hello Matthew and welcome.

As you suspect, it is completely redone, including a replacement butt stock. That level of wood grain figure we would expect to see on a GH.

I don't think you got burned at that price as long as everything works as it should and the barrel wall thicknesses pass muster. And the screws don't look buggered, though they have obviously seen screwdrivers since 1927.

So, the big question...... what gauge is it? How long are he barrels?

I wouldn't be afraid at all about taking it out on a rainy or snowy day.

I've had a couple of re-cased Trojand and one of them is still in active service by my brother-in-law both for hunting as well as for clays shooting.

Matthew Hutchison
07-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Hi Dean. Yes, agreed completely redone and went in knowing that. The person I bought it from didn't try to position it as 'original' as they were clueless about the gun. And I should have mentioned 30 inch, 12 gauge. I appreciate the feedback and do plan to shoot it.