PDA

View Full Version : Meriden, CT "thedirtyden"

Matthew Nadile
06-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Hi guys
First off this site has been very informational. So thanks. Im born and raised in meriden, Ct. and i inherited a parker trojan from my great grandfather. Probably hasnt been fired in 60 Plus years, curious as to what type of rounds i should use. Its a 28" trojan 12 gauge

edgarspencer
06-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Matt, your gun is a VH grade, one up from a Trojan. You can shoot many light loads, and the one most popular for guys starting out with a new old gun, are the RST lights.
My dad was born in Meriden, as was my Grandfather. My grandfather worked at the Parker iron foundry, eventually becoming the manager.

Joe Dreisch
06-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Hello Matthew, welcome. The pictures you have posted appear to be a VH grade gun. Does the inscription on the barrel rib say, "Vulcan Steel"?

Matthew Nadile
06-08-2020, 07:29 PM
My Great grandfather started james f. nadile plumbing and heating, idk if that rings a bell. Yes the barrel does say vulcan steel

Matthew Nadile
06-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much for the input guys. Ive had it for a couple years never knowing what it really was or its value

Garry L Gordon
06-09-2020, 05:32 AM
Thanks so much for the input guys. Ive had it for a couple years never knowing what it really was or its value

Family Parker passed down to you -- priceless(!)

Harry Collins
06-09-2020, 06:36 AM
Mathew,

As Gary said, priceless. I have my fathers Parker and it shows similar wear if not more. It was a Christmas present brand new in the box. All that wear was from his hands and I would never consider doing anything to the gun to "pretty it up." I hope you feel the same about your great grandfathers Parker as its wear is from father to son for four generations. Many here have family Parkers and many more wish they did. I shoot anything off the shelf that is 1oz at 1180 feet per second or less. Easy on the old wood and easy on you.

Kindest, Harry

Joseph Sheerin
06-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Looks like there is a pin above the wrist of the stock, before shooting it I'd have a gunsmith check it all out.

As other have said, it's a VH, and given it was your Grandfather's, it's priceless as others have stated.

Gerald McPherson
06-17-2020, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the site,is that a crack on the wrist? If so you may want to get that repaired before you begin shooting it.

Dean Romig
06-17-2020, 05:42 PM
The wood around the pin in the stock head looks to be oil-soaked and starting to deteriorate.
Have that area de-oiled and acraglassed or epoxied and reinstall the original pin.