PDA

View Full Version : Re-doing barrels on GH.

Keith E Hickam
01-22-2020, 10:04 AM
I have an old GH damascus barrelled gun that i need re-done the rib is separating from the barrels it is 1 1/2 frame with 2 weight barrel.

Dean Romig
01-22-2020, 11:13 AM
What are "2 weight" barrels and how did you come up with that term regarding Parker shotguns?

keavin nelson
01-22-2020, 11:51 AM
I would imagine that is the frame number on the lug, a 2 frame. The barrel weight is on the barrel flats, found with a larger number and then the ounces in subscript (smaller).

Dean Romig
01-22-2020, 11:55 AM
So it's a 1 1/2 frame with 2 frame barrels? If the 2 stamp is on the barrel lug I wonder where the OP gets the impression the gun is a 1 1/2 ?

Certainly not from the firing pin spacing because both the 1 frame and the 1 1/2 frame use 1 1/8" spacing....

keavin nelson
01-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Picture would solve it all!

Dean Romig
01-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Yup, a clear picture of the barrel flats and the lug where all the stampings are shown.

Harold Lee Pickens
01-22-2020, 01:00 PM
How much of the rib, and where is the separation?

Keith E Hickam
01-22-2020, 02:39 PM
3 12 on barrels 1 1/2 0n lugs. 3 is big number 12 is smaller number.

Dean Romig
01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Thanks Keith - that answers all questions.

So the gun is a 1 1/2 frame and the pre-struck weight of the barrels is 3 lbs., 12 oz.

Keith E Hickam
01-22-2020, 04:14 PM
How much of the rib, and where is the separation?

Just ar the muzzle, but may have a gunsnith re lay the ribs and re brown

Harold Lee Pickens
01-22-2020, 10:13 PM
I have had 2 guns, one a Parker that had a rib separation at the muzzle, both 1 1/2" or less.
On the Parker, a decent gun, but just a shooter VH, I was able to get the rib soldered back in place without removal. This did discolor/distort the bluing in that area. I just used a wipe on bluing compound and blended in the area, and over the years has held and looks fine--don't know about Damascus barrels.
. Again, not a high grade, high condition gun--I didn't want a $1000 fix on a $1200 gun.
I got this advice from another PGCA member on another gun. Not a Parker. Top rib loose about an inch. First clean/degrease area--I used carb cleaner.
I used Red Loctite on the rib/barrel interface. Cleared all the excess Loctite out with cotton swab and tooth picks.
A dowel rod with a hole drilled in it to go over the bead was clamped over the rib with rubber jawed clamps for 2 days. H ave had no problems since.
Now, I expect I'll get some "crap' over this fix, and I would not advise it on a high grade gun--Brian, please avert your eyes. But, if the fix for your gun is more or less the worth of the gun, well it's up to you. Don't think you would be able to do this if you wanted to re-brown your Damascus barrels.
I would imagine the cost of rebrowning Damascus and relaying ribs to be $1000, maybe more. Tube of red Loctite, $8.00

charlie cleveland
01-27-2020, 07:58 PM
i have got to remember this locktite fix.....charlie

Richard Flanders
01-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Loctite is just super glue and is heat sensitive. You shoot the gun a few times and that loctite will soften up and not hold much of anything for very long.

Bill Jacobs
01-28-2020, 04:19 PM
For what it's worth, Loctite says that to remove Red Loctite one must heat the part to 500 F for two minutes. That particular threadlocker is used to anchor the barrel on single action revolvers when you must make a windage adjustment on a fixed sight gun. I can't comment on how well it will hold on a rib.

Bill Jacobs

Harold Lee Pickens
01-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Thanks Bill, you got to that before I did. I don't think you could shoot gun barrels that hot and still hold onto the gun. The guy at the automotive store told me that it is used to hold replacement liners on engine cylinders.

Phillip Carr
01-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Years ago one of the guys at work had a Charles Daly If I recall correctly with a loose rib. We cleaned well with MEK and used 3M 2216 epoxy. Clamped it down and cleaned off the excess. He shot the heck out of that gun on dove and it never loosened.
2216 is incredible but it is very expensive. The upside is great shear strength, withstands vibration and holds up and stays flexible and adheres over extreme temperature ranges.
Developed for the aerospace industry. We used it to hold Boundary Layer Energizers to the top of Learjet wings. When properly prepped before installation the BLE’s would hold on for thousands of hours of use in wide variety of operating conditions.
I Googled and found a 1 OZ tube on Amazon for under $20.
Just another idea to research for a possible solution.

Dean Romig
01-29-2020, 07:59 AM
$20 sure beats having the ribs re-layed...(laid?)

Phillip Carr
01-29-2020, 10:19 AM
Thanks to Google I think it is Re-laid.

Russell E. Cleary
02-01-2020, 07:36 AM
Dean:

A couple of sources I found say "layed" appears centuries ago; so if archaic, it's probably best sticking with the modern spelling, even for vintage gun "practical eccentrics".

It reminds me of fly "tyer" vs. "tier", the latter supposedly being a rarer but legitimate spelling variant.

Phil C.

Thanks for that info. about 3M 2216.

There are a lot of "strong" epoxies on the market; but if they have the property of flexibility, that makes all the difference.

Dean Romig
02-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Re: fly tyer/tier, the magazine “Fly Tyer” magazine is still in existence and I do prefer the archaic spelling where appropriate, or even not appropriate... so layed is okay with me.

Buddy Harrison
03-03-2020, 10:36 AM
"Fly Tyer" is a top tier magazine.

George Lang
03-03-2020, 11:28 AM
About 10 years ago I super glued the last 1 1/2" of rib on a 16 ga Fox and it has held up. Gun is a hunter so not shot as much as a clays gun. Can't remember the type or brand of glue but it worked and continues to do so.