PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Ithaca Flues NIG

Rino Grassa
11-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Hello everyone, been a Learner /looker here for a while....love the Parker Forum, I came across this beautiful little Ithaca 20ga this past Spring, I have (i think) narrowed down the year of MFR to 1914 but all else is speculation and to what little info I have found on the Internet, I have no idea how to post Pictures here so if someone wants me to Email them I would very much appreciate that, so a little info about the Ithaca, its a 20ga SxS Hammerless, 1-1/2Gr, it has the "Roll Stamped" Setter on the sides with a little extra Border engraving, it also has Gold washed triggers, it has the Krupp Steel Barrels, this gun appears to be in all original condition, Barrel length is 25-1/2" (yes, they are un-cut) and here is the other mysterious thing, Chokes are marked on the Barrel flats and they are as follows- 1/4 (left Barrel) thats right I said Left Barrel and 2/4 Right Barrel....Im guessing this gun was ordered with all these little treatments (Gold triggers and the more open choke on the left Barrel)...I have read that they offered whats called "Upland Specials".....it is a Gem to carry and shoot, as she only weighs 5-1/4lbs, any help or more info would be greatly appreciated and like I said, I can Email pics to someone so you can o post them here. Thanks in advance.
Rino

Dave Noreen
11-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Originally the Ithaca Flues No. 1 1/2 had the roll-stamped dog of the Field Grade, the No. 1 and the No. 1 Special, with the addition of the zig-zag border engraving and came with Damascus Barrels.

In mid-1915, they went to the bold floral engraving and began offering the option of Krupp Steel barrels --

During that 1914-15 transition I have seen all manner of combinations of engraving on various bits of the guns, but gold washed triggers is a new one. In that era Ithaca barrel lengths were "about." I have a No. 1 Special 28-gauge of that era that has 30 3/16 inch barrels. Lettered from Walter Snyder back when he still had the records as 30-inch though Ithaca never cataloged 28-gauge barrels that long.

Rino Grassa
11-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your reply, ya this one has me a little miffed, serial no starts at 2426xx, info I have found online puts at 1914 mfr, it has the Krupp steel barrels and the Gold washed triggers found on the higher grades, all no's match. Very interesting Ithaca

Brian Dudley
11-09-2019, 01:58 PM
FYI,

The Flues and the NIG (New Ithaca Gun) are two completely different models.

Rino Grassa
11-09-2019, 02:12 PM
You are correct Brian...thanks , the Ithaca Serial number check online clearly states Flues "and" NIG.....I automatically thought this was called a Flues as well.....see, learned something again.

Dave Noreen
11-09-2019, 08:50 PM
The NIG (New Ithaca Gun) was a hammer gun. The NIG was made concurrently with and serial numbered right along with the Crass, Lewis, Minier and early Flues Model hammerless guns.

Rino Grassa
11-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Ahh, Dave so the Model I have is a Flues? (early)

Dave Noreen
11-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Yes.

Rino Grassa
11-12-2019, 08:47 AM
I figured out how to post attachments....this gun also has the 3 way safety which by the way works flawlessly.

Reggie Bishop
11-13-2019, 08:04 AM
Nice Ithaca Flues 20!

Rino Grassa
11-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Thanks Reggie, this one seems to be a little rare Gem....the Krupp steel Barrels, the Gold washed triggers, the Barrel choke configuration....would this be one of those ones put together personally by or for an Employee of the Factory? I dont know much about Ithaca's other than the very little info found online, I know Walt Snyder wrote a book but cant seem to locate one here in Canada. Love to know more about it if anyone has any insight

Garry L Gordon
11-13-2019, 10:07 AM
I have an early 1 1/2 grade 12 gauge, and it also has gold washed triggers. I don't recall seeing the choke markings on my Ithacas with the slash but rather they just have one number for each barrel's choke designation. I'm curious how you know the barrels, at that odd length, are uncut. I'm also curious to see what those more knowledgeable than I (almost everyone!) have to say about the choke markings. I know the English designated chokes fractionally, but, again, I've not encountered this on my Ithacas. Live and learn.

A very nice little gun, BTW. Ithaca could make guns very light and nicely balanced.

Mark Ray
11-13-2019, 12:37 PM
VERY nice early Flues gun. I am partial to small bore Ithaca's. One caution, particularly as this gun has fluid steel barrels. Due to the obviously thin breech faces on these small bore Ithaca's,, it is not the barrels that usually fail due to excess pressure, it is the breach face itself. Do not be tempted to shoot anything other than low pressure ammo in that gun.

Otherwise, if you get bored with it, or cant shoot it, ILL take it!!

Rino Grassa
11-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Thanks....yes although it has 2-3/4 chambers, I know well enough to give it a low pressure Diet....had her out a few weeks ago for Woodcock and Grouse, RST #10 "Woodcock" loads , the Ultimate shell for WC. This is the first WC with the little Ithaca....as for knowing the Barrels are un-cut? The chokes measure up as indicated and the Barrels touch at the ends...all verified by Chris Dawe my Gunsmith

Nick de Guerre
11-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Sweet little gun in great condition. You should definitely buy Walt's book...it's available on the internet. Get the 2nd edition, as he added about another 1/3 of material after the first edition.

My favorite low power (and low price!) load is the Fiocchi "trainer" shells. Likely not available locally in Canuck-ville, but definitely online. Not sure what the 20 spec is, but in 12's they are 7/8 oz, and about 6,500 psi.

NDG

Phil Yearout
11-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Very pretty little gun!

allen newell
11-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Try Target Sports on line for your ammo. They ship free and stock a wide variety of loads.