PDA

View Full Version : Congswell and Harrison

Joe Graziano
11-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Great first upland hunt of the year, and first with my 1886 Cogswell and Harrison. It’s the original Victor model on the Scott and Baker patent, 16 ga., 28 in. sleeved barrels, choked M/F, straight stock. Light enough to carry all day, comfortable round frame, hit like a hammer with RST 7/8 oz, #6 shot. Couldn’t ask for more in a game gun. After 133 years, still taking birds. Even better, I was hunting with my father and my first battalion commander when I was a young private, a close family friend. Hunt was at M&M preserve in NJ. Grass was very tall and very thick. Sounds strange, but it was the most difficult preserve hunt I’ve had, which was fantastic. Dogs worked hard and did a great job. Then, a really nice time shooting clays with the Model 32. And after the hunt, a delicious meal!

John Campbell
11-04-2019, 08:06 AM
That's a fine Coggie indeed. And 7/8 oz. of No. 6 is all you need if your shot is true. Please keep an eye out for my upcoming Double Gun Journal feature on Cogswell & Harrison.

Joe Graziano
11-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Thanks, John. It’s my first Coggie and I’m really impressed with the quality of their early guns. I will certainly keep my eye out for your article.

Garry L Gordon
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
I love the lock plate shape on those models. Nice photos! Thanks for posting.