PDA

View Full Version : New member new gun

Troy Means
02-09-2020, 06:43 PM
My dad has handed down my grandfather’s Parker to me and I couldn’t be more thrilled. I had always listened to my grandfather speak with so much pride and joy about his Parker. Not until my dad placed it in my hands did I understand the beauty of my grandfather’s Parker. It truly is an heirloom that will stay with me and be passed down again. But under my watch I want to try to learn everything I could about Parker’s and particularly this gun. Unfortunately, the serial number 221799 is not listed in the Parker records. So, I am looking for any other info, input, etc that you all might have. I am honored to be a part of this community and have really enjoyed reading the forums.

Mike McKinney
02-09-2020, 06:46 PM
We hope you enjoy your experiences in our organization. Thanks for opting to be here.

Dean Romig
02-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Hello Troy and welcome to the PGCA.

Your grandfather must have been really proud of that Parker!

You will need to know right from the start that it has been upgraded, most likely having left the Parker Brothers factory as a VH or Grade 0. The border engraving on the side panels are done to represent the borders of a CH or Grade 4 but so many other things about the gun defy categorization as any particular grade.
The wood and the checkering patterns are that of a VH.
The engraving on all of the metal parts is tastefully done and is somebody's idea of what a really fine Parker upgrade should look like.
The barrels look like they may have been shortened...
The screws on the floor plate are probably in the wrong holes as they will only line up properly if in the holes they were originally fitted to.

All in all, you can be proud of your grandfather's Parker - it sure is a beauty!... and I hope you shoot the daylights out of it and hunt with it too and make some of your own memories with it.

Troy Means
02-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Thank you for the info and thoughts Dean. I appreciate it.

Steve Huffman
02-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Troy, Has the grade been changed on the water table of the frame ?

Troy Means
02-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Here is the photo of it.

Steve Huffman
02-09-2020, 08:03 PM
As Dean said It started life as a VH and is a upgrade ,

Joe Dreisch
02-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Is this a 12 gauge gun?

Troy Means
02-10-2020, 12:58 AM
It is a 20

Brian Dudley
02-10-2020, 09:59 AM
The upgrade term here is used loosely. "Upgrade" would mean it was intended to emulate an actual higher factory grade. This does not. It would be defined as a "Custom" gun as the embellishment added to it are not in line with actual factory grade offerings.

It appears to still have its original buttstock. The forend would be up for debate at this point as not enough of it is visible to try and authenticate it. And that block of serial numbers is not in the book.

It is an attractive gun and the engraving/inlay work looks to be very well done. I could imagine this gun with proper metal finishes and a restock befitting of the work already done.

Randy G Roberts
02-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Troy what length are the barrels ?

Troy Means
02-10-2020, 11:42 AM
They measure 26

Joe Dreisch
02-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Over these past few years we have been treated to pictures posted of custom Parkers which were commissioned to honor excellent bird dogs as well as other things regarded special to the person who directed the work. These guns provide windows into the minds of their owners very personal priorities. Yours is a very special heirloom. Thank you for sharing it.

Dean Romig
02-10-2020, 02:00 PM
The upgrade term here is used loosely. "Upgrade" would mean it was intended to emulate an actual higher factory grade.

IMO a better term for those would be "counterfeit." :whistle:

Brian Dudley
02-10-2020, 04:08 PM
IMO a better term for those would be "counterfeit." :whistle:

There is a big difference between Upgrading and Counterfeiting.
And the be-all end-all when it comes down to it is intent.

Dean Romig
02-10-2020, 04:17 PM
There is a big difference between Upgrading and Counterfeiting.
And the be-all end-all when it comes down to it is intent.

I couldn't agree more - "intent".

Just to be clear, the subject gun was never intended to be a replication of anything Parker Brothers ever produced.

Troy Means
02-10-2020, 04:33 PM
nice to know I have a gun that is so controversial... LOL. Sounds like I won't run into many others like it.

Dean Romig
02-10-2020, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry Troy. If it sounds like your gun is the subject of controversy we sure didn't intend it to appear that way... what you see here is just a discussion of terms. Your Parker is everything the owner wanted it to be - a very well done execution of a man's fancy.

Harold Lee Pickens
02-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Troy, welcome to the PGCA, and what a special gun. As you stated, your grandfather had such pride and joy in that gun, and you should too. A great inheritance! I have my grandfather's Win 1885 single shot in 22long--they kept it in the dairy barn to shoot vermin, and I wouldn't part with it. Being a 20 ga makes it even nicer. Shoot it with pride, and hope you become active on the forum.