PDA

View Full Version : Leather Pad E.J.Churchill

Jim Thoma
09-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Who do you guys recommend to put a leather covered pad on a E.J. Churchill, but I would like it to be 1/2 inch long is that possible? Also don't want to tie up the gun for months thanks Jim

Rich Anderson
09-09-2019, 02:49 PM
If you use a competent smith to do the work these things don't happen overnight. By the time you send it out and get it back it will in all likely hood be several months.

Jim Thoma
09-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Couple of months no problem I had a leather pad put on by a known Gunsmith and it took a year to get it back.

John Campbell
09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
You're in NJ. Why not take it to G&H? Or try New England Custom Gun in NH. Either one will do a first rate job. One that old E. J. Churchill would approve of.

You can also consider David Trevallion. But he may be a bit backlogged, and take a bit longer than you might wish to do the job. His work is fantastic.

edgarspencer
09-09-2019, 07:01 PM
I had a leather pad put on by a known Gunsmith and it took a year to get it back.

I can't wrap my head around a lead time like that on a job that takes 3-4 hours total time.
I dropped off a great little French 28ga. sidelock with Walter, at (the old) Safari, and picked it up the following week. That's because I only went there on Thursdays.

Brian Dudley
09-09-2019, 07:10 PM
A proper leather covered pad takes more than 3-4 consecutive hours (one day) to complete. Maybe 3-4 hours TOTAL time, spread out over several days or more.

edgarspencer
09-09-2019, 08:33 PM
A proper leather covered pad takes more than 3-4 consecutive hours (one day) to complete. Maybe 3-4 hours TOTAL time, spread out over several days or more.

Precisely what I meant. In fact some steps only allow 20- 30 minutes. Thin material, like pig skin dries more quickly and you can get a bit accomplished in a single day,