PDA

View Full Version : Lefever Restoration

George Davis
01-06-2020, 08:39 AM
In October 2018 a dear friend the "Legend" shared with me he wished his son could bird hunt with him using a side X side instead of a tube-a-matic. Clint (son) shoots left handed. Previously I had owned a left handed Lefever which been converted from a right hand gun. So the hunt begin for a 12 gauge Lefever which could be redone. The following gunsmiths worked on the Lefever H Grade:

Parker Bachelder: refinished the barrels
Stephan Waltz: trigger conversion
Jerry Andrews: casehardening
Brit Hall: bent the stock for left handed shooter
Chris Robenalt: recoil pad, checkering and polished out the stock

The Lefever was given to Clint at his dad's birthday party in October and he successfully hunted Pheasant and Sharptail. Gun was not completely finished as the casehardening had to be done and recoil pad added to achieve the appropriate length of pull.

I believe the gun is stunning and hopefully Clint will hunt for years with his dad and the with his sons with the gun.

PS: Total cost of purchasing the Lefever and all the restoration work was
$ 2,200.00

Mills Morrison
01-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Looks really good!

Larry Stauch
01-06-2020, 09:40 AM
And take a look at the workmanship on this restoration!
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/lefever-shotguns/lefever-arms-side-by-side-12-ga-.cfm?gun_id=101359765

Chris Robenalt
01-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the post Scott, and the credit! I can appreciate this Lefever cause as I mentioned yesterday I watched her turn into this beautiful butterfly! Yesterday was was a little puzzling, right down to that darn snap cap, but we figured it out and now she's together and on the way to her final destination in Montana! !

charlie cleveland
01-07-2020, 04:35 PM
this is a sharp looking little gun and that was a pretty cheap gun for all that work...she should last the owner a long time...charlie

Mike Koneski
01-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Very nice! Gotta love Lefever guns. Uncle Dan was a mechanical genius, bad businessman, but great designer.

Brian Dudley
01-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I take it by trigger conversion you mean flip flopping the triggers. I see you have the front trigger firing left. Was that a decision based on choking?

Chris Robenalt
01-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Yes Brian, I flipped the triggers back so left is the front trigger, easy fix. I measured choke in both barrels. I remember telling Scott the left barrel was more open than the right. By the way, I'm the guy that won that Sterly 20 forend off ebay. I fit a set of 16 barrels to my 20. The original forend was a tad loose. That forend was an answer to prayer! Now I'll have the perfect little 2 barrel set.
I really like your work you did upgrading that little reproduction Parker!