PDA

View Full Version : Rust blueing

Keith Doty
07-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Experience or opinions on rust blueing from Briley's in Houston? Got a set of barrels on one of my Parkers that I hunt with quite a bit, kinda looking on this as maintenance. Lots of sweaty hands, dog slober and dove feathers, love the little 16 ga. They're right here in town, my barrels don't disappear for weeks/months with the UPS guy.

Harry Collins
07-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Not the answer to your question, but to me your gun has character. It is used and well taken care of. A new Parker my father found under the Christmas Tree shows its age. The checkering is barely visible and the blueing is worn off the barrels near the breach. When you pass it along to your children they will know the wear was from your hands.

Keith Doty
07-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Yea, but Harry, this one was a bit of a jaded lady when I bought it! A VH 12ga. 1 1/2 frame 28" with surprisingly good case color left, somebody long ago cut the stock and installed a pad, probably held down a fence or two (dozen), dropped it in the bottom of the boat (couple of those dents you don't see but can just feel when you run a hand down the barrels), and lots of honest wear on the wood work. I'm short so the 13 1/2" pull is fine but this is an "all weather" hunter for me. As I said, I'm looking on this more as maintenance, not restoration. I figure there are many more years of bug spray, dog slobber, boat rash, etc. in the gun's future BEFORE my nephews ( I have no kids) put it away in their safes. I have little doubt that, even with my best efforts to take care of this gun, there will be plenty of character to illustrate the stories of hunting with Uncle Keith and my Smokey dog!
Funny thing about Parkers........with your eyes closed a VH points, swings, and shoots just like a gun with all the bling in the world.

Mark Ray
07-05-2020, 06:56 PM
I use brileys a lot, they will do a fine job.

Keith Doty
07-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Thanks Mark. I was hoping to hear from somebody local (what's 200 miles in Texas?) who had used them. I've used them a number of times for service on O/Us and had some choke work done there but blueing, especially rust blueing, is another story.

Mark Ray
07-05-2020, 09:34 PM
I am (or was ) in houston almost every week either on busines. Or CCA business...have always had good results from Briley.

Justin Julian
08-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Briley's is not about vintage gun. I would not recommend them for work on a Parker.

Harry Collins
08-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Some 35 years ago when it was a death sentence to shoot Damascus I sent a GH to Briley for 20 gauge tubes. I was well pleased with their knowledge and care of my benchmark Parker.

Keith Doty
08-03-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm curious, has the gentleman from Idaho had a bad experience with them? My experience with them has always been good as well as a number of acquaintances who are reasonably knowledgeable. I would think a quality rust blue job would vary very little from one good shop to the next.

Mark Ray
08-03-2020, 12:29 PM
I know at least three, VERY reputable double gun Smiths that send their bluing work to Brileys, in addition to honing work.

Keith Doty
08-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Finally got out to Briley's this AM for rust blueing. The lady that took my barrels in obviously knew more about the process than I and had ready answers to my questions. She indicated she understood these barrels weren't originally a mirror polish finish and were hand struck, assured me that, other than a small area with very, very minor pitting, they would look as they did the day they left Parker. I was concerned about this as I have seen guns reblued where overbuffing to get rid of rust pits resulted in an ugly blemish, far worse than minor pitting from honest rust! Promised I wouldn't have any of the "smearing" that comes from attempting to "buff out" actual rust pitting.
Felt good when I left, we're gonna see! Pics when I get them back.

Steven Groh
08-29-2020, 11:13 PM
Briley's is not about vintage gun. I would not recommend them for work on a Parker.

The last time I was in their gun room in Houston, they had one of the best selections of vintage doubles I had seen in a long while, including at least three Stephen Grant side lever side locks.

I have sent double guns there for barrel work (not choke tubes), and, with respect, no one has the machining capability that they do.

They also do superb gunsmithing.

I have had a tour of the whole operation in the back of the house, and it is impressive. They are a first class operation.

Keith Doty
09-27-2020, 01:08 PM
Got my barrels back from Briley's here in Houston. Mark Ray was correct, a very nice job, consistent and even, most all of the tiny flaws from years of service gone, absolutely no "buff" marks. Hard to photo even in indirect natural light. I'm quite pleased, they look great to me. 2nd surprise was got them back in just over 4 weeks.

Garth Gustafson
09-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Your gun looks great Keith. Just curious, is it customary for Brileys to drill a weep hole in the rib?

Harry Collins
09-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Beautiful!

Brian Dudley
09-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Overall looks very good. The surface prep and striking looks spot on for the grade of gun.
The only issues I see is the weep hole, which maybe it had it to start with, but if not, it should have been avoided. And the polishing off of the barrel flats is not correct. This area should be left black. Only the lugs themselves should be cleaned up. But maybe you dont care about such details.

Harry Collins
09-28-2020, 09:14 AM
God Damnit, Dudley! Do you have to shit on everyone?

Brian Dudley
09-28-2020, 10:06 AM

What? I understand why you ask. I refrained from mentioning anything when I saw it yesterday, but then someone else asked about the weep hole.

I do not by any means consider it as crapping on people just for the sake of it. But more of educating about the details of what makes a Parker. I am sorry you see it that way. Did I not also mention the strong points of the work and that the barrels did look good???

I think I will simply keep quiet from now on.

Keith Doty
09-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Garth, I asked about the weep hole and was told this insured there wasn't any residual moisture between the ribs and barrels to set up rust later. If the solder seal is 100% perfect when barrels were assembled and had remained so this would never happen but evidently it's not always so. I have seen a number of reblued Parker barrels where this was done.
As to the barrel flats, this gun, which I believe to have been all original, was that way when I purchased it. I have seen this before on what I believed to be original barrels, but I could be wrong, not an expert. I have some that the fore end lug is polished off on the bottom surface as well. It is my belief that the instant you reblue, refinish, or in any other way change the gun it is no longer original. My interest in the gun is as a hunter/shooter who loves the quality and feel of the Parker, hand craftsmanship from a bygone era. To me the only thing better than a fine vintage gun in the field is a box full of puppies!

David Holes
09-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Great job with the pictures and thank you for sharing

Tom Flanigan
09-29-2020, 10:29 AM

From my perspective, I like Brian's enlightened comments. He by no means shit on the gun, just gave his perspective. And he certainly know what its all about. His comment about the prep being in line with the grade of the gun proves it. I've seen too many reblued lower end guns that were polished much finer than Parker did. A real craftsman knows what the barrels originally looked like by grade and preps accordingly. Apparently Briley knows their stuff. Nice job.

In my opinion, drilling a weep hole is not necessary. If a rib is leaking, you will see it in the boiling steps with tiny bubbles along the rib.

Mark Ray
09-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Maybe the rib did have a really tiny leak. not unheard of at all

Keith Doty
09-29-2020, 01:34 PM
I certainly took no offense at Brian's comments. I respect and value his opinion on the subject. His depth of knowledge on the subject as well as that of others here far exceeds mine. If I were "sensitive" to critique this is NOT a forum I'd frequent (we do tend to be an opinionated bunch). I posted the photos for all to look at and all honest opinions are equally welcome.

Reggie Bishop
09-29-2020, 02:22 PM
They do look great and I also value Brian's comments on this forum!

Harry Collins
09-29-2020, 05:21 PM
The Dutches of Windsor said, "Don't complain and don't explain." I screwed up on the first part. So I might as well go all the way. I too enjoy Brian's depth of knowledge and expertise. His comments I generally take as spot on. I took exception to "But maybe you don't care about such details." It sounded uppity and snide to this Southern boy.

Tom Flanigan
09-29-2020, 05:47 PM
The Dutches of Windsor said, "Don't complain and don't explain." I screwed up on the first part. So I might as well go all the way. I too enjoy Brian's depth of knowledge and expertise. His comments I generally take as spot on. I took exception to "But maybe you don't care about such details." It sounded uppity and snide to this Southern boy.

Ahhh.....that explains your comment. I can see how someone could get the wrong idea from Brian's post.

Actually, most people don't care about the small details. If the barrels look good they are satisified, and rightfully so. But there are those out there who wan't their guns exactly the way they left the factory. I'm one of those and pay close attention to color (I average around 5 iterations of rust, boil, card). But it could be more or less. I examine my barrels under a strong light beside un-oiled (I degrease them beforhand) original high condition barrels and stop when the color is right.

My opinion on weep holes is that they can let in moisture over time. If the rib is leaking badly then that needs to be addressed. If its just a tiny bubble leak, I use a tiny dab of black glass bedding compound and let it sit for 24 hours before proceeding. It works well and does seal the rib, being impervious to the boiling water.

edgarspencer
09-29-2020, 06:00 PM
The drilled hole wouldn't keep me from buying a gun, and if there was any concern of moisture beneath the rib, I suppose there is a school of thought that prefers to vent it. I have a gun which had been rust blued, and a weep hole was drilled, and subsequently plugged with a piece of lead shot. I'm certain is wasn't an attempt to hide the hole, but close up a way for moisture to get back in.
From an 'originality' perspective, I understand the objection. However, there have been some pretty good photos of the huge amount of rust that can quietly eat away inside there.

I saw no issue with Brian's remarks. He has a way with words that might upset the refined sensibilities, but, frankly, I like a person who doesn't dance around with words. I thinks that's what my mother called passive aggression.

Keith Doty
09-29-2020, 06:05 PM
Edgar, the piece of shot is a fine idea. That WILL seal the area.

Dean Romig
09-29-2020, 07:52 PM
Just my opinion but, if you're only drilling to let air and steam/moisture out, why do these "weep holes" need to be so large?... why not drill a less obtrusive hole like say 1/32" or something that would be easier to plug or disguise?

Personally, I'd rather disguise the fact that a weep hole had been drilled when in fact, Parker Bros. never had a need to drill a hole at all and the same can be said for some barrel refinishers like Brad Bachelder when he graced us with his knowledge and presence.

allen newell
09-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Thank you for sharing as well.

Steven Groh
09-29-2020, 08:34 PM
On the subject of rust bluing, I just got a set of barrels back from a gunsmith, and one of the chambers is covered in a rough residue, While the other is polished smooth as it should be. Perhaps one of our resident gunsmiths could comment on what that residue is likely to be and how someone like myself might be able to remove it.

And I checked as soon as I read the post about the barrel flats. He left mine blued.

keavin nelson
09-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Only cleaned one chamber/barrel? If nothing else I would call him and let him know.
Steel wool on a cleaning rod, with a little oil, spun with a variable speed drill, slowly will likely do the trick, but won't be as bright as the one properly cleaned. The entire barrel likely needs the cleaning. This is normal for rust bluing, even if you plug bores, which I do.

Dean Romig
09-30-2020, 09:30 AM
Or a Frontier pad.

Steven Groh
09-30-2020, 10:58 AM
This? (https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/)

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/Images/index_7.jpg

Looks good. Ordered one. Thanks.

Dean Romig
09-30-2020, 01:14 PM
Yes, that's it. It will not harm bluing, case color (except that stained color on Repros) and it will not harm composite barrel finish (but will harm the finish put over refinished composite barrels).

Edgar says you can use stainless steel scrub pads made for pots and pans... I've never tried that, but he says it's the same stuff...

Daniel Carter
09-30-2020, 02:05 PM
I have found that once again Edgar is correct. Same material, same result.

edgarspencer
09-30-2020, 04:06 PM
I have found that once again Edgar is correct. Same material, same result.

Well, not entirely the same. They are $2.98 for a 3 pack from Amazon, and $6.00 each from Big 45, but I think they were even higher than that a while back.

Daniel Carter
09-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Well, not entirely the same. They are $2.98 for a 3 pack from Amazon, and $6.00 each from Big 45, but I think they were even higher than that a while back.

Edgar have you considered a job as an editor?

Steven Groh
09-30-2020, 04:36 PM

NOW you tell me. :banghead:

edgarspencer
09-30-2020, 05:01 PM
Edgar have you considered a job as an editor?

No, other than to occasionally pick on Dean, the only other periodical I ever studied in depth was Playboy.

Gary Carmichael Sr
10-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Now the truth comes out! No wonder I was sent a photo of double "Ds" rather than the double triggers I thought was getting, Gary