PDA

View Full Version : Harrington Richardson high grade SxS 1880's Worcester MA

Ronald Scott
06-29-2019, 09:00 AM
I'm trying to get information on a nice A Grade H&R SxS that I inherited from my Great Grandfather. From what I can determine all factory records are gone or least no one seems to know where I can find them. I showed the gun to Steve Cobb and Steve Barnett at the Southern. They both were unable to provide any information except that it's a nice English shotgun. I was hoping maybe someone on the forum might know something that would help me in my research. SN 1941 Anson and Deeley lock -- barrels probably imported from Westly Richards

Rick Losey
06-29-2019, 09:27 AM
what a great gun

they were made by H&R under license from Westley Richards

search for the two names together and you will find several references to the collaboration

"Also, Westley Richards licensed Harrington and Richardson in the U.S. as sole maker of the Anson and Deeley patent in the U.S. I have one of each grade of these guns and, quality wise, one cannot tell them from English produced guns. : from http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2018/05/29/westley-richards-or-not/

on this board
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22526&highlight=harrington

other quick finds

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=382425&Searchpage=2&Main=33088&Words=harrington&Search=true#Post382425

and a reference to a Double Gun Journal article here http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=111486&Searchpage=6&Main=10090&Words=harrington&Search=true#Post111486

Garth Gustafson
06-29-2019, 09:54 AM
I seem to remember Brad Bachelder wrote an excellent story about H&R doubles in the DGJ a few years back.

John Campbell
06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Mr. Scott:
Your gun appears to be an A Grade H&R, or the finest they offered (similar pic attached from collection of H&R past president). Your's is in exceptional condition and is one of the VERY few guns of this grade ever made. It is RARE!

These guns were made on the 2nd Floor of H&R's plant by workmen who were either brought over from the UK and/or trained by UK craftsmen. The guns were produced under the personal guidance of William and Edwin Anson.

The basic bits for early guns may well have been shipped over from Birmingham. Especially the frames. H&R was the SOLE licensee of the A&D action in the US. And their license prevented Parker from gaining a similar license... so Parker made it's own unique hammerless double.

The full story of these guns, including photos of guns like yours (plus Bachelder's), will appear in my upcoming book, Birth of The Boxlock. The Untold Story of Anson & Deeley. Out soon from Mowbray Publishers.
gunandswordcollector.com

Jack Damon
06-29-2019, 12:09 PM
What a magnificent and gorgeous gun. You are VERY fortunate to own it.

Brian Dudley
06-29-2019, 01:15 PM
That is a fantastic gun!
Looks like you had the gun at the NE. It would have been nice to meet you and see the gun.

I think that the H&Rs were also graded as dollar grades too. The $300 would be the highest I believe.

Dean Romig
06-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Ron, that is a wonderful gun and must surely be a pride to have it passed down to you.

I am curious if it is marked anywhere as a Harrington Richardson?
I have no doubt of its authenticity - just wondering how they were marked.

Regards, Dean

Ronald Scott
06-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Ron, that is a wonderful gun and must surely be a pride to have it passed down to you.

I am curious if it is marked anywhere as a Harrington Richardson?
I have no doubt of its authenticity - just wondering how they were marked.

Regards, Dean.

Yes there is an inscription on the barrel rib

Ronald Scott
06-29-2019, 05:59 PM
the close up almost looks fake so here's the original

Ronald Scott
06-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Mr. Scott:
Your gun appears to be an A Grade H&R, or the finest they offered (similar pic attached from collection of H&R past president).

Are you referring to Ted Roe?

Dean Romig
06-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Thanks Ron - very nice!

John Campbell
06-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Mr. Scott:
YES. He was gracious enough to have some photos taken and sent them to me for the book. Years ago. I was humbled by his contribution!

Ronald Scott
06-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Mr. Scott:
YES. He was gracious enough to have some photos taken and sent them to me for the book. Years ago. I was humbled by his contribution!

I didn't know him but a friend of mine worked at H&R back then and knew him pretty well. He tells an interesting story about what happened to the high grade guns when the company was sold. The sad part of the story is that all the factory records were tossed out.

I'm trying to figure out how my great grandfather came upon this gun. He was not a man of means but well respected as a machinist. He worked with Robert Goddard, making parts for some of his rockets at L. Hardy Co. in Worcester. A company Goddard's father either owned or ran.

The family story handed down by word of mouth is that this shotgun was made for one on the board members at H&R. Could Goddard or his father have been that board member? Maybe the gun was gifted by one of them to him for his work on the rocket?

Wouldn't that add to the gun's provenance!

john pulis
06-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Ron,

Very nice. These were top of the line in their day. There are a few around. I have sn 445, a B grade. Are you going to the Vinatgers in September at Hausmann's in Pa? If so lets see if we can meet with these.

John

Ronald Scott
06-30-2019, 07:57 AM
Ron,

Very nice. These were top of the line in their day. There are a few around. I have sn 445, a B grade. Are you going to the Vinatgers in September at Hausmann's in Pa? If so lets see if we can meet with these.

John

Sounds good. I'll be camping along the right side of the big field in the camper pictured below -- please stop by.

Dave Noreen
06-30-2019, 10:40 AM
What a great shotgun!!

Richard Flanders
06-30-2019, 11:33 AM
What a gorgeous gun! Looks unfired. What a treasure.

Mike Franzen
06-30-2019, 03:30 PM
You’re a very lucky man to inherit that gun. I hope you can find out how your grand father came to own it.

charlie cleveland
06-30-2019, 07:53 PM
great gun with a hidden storey waiting to be told....charlie

Kenny Graft
07-01-2019, 04:27 PM
One of these is listed on GB 812929474 good pictures SXS ohio

David Gehman
07-01-2019, 06:40 PM
According to Mr Vicknair, the best made American Classic Double.

john pulis
07-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Kensal,

Look forward to your book. I did not see it on the listed site. Would it be possible that Westley may have export sales, and import, records, since these were shipped to and assembled by H-R. The barrels would not require proofing in the UK, since they for export. Am I correct in this assumption.

I also passed, unfortunately, on a Pittsburgh Arms SxS that looked to be an exact duplicate of the H-R and was told they too held a license to asemble Westleys. It was every bit as fine, better in grade that the one I inherited, as the higher graded HRs. Never saw another one. I did pick up a set of barrels with a fore end at a garage sale in the Hudson Valley decades ago. The lugs were damaged, a future project, and the seller knew not where the the rest of the gun was.

I suspect these HRs was sold thru the higher-end outfitters of their time. They were pricey. My great uncle told me he purchased his from a "shop in New York(city)" in the 1880s.

Anyway, I look forward to your book.

John Campbell
07-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Mr. Pulis:
Thanks for your most kind interest in my book. It will be out soon. Some minor issues to deal with at the publisher yet to go.

The inside story of H&R's double production will be revealed in the book. Along with photos never before seen. And you've guessed well. The market for this gun was a bit limited by a host of factors. This too, will be revealed.

So please be patient. The book will be out soon! Your kind words are much appreciated.

Dean Romig
07-02-2019, 09:30 PM
John, please notify us when your book is available.

Dean

Ronald Scott
07-03-2019, 08:40 AM
What a gorgeous gun! Looks unfired. What a treasure.

It's definitely not unfired. I know because I've patterned it (left barrel mod, right barrel full) and put a box of RST's through it at Hausmann's in June.

I thought long and hard about shooting it. Not because of a fear of bulging or blowing up the Damascus barrels but because it is so pristine -- I'd hate to trip and fall and damage it in any way.

My father had the gun hidden in its case up between the floor joists in his house for at least 40 years. I got to look at it about once every other year or so. He never shot it and I do not believe his uncle ever did either. So it was no easy decision to shoot it.

We talked about the gun and if we should shoot it or not. If we never shot it it would remain in my safe until I'm gone. Then it would go to one of my daughters -- then what? Would she sell it or would her kid sell it after she's gone? That didn't seem like the greatest option. I'm never going to sell it so why not shoot it? I also thought it would be pretty cool to watch my 88 yrs young father shoot it for the first time. Which he did earlier this year at our local skeet club.

John Campbell
07-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Mr. Scott:
You are a wise and prudent man. A gun unfired is a gun without purpose. Enjoy the ownership of this historic H&R while you can. And ensure its care for the future.

The salient precaution one must keep in mind is that the stock wood is VERY old and undoubtedly very dry. Even in perfect visual condition, it may not suffer heavy recoil very well.

Still, the story behind this gun will be fascinating and important for sure. As I've already mentioned you own one of the VERY few A Grade H&R's ever made. Enjoy its history and beauty!

Here's a small bit from my upcoming book... with people you may know:

Dean Romig
07-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Thank you John.

Ronald Scott
07-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Here's a small bit from my upcoming book... with people you may know:

Yes John, I’m friends with Ernie and Steve. They both are members of Boylston Skeet Club where I shoot weekly. I’ve seen Steve’s fine collection of SxS shotguns including the 3 H&Rs he owns. I believe one of the three he owns is an A grade (but it is not as nice as mine :) ).

Thank you for the information—I’m looking forward to obtaining a copy of your book. No doubt Ernie and Steve will both want a copy as well.

Ronald Scott
07-17-2019, 02:02 PM
I am posting this with the author's permission

John Campbell
07-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Mr. Foster did a fine job. However, John Deeley was a bit more than an employee of Westley Richards. He was Managing Director. Nonetheless, a good view of this A Grade H&R.

Ronald Scott
07-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Mr. Foster did a fine job. However, John Deeley was a bit more than an employee of Westley Richards. He was Managing Director. Nonetheless, a good view of this A Grade H&R.

Thanks John. In your research did you come across any records about other officers or board members during that period? I was told that when the H&R was sold all the records were lost. I’d like to know if Robert Goddard or his father had any connection with H&R.

John Campbell
07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Mr. Scott:
Sorry, but I can offer nothing on Mr. Godard. The H&R license to make the A&D gun was signed by Mr. Harrington and Mr. Richardson. This doc is in our archives. But, as you say, the other H&R records were lost. And if Ernie Foster doesn't know, I doubt if anyone does!

john pulis
07-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Thanks Ron. John, I can't wait for the book. Keep us in the loop, please.

Eldon Goddard
07-17-2019, 11:49 PM
That's Robert Goddard, thank you very much!

Channing Will
07-18-2019, 07:28 PM
What an awesome H&R! I remember the A grade Brad and I restored well. Serial number 50. Prior to that I had only ever seen lower grades like C or D. The NRA museum in Fairfax, VA has at least 3-4 on display. The attached pic is my poor ink pull prior to prepping the receiver. Looking at it now I wish I would have used plain white paper to stick the tape to. From my notes on the back #50 was unique in that it did not have a traditional extractor retaining screw in the barrel lug. We speculated #50 was either the first A grade or one of the first H&R doubles built under license. It would be interesting to compile a serial number list to better learn production numbers. The others I have seen all had the retaining screw and seemed to be at least three or four digit serial numbers. My note also included “26” Damascus barrels, bores appeared to have been honed”. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ezz_6rH5_KBxCphkJgn8mu7MEw61VCGqNBkG-Dy_cK6l4i9Lb0zmVAHfqtekpv-6bc0JJo6Jb2d68P_18opQXM5K_b62MMp152qbUpzAyvPAgxmlV SwmnPK4mF0v-G60v7zsqfqc3IAQdVwIjDFg-fLE9OJf

John Campbell
07-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Glad to hear from someone familiar with Brad's historic A&D by H&R. It's in my upcoming book, Birth of The Boxlock. With a bit more information on it. Here's a limited peek at H&R's No. 50 double gun from Chapter 2:

Ronald Scott
07-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Glad to hear from someone familiar with Brad's historic A&D by H&R. It's in my upcoming book, Birth of The Boxlock. With a bit more information on it. Here's a limited peek at H&R's No. 50 double gun from Chapter 2:

I have DGJ Vol twenty-one Issue 3 with Brad's article about his restored A grade starting on p. 29 -- interesting read. There is another excellent article about these H&R shotguns in DGJ Vol eighteen Issue 2 by Don Hardin. He pictures an A grade and a B grade. And finally Ernie Foster also wrote about a B grade in The Upland Almanac Winter 2008. I look forward to adding your book to my growing collection of H&R shotgun material.

Brad Bachelder
07-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Hello all,
We currently have that very shotgun, serial #50, for sale on our gunbroker. I dont want to post a link here since this isnt a sale section but quick gunbroker searching will bring it up. The current owner is very aggressive about realizing a sale, the price point is very low in my opinion. The piece would be an awesome new addition to someones collection, especially with its feature in the upcoming book by Mr. Campbell.

Bob Decker
07-24-2019, 10:25 AM
http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57466_600x400.jpg (http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57466_600x400/)

This is an H&R $300 grade 12 gauge SN# 713 I picked out of a pile of junkers in Las Vegas. It was so dirty it was barely recognizable. The forend had to be completely rebuilt, the stock re-checkered and refinished and the barrels re-done. The work was done by Brian Dudley.

john pulis
07-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Dr. Bob, very nice. Brian did an excellent job.

Garth Gustafson
07-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Mr. Scott:
Your gun appears to be an A Grade H&R, or the finest they offered (similar pic attached from collection of H&R past president). Your's is in exceptional condition and is one of the VERY few guns of this grade ever made. It is RARE!

These guns were made on the 2nd Floor of H&R's plant by workmen who were either brought over from the UK and/or trained by UK craftsmen. The guns were produced under the personal guidance of William and Edwin Anson.

The basic bits for early guns may well have been shipped over from Birmingham. Especially the frames. H&R was the SOLE licensee of the A&D action in the US. And their license prevented Parker from gaining a similar license... so Parker made it's own unique hammerless double.

The full story of these guns, including photos of guns like yours (plus Bachelder's), will appear in my upcoming book, Birth of The Boxlock. The Untold Story of Anson & Deeley. Out soon from Mowbray Publishers.
gunandswordcollector.com

Thanks John, I’m looking forward to your book. It’s a shame these great H&R doubles had such a short run. Years later H&R dipped their toe back into the double gun market again but this time with an inexpensive small bore hammer gun. A very serviceable and attractive $15 hardware store gun for sure but the only thing it had in common with those great Anson & Deeley boxlocks was the name.

Ronald Scott
07-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Thanks John, I’m looking forward to your book. It’s a shame these great H&R doubles had such a short run. Years later H&R dipped their toe back into the double gun market again but this time with an inexpensive small bore hammer gun. A very serviceable and attractive $15 hardware store gun for sure but the only thing it had in common with those great Anson & Deeley boxlocks was the name.

Obtaining information about these early high grade doubles is nearly impossible. I recently obtained a copy of H&R Arms Company 1871--1986 by Goforth. It is 628 pages long broken down into 5 parts. Part 3 "All Shotguns with Historical Data" has 1 chapter on double barrel guns which has 9 pages. Only 1/2 of 1 page is devoted to the H&R Hammerless Model 1882.

I'm currently trying to track down the other 2 book mentioned but I doubt there will be much more than a brief listing. I'd love to find out more about the company, it's board make up, and other details about the firm and these guns from that period.

John Campbell
07-26-2019, 09:29 AM
The information on this page is correct in some ways. Not so correct in others. At least according to the information I've uncovered. First:

A&D markings were part of the license agreement. They may have been applied to rough frames sent over from Westleys.

Some early guns were probably sent over from Westleys in a semi-finished state. Later guns were said to be made up entirely on the 2nd floor of H&R. However, they may still have been made up from rough frames/barrels imported from UK.

The estimated number of H&R doubles is less than 3000. Probably closer to 2000-2500. Still, no real records exist to prove precise numbers.

Again, much more information coming up in my book...

Dave Noreen
07-26-2019, 09:42 AM
FWIW here is the listing from the 1884 E.C. Meacham Arms Co. catalog --

and another picture I saved --

john pulis
07-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Every little bit of information helps. Thanks Researcher and Kensal we look forward to your book.

Bill Murphy
07-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Brad, is your gun still on gunbroker? I can't find it today.

Russell E. Cleary
07-27-2019, 08:26 AM
This illustration of the Harrington & Richardson NEW HAMMERLESS GUN from the John P. Lovell Arms Co., of Boston 1890 catalogue is the same shown by Researcher.

But it appears to offer two more grades: No. 3 "Same as No.2. but finer in all particulars..."; and No. 4. "Best quality, fully equal in every respect to the finest and costliest English makes..."

Brad Bachelder
07-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Here is a link to the current listing,
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812920474
Feel free to remove if this is not allowed

Bill Murphy
07-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Parker.

Milton C Starr
07-31-2019, 01:31 PM

I was reading about the H&R small bore hammer guns just last week when I was trying to find if anyone had ever made a 28 ga hammer gun . I read that they are fairly cheap compared to other vintage 28 ga sxs's when they show up for sale.

Brian Dudley
07-31-2019, 02:09 PM
The H&R hammer guns were made in 20, 28, .410 and 44 cal. If I recall correctly.
They are simple guns that are not all that well put together in regards to fit and finish, but they work well and are easy to work on.

If you want a small bore hammer gun and are not picky, they are an excellent buy.

Milton C Starr
07-31-2019, 02:12 PM
The H&R hammer guns were made in 20, 28, .410 and 44 cal. If I recall correctly.
They are simple guns that are not all that well put together in regards to fit and finish, but they work well and are easy to work on.

If you want a small bore hammer gun and are not picky, they are an excellent buy.

I was just thinking it would be cool to have a hammer gun in every gauge and 28 ga is probably the least seen in a hammer gun unless you consider 24 and 32 ga lol .

Phillip Carr
08-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Nothing as nice as the beautiful gun posted but it’s my H&R just the same.
I am posting a few pictures of my H&R. It has a cracked butt stock and the Damascus pattern on the barrels is quit faded. Still has some case colors left and bore is very nice.
The frame design is different from the other H&R’s I have see. Just forward and below the boosters on the side of the frame left and right side is a 1/2 round attachment. See the pictures.
Possibly this is not uncommon but I just personally have not seen this before.
Feedback on the gun is appreciated.

Phillip Carr
08-30-2019, 10:51 PM
http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57874_600x400.jpg (http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57874_600x400/)

Ronald Scott
08-30-2019, 11:20 PM
The frame design is different from the other H&R’s I have see. Just forward and below the boosters on the side of the frame left and right side is a 1/2 round attachment.

Interesting attachments -- I wonder what they are for?

chris dawe
08-31-2019, 08:55 AM
I remember seeing that gun at the shop last fall when I was in AZ,I liked it then and still like it now ,real stout thing

John Campbell
08-31-2019, 09:00 AM
Quite an interesting H&R. The frame bolsters appear to be unfiled/shaped bolsters. In other words, still essentially as forged. Normally, these are shaped out to provide extra strength at the frame's corner... mostly for rifles or heavy duty shotguns for waterfowl. Many of H&R's early frames were sourced from England, so this gun may have been an odd forging that didn't get properly filed up. OR, was deliberately ordered with these hefty bolsters in place. After all, the pins are long enough to fit the frame width.

Phillip Carr
08-31-2019, 09:01 AM
10 lb. gun with 32” barrels.

Phillip Carr
08-31-2019, 09:44 AM
John it may just be the pictures I posted. Here is another. Seem to be fit up and polished similar to the rest of the frame.

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57876_1024x768.jpg (http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57876_1024x768/)

John Campbell
08-31-2019, 09:54 AM
The photos are still not clear. If these bolsters were added to the basic frame, then it's all up in the air. It could have been done at H&R... or by some some other 'smith outside of the factory. The joint (if there is one) is very tight. So... who knows. They are a bit less than elegant however, so I think this may well be "aftermarket work."

Phillip Carr
08-31-2019, 10:23 AM
That all makes sense John. Can you tell me what model or grade this might be?
I’m assuming that the plates are riveted or pinned somehow in place.

John Campbell
08-31-2019, 11:17 AM
From what I can see, this appears to be a C grade gun, priced at $150 back in the day. Probably the level of gun a ardent waterfowl hunter would select to bang around in the marsh with.

Brian Dudley
08-31-2019, 12:18 PM
My thoughts, which may not matter to some. Added for sure. You can see where the original engraving comes in and peters out as it approaches the additions. And the rough file marks under the bolsters in that transition point. Faint circular outlines can be seen in the middle of them. Interesting for sure and leaves you wondering what they are for any why they were done.

John Campbell
08-31-2019, 12:58 PM
This W & C Scott gun was shown on The Double Gun Journal Group page. It illustrates the typical style of English frame bolster filing. The bolsters on this H&R are not even in the same galaxy for style and taste. Thus, I deem them add-ons.

Phillip Carr
08-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Well maybe its a SPACE GUN. Im quit sure they are add ons. Im also just guessing they were not Going for Looks. ��
Just another interesting find and modification.

Dean Romig
08-31-2019, 02:27 PM
Added for weight?

John Campbell
08-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Mr. Carr: I apologize if I seemed too callous in my post. I only meant that the heavy, functional shape of your gun's bolsters were not commensurate with typical English style.

Your gun is still a very rare H&R, with a very fascinating dimension in these bolsters. With its 32" barrels the gun was apparently used with serious long-range loads. Who used it? Where? And how did it end up in Arizona? ALL most fascinating unknowns. Thus, you have a heritage and potential story in this gun that surpasses many others!

Ronald Scott
08-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Added for weight?

I was thinking they were added for strength..... Can't imagine they can weigh very much

Phillip Carr
08-31-2019, 07:36 PM
John no offense taken. I bring home my fair share of strays. I have a habit of reading about a shotgun maker then finding one to see how they operate and study up on what I can. Some are kept others go down the road.
This guns was in the back room of a shop for years. Moved out front and never sold. The post on H&R high grade guns peak my intreast so a low ball offer thrown out that was excepted.
Here in Arizona I find plenty of repaired and modified guns from the late 1880’s to early 1900’s. After all these guns were tools to harvest wild game but also used to protect the family from Apaches, Bandits and predators that might need to be delete with in protecting the family and livestock.
When this gun was manufactured Arizona was a territory and still pretty wild. Not sure how long this gun has been here. It came of a ranch estate where the sale of the guns were handled by a friend that owns Frontier Guns shop. History pretty much starts and stops there.

John Campbell
09-02-2019, 09:07 AM
It's still a most interesting find. And part of American history.

Ronald Scott
09-02-2019, 03:15 PM
John -- when do you expect your book to be available? I'm looking forward to obtaining a copy. -- Ron

John Campbell
09-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Ron:
It should be within the next few months. I'm going to hound the publisher later this week. If I get a more accurate timeframe, I'll let everyone know. THANKS for your most kind interest!

Phillip Carr
09-02-2019, 03:24 PM
John I will also look forward to your book.

Ronald Scott
04-04-2020, 08:39 AM
For those of you who may have an interest, my article about my great grandfather's A grade H&R that is pictured at the beginning of this thread has been published in the DJG Vol 31 Spring 2020. Here are couple of sample pages (these are low resolution web images -- the pictures in DJG are superb as usual). Included in the article is a rare copy of a hand written letter from Anson & Deeley to H&R that mentions Parker Bros' request for license to "make our hammerless actions."

Dean Romig
04-04-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm looking forward to reading your article Ron and seeing pictures of this special gun.

Channing Will
04-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Same here, these H&Rs and early Colts are some of America’s finest! I wish there was more written about them.

I'm looking forward to reading your article Ron and seeing pictures of this special gun.

John Campbell
04-04-2020, 06:26 PM
I've read Mr. Scott's fine article in the Spring DGJ. It illustrates that the personal and human history behind such wonderful guns is as interesting and important as the guns themselves. Which are products of human art and passion.

Scott's story also opens a few doors to the story behind these unique H&R boxlocks. Not the least of which is Parker's original desire to make their own A&D gun (which I revealed earlier). The balance of this story can be found in my upcoming book: Birth of The Boxlock. It will be available soon from Man at Arms Books. COVID 19 permitting.

Ronald Scott
04-05-2020, 12:36 AM
I've read Mr. Scott's fine article in the Spring DGJ. It illustrates that the personal and human history behind such wonderful guns is as interesting and important as the guns themselves. Which are products of human art and passion.

Thank you

john pulis
04-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Look forward to your book John.

Dean Romig
04-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Ron, I read your article in DGJ and found it to be extremely informative and liberally infused with your family history - what great provenance and a great history on one of the rarest of American classic SXS guns.
Worcester is about 40 miles from my house here in Andover and has always been a city of industry, art and education. I find it quite easy to believe there were plenty of skilled craftsmen in and around Worcester in the days when your beautiful gun was appointed to be sold to the highest level of clientele.

Ronald Scott
04-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dean — I appreciate your kind words

Ken Hill
04-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Ron,

A great article! I enjoyed the history you provided on the H&R A&D guns along with the family connection. I can't imagine the gun went unfired and was stored in attics for a long time. I just remember my grandfathers attics in PA and they got fairly warm in the summer. Glad to see the gun is in great condition.

Ken

Ronald Scott
04-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Ron,

A great article! I enjoyed the history you provided on the H&R A&D guns along with the family connection. I can't imagine the gun went unfired and was stored in attics for a long time. I just remember my grandfathers attics in PA and they got fairly warm in the summer. Glad to see the gun is in great condition.

Ken

Thank you Ken. Others have made the same observation about the storage method. And I think most people believe you should never store a gun in its leather case. I'm no expert but that's how this gun was stored for over 50 years and it is perfect except for some wear caused by it rubbing against the contact areas inside the case.

John Campbell
08-04-2020, 11:38 AM
John -- when do you expect your book to be available? I'm looking forward to obtaining a copy. -- Ron

Ron & Others:
Well... The wait is finally over! Copies of my new book, Birth of The Boxlock are now available from Mowbray Publishing:

https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/boxlock-shotgun/

The untold story of the A&D boxlock and how Parker and H&R figure into the tale of Anson & Deeley's immortal gun can now be told. I hope you all enjoy it!!

Best, John C.

PS: If you order online through Mowbray's/link above, please be sure that the "Ship to Another Address" box is UNCHECKED before you submit the order. It's currently pre-checked, and will hang up your otherwise correct order unless you UNCHECK it!

John Campbell
08-05-2020, 02:01 PM
This publisher's description may provide a more fulsome perspective on the book's theme and contents:

"The Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun–The Inside Story of Anson & Deeley, Westley Richards, Harrington & Richardson, and the Perfection of the Hammerless Action by John Campbell

"The story of three 19th-century English gentlemen [William Anson, John Deeley & Edwin Anson] and the guns they made and how these remarkably creative men sired a shooting heritage that most of us take for granted today. They were amazing craftsmen, businessmen, and artists. But like all of us they led personal lives fraught with hope, tragedy, victory and defeat. What caused the brilliant engineering alliance between William Anson and John Deeley to devolve into a seemingly obscure end? The surprising answers, and more, can be found in this book–much of it previously unknown, and unpublished. It all adds up to a mesmerizing tale of genius, ambition, triumph and travail!"