PDA

View Full Version : What makes a great Parker Collection in your mind?

Craig Larter
06-24-2019, 06:07 PM
I am always interested in what others consider a great Parker collection. We are all focused on different segments of the Parker collecting world based upon our background collecting, shooting and hunting interests. Many from the more urban areas are focused on competitive guns like single barrel trap guns and double pigeon/trap guns. Those from upland rich areas are more focused on small bores, waterfowl hunters are crazy for heavy duck guns. Some just what to own mint or very high condition examples with no desire to use them. How about you, has your background influenced your collecting interests???????
I started my hunting life as a waterfowl hunter but time and resources have allowed me to hunt upland birds all over the western hemisphere. So I'm focused on waterfowl guns but have a sprinkling of small bores. I have a few high condition examples I will not shoot, but most of my guns are for use as intended. My collection of Parkers is post 1893 and pre 1916, the golden age of duck hunting. The range of my collection is from a 15 pound 36" D hammer 10ga to a 30" 20 gauge straight grip. My preference is for damascus examples, I find the patterns outstanding artwork!
So I feel a great collection of Parkers for me to be a wide range of guns used during the golden era of waterfowl hunting from different sections of the country. Like most of you I always have my ear to the ground looking for the next gem. What say you??

Rich Anderson
06-24-2019, 06:46 PM
I'm a sucker for a straight grip small bore. I don't target any particular barrel length as mine go from 26-32. I have a couple of vent rib gun two 20's (one is a VHE skeet) and a two barrel 16. Grades go from VHE to BHE so no particular direction there either. I shoot all my guns no safe queens.

I guess at the end of the day I "collect" and shoot straight grip small bores.

CraigThompson
06-24-2019, 06:47 PM
A complete set of A-1 specials (if they had made it in 410) I think would be quite nice . But the amount of scheckels required for that would be a bit overwhelming to say the least . I suppose you could say I’m drawn to guns with open quail/grouse chokes especially 26 or 28 inch stuff , but then I find myself drawn to the 10 gauge in most configurations . But then I also like 10’s and 12’s with 30 to whatever inch barrels . I suppose for me sometimes it just depends on what day it is and which way the winds blowing !

Daryl Corona
06-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Whether they be Parkers, Foxes, or now Lefevers my idea of a collection is one of guns that caught my fancy at the time. I started out way back when with smallbore (20,28) Parkers, then 32" straight grip guns. The only criteria they must have are plenty of choke, lots of condition and shootable dimensions.

Mills Morrison
06-24-2019, 07:38 PM
It helps to have goals and standards even if you venture out of those standards sometimes. I have been trying to get a good cross section of G grades. This year I am working on small bores, which means 16, 20 and 28 gauges as well as lighter 12s.

Randy G Roberts
06-24-2019, 08:19 PM
For me it's those long barrels. I really don't get too interested until we hit 32" in length. The exception would be the 410 and 28's if I would ever come across one of those, a 30-inch 28 would really be nice. I have accumulated a modest collection that suits my needs for the time being. As of now I am seeking long-barreled guns with condition that I might be able to obtain and possibly upgrade my collection. One thing about staying focused on a particular version or configuration is that it tends to keep me within my budgets. Most of the time. Quite a few of these are 12-gauge guns. Since I like to shoot that fits into my needs quite nicely. I don't mind shooting them and I am not afraid to shoot any of them without regard to their condition. I take care of them and I have found that I am able to maintain their condition. Bear in mind that I am talking about a round or two of Sporting Clays or skeet. I am not going to take any of my doubles out into the rain. I am admittedly a fair-weather shooter.

Garry L Gordon
06-24-2019, 09:23 PM
I'm probably like many others in that my tastes and desires have changed some over time and with my ability to acquire (afford) guns. However, I'm an upland hunter, and almost all of the guns I've collected have been with upland birds in mind (but I do have some waterfowl and turkey guns). I prefer 16s to any other gauge; love Damascus, twist (and especially Bernard steel) barrels. I prefer straight/splinter guns with two triggers. I do not own, and, at the risk of heresy, would not buy, a single trigger gun, one with a ventilated rib, or a beavertail forend (hey, it saves me a lot of money not to buy guns with those features that are "desirable" to many others!).

I've set some specific goals for my collecting, and have, I'm sure like many others, become more selective where in the past I used to buy good examples of a wider range of guns. But I like a gun that "speaks" to me. Generally, that would be a small bore, two trigger, straight/splinter gun on the lighter side (but well balanced). I own more 16s than any other gauge. A good collection to me would include guns with these features.

In the end, I'm a hunter(shooter)/collector. I like the nostalgia of guns from the past, and feel more connected to that past when I use them as they were intended to be used.

Matthew Hanson
06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
I am all in on any G grade 28 inch Damascus. The smaller the frame the better. I currently have a 16 zero frame and a 12 ga two frame. How can you not resist the hammer 16 Damascus? Your first Parker is always your favorite Parker no matter what the grade or condition. My VH is going to be free to someone when I am no longer hunting on this earth, but not until then.

davidboyles
06-24-2019, 10:50 PM
I'm a relative beginner but 2 guns I acquired over the past few years have really got my attention. I wrote about them in the PP and they are both DHE's a 16 and 20. Both have 30" barrels and I sit there and admire them as well as take them on hunts from everything from quail to doves to turkeys. It is really a matter of pride in ownership and warm feeling about how I was able to obtain one of them through a particular west coast friend and the other from a Texas dealer I was able to out-trade some surplus guns to make the deal happen. As my hunting friend Charlie Parker would say " It's All Good" This Parker Association has become a new list of friends with common interests I am proud to be associated with today. My little VHE 28 is also in the DHE family of goodies I was lucky to acquire and stands ready to hit the field. It too has bagged doves, quail and this year one of the biggest gobblers I have ever taken. Such a versatile little gun!! Can you see me beaming!

Brett Hoop
06-24-2019, 11:20 PM
I collect memories with Parker Bros. shotguns. I have a rather humble mixed group all 0 frames, with the lone exception a GH 1 frame 12 Damascus. A mix, that as it stands, are half straight and half capped butt stocks. All have double triggers, and splinters,because those features are the best choice for me. I never want for a better gun in the Aspen thickets or Switch grass. I like to shoot my bird guns when I do shoot sporting clays, for me it is practice for the field and much about having a good time with some wonderful friends I have collected through the mutual interest in the Parker gun.

Matthew Hanson
06-25-2019, 07:10 AM
I hear you Mills! Those smaller bore G grades are sure a lot more pricier than my 16 and 12 ga. Just means I have to save up a little longer. 20 ga. is next up for me.

Harry Collins
06-25-2019, 09:19 AM
If I had the nickels and I was getting a deal the Parker was mine. Seven years ago I did a partial dispersal and kept the six family Parkers plus four that I've either had a very long time or are of no real value, but fun to have. I even let a VH 28 go, but I have hopes that the family DHE 28 will find its way to my house.

Jack Cronkhite
06-25-2019, 09:48 AM
My collection is based solely on the gun having the inscription Parker Bros on frame and barrels

Mills Morrison
06-25-2019, 11:11 AM
I let a GH 20/28 combo get away and it is driving me nuts. The 28 barrels were aftermarket, so the price was reasonable. So it goes . . .

MARK KIRCHER
06-25-2019, 11:43 AM
This is a great topic to ponder. As I do I think over the different phases I have gone through over the past decades – first I wanted guns of certain grade and condition regardless of fit and chokes. Then the pendulum swung completely the other way and my only concerns being choke, frame size, and fit for “hunt-ability.” Now I have landed somewhere close to the middle. Medium grades and hunt-ability reign supreme in my desires, but also enough condition to be considered a “sweet spot gun” (50% at minimum and hopefully better condition) – my allowances for gun fit have also widened as I have aged.
But my first thought with every gun I lift is still “where will I hunt this gun”?
My modest collection will attest to this. I have just a few guns that I have not yet hunted but all of them could get the call on any given day if the circumstances are right.
I wonder what my gun room will look like a decade from now?

Mills Morrison
06-25-2019, 11:49 AM
A cousin of mine said he did not have enough Parkers to be a member of PGCA which is not true at all. Actually one good Parker would be the great Parker collection for some

Bill Murphy
06-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Mark, a decade from now is a completely different situation for me at 73 than it is for many Parker guys. Watch the obituaries.

Josh Loewensteiner
06-25-2019, 02:32 PM
In my work, I have probably seen as many Parker collections as anyone alive today. It really is a true privilege and I can say unequivocally, the great Parker collections of our time are are not the biggest. The biggest ones - typically over 100-150 guns often have a lot of mundane Parkers or parts guns.

Many of the collections I see are an amalgamation of guns the person thought were “cheap” when purchased. Buying on price alone, one typically ends up with a mish-mash of fair guns but usually very few desirable or collectible guns.

Undoubtedly, the finest collections, in my opinion, are highly focused and refined. They are usually less than 75 guns and end up becoming the perfect product of years of passion, dedication, and some risk. It takes a passionate person to seek a focused collection - the focus could be something like long barreled guns, big bore guns, high original condition guns, etc. the list goes on. The best collections are constantly being refined each time a better example is able to be acquired. The collector buys the better example and sells the lesser one. Perhaps that means selling the very fine AAHE 12ga to make room for a 20ga AAHE if one comes along, or simply upgrading for better dimensions, configuration, or condition. The “risk” component comes in when buying. This collector usually “steps up” and buys the best. He is taking a risk by paying the price necessary to refine and improve existing holdings. Very few collections are so refined that buying another Parker of high original condition would water down existing holdings.

There has certainly never been a better time in my lifetime to build a great Parker collection than today!!!

Harry Collins
06-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Ed Murderlak had "Benchmark Parkers." As I recall him telling me, these guns were those of the highest factory condition he owned. If a new gun came along it must be equal to or better to even consider. I know some of you have one or more of Ed's benchmark Parkers.

On another note I've found that the pistols, rifles, and shotguns I've amassed over the years hold little to no interest by the grandchildren. They are into semi-autos.

Bill Murphy
06-26-2019, 09:27 AM
My collection would be much smaller if I sold lesser condition guns after finding a better one of the same grade and configuration. A "collection much smaller" is something I should be working on, but it is a rough ride.

edgarspencer
06-26-2019, 11:10 AM
I think a "collection" implies that there is some relationship between all the pieces therein. Additionally, it suggests I have a plan, or at least know something. Hence, I prefer to think of myself as an "accumulator".

Garry L Gordon
06-26-2019, 11:44 AM
My wife tells me to dust in my library because the "stuff" in there has collected dust. I now know that I can correct her and tell her that the so-called stuff only "accumulated" the dust. :whistle:

My guess is that I'll still have to dust in the library. :banghead:

Joe Graziano
06-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Josh brings up some valid points. I've learned this over time. I have an admitted soft spot for attempting to find great shooting guns for $500 and under. If you really look, there are plenty of them. It's become a minor obsession. The problem is, as Josh points out, you wind up with a whole lot of rather average guns. I enjoy them very much, but it's a lot of wood and metal to house and I can only shoot so often, or as often as my wife will tolerate. I've since consolidated my collection, resisted the urge to buy what I think are bargains, and focus on obtaining higher end guns.

Gary Carmichael Sr
06-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Well I am a collector, accumulator, hoarder, what ever you want to call it. I like Parker shot guns! love to hear the metal clink when taking them apart and putting them back together, I guess I'm a collector of sorts, I have recently parted with some high grade 10 gauges, to concentrate on small bore hammer guns 20 ga to be exact. with around 15 lifters and only 35 top lever guns made in every grade I find this adds excitement to the hunt. I have had some nice collections in the past that I have sold in order to start new ones, Some interesting ones were a 12 gauge collection of high condition guns that included the Pratt A1-special two barrel set, and a P grade steel barrel collection from the 410 to the 8 gauge, these are gone now to other people to enjoy, I had a great time finding them which took several years, so I am a collector at heart I guess, now where is that next 20 hiding? Gary

Michael Moffa
06-26-2019, 09:03 PM
lets see rule of thumb: more than one gun safe of Parkers and your a collector, more than three gunsafes of Parkers and you're a hoarder.

Jack Cronkhite
06-26-2019, 09:22 PM
And if you had to build a secured room?

Mike Franzen
06-26-2019, 10:01 PM
This is an interesting topic. To me the operative words are “Great Collection”. When I think of the great collections I have seen they are always populated with guns that are extraordinary in their condition and rarity. Attending the Parker Gun Foundation’s Hall of Fame banquet has educated me about truly great collections. Our Hall of Famers have many of the greatest guns Parker Brothers ever made. The men who have put these collections together have a burning passion to acquire the finest examples they can find. Whether their passion is hammer guns, high condition high grades or famous guns of provenance they will always be examples that are extraordinary. The collection doesn’t have to be big to qualify either. One HOF’er displayed a collection of every gauge in VH grade. A great collection consisting of six guns! I have a “collection” of Parker's I hunt with and occasionally shoot targets with. No savvy Parker man would ever label it a great Collectors collection. However, a hunter would think it is pretty good.

Patrick Lien
06-26-2019, 10:21 PM
I think a "collection" implies that there is some relationship between all the pieces therein. Additionally, it suggests I have a plan, or at least know something. Hence, I prefer to think of myself as an "accumulator".

That made me smile, well done Edgar!

PML

CraigThompson
06-26-2019, 11:30 PM
lets see rule of thumb: more than one gun safe of Parkers and your a collector, more than three gunsafes of Parkers and you're a hoarder.

I have a little over one safe of Parker’s , but the other two saves are filled with a menagerie of handguns , rifles , shotguns and muzzle loaders :rolleyes:

Craig Larter
06-27-2019, 06:52 AM
Collecting Parkers and setting very narrow boundaries that may result in never accomplishing my goal is too restrictive for me. I know myself and I am not that disciplined. That's why I have set waterfowl guns as my focus. I do discipline myself by setting an upper limit on the collection. That forces me to sell a lesser gun for a better example.
I really enjoy the hunt and can't imagine ever saying I'm done.

Michael Moffa
06-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Tarnation, yes on the room. So I can be labeled as deeply afflicted. At the HOF dinner a couple of years ago, Art W. asked me if I had a lot of Parkers. Since the Pretty Wife was sitting between us I had to refrain from answering and asked Art back what constituted 'a lot." He said 200. So now we know where to draw the line on a lot of Parkers.

Jack Cronkhite
06-28-2019, 09:26 AM
A true affliction might go beyond a lot and move into the realm of a plethora of Parkers. But that’s a ten dollar word not much used in regular jawin’ How about a profusion of Parkers when one secured room is no longer enough. Oh my!

Mills Morrison
06-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Another thing that is particularly true for those of us that shoot our Parkers is the memories associated with particular guns. I have a few that I would probably sell to improve my collection, but which bring memories of particular hunts

Rich Anderson
06-28-2019, 11:17 AM
I still have my first graded small bore, a DHE 20 straight grip 26 inch barrels and open chokes. I bought it at Cabelas (before I knew better) in Owatano MN on my way to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs. I learned to shoot double triggers with that gun. I have another DHE 20 the first high condition gun I ever bought this has all the options 30 inch vent rib straight grip BTF and the early Miller trigger. I got it from Steve Barnett at the first Parker/Smith challenge. There are guns that are special regardless of gauge, grade or condition then there is one that tugs at the heart strings every time I take it out.......Gunner's Gun.

My Grandfather was a Parker shooter and had as the family story goes he had an A1 special trap gun. When he died he wanted it gifted to a friend and his wishes were carried out. I'll continue that tradition with Gunner's Gun. Hopefully it will become a cornerstone in his collection.

Russell E. Cleary
06-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Exemplary gun examples and Great Collections, shown and discussed here, is heady stuff. Josh provides additional insight into that rarified world, of which I just see a slice of from time-to-time, at a show, a shoot or an event, i.e., PGCA Annual Meeting or Parker Gun Foundation Hall of Fame Annual Awards Dinner.

I am reminded of what one man (who should know) told me a few years back: that “The top 50 collectors don’t go on line at all”.

Garry L Gordon
06-29-2019, 11:20 AM
I am reminded of what one man (who should know) told me a few years back: that “The top 50 collectors don’t go on line at all”.

Well, I am an example of the "bottom" 50 collectors, and I am on line. And like you, Russell, I enjoy seeing what the top 50 might buy at auctions, etc.

I am quite happy to own a few...and shoot them all.

Russell E. Cleary
06-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Heck, it would be gross chutzpah for me to say I even make the bottom 50.

No, I’m not a real gun collector. I just get mistaken for one at the auction previews.

CraigThompson
06-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Well, I am an example of the "bottom" 50 collectors, and I am on line. And like you, Russell, I enjoy seeing what the top 50 might buy at auctions, etc.

I am quite happy to own a few...and shoot them all.

Regardless of top fifty or bottom fifty to paraphrase Popeye the Sailor Man “I am what I am!” :bigbye: :rotf:

CraigThompson
06-29-2019, 03:46 PM
My Grandfather was a Parker shooter and had as the family story goes he had an A1 special trap gun. When he died he wanted it gifted to a friend and his wishes were carried out. I'll continue that tradition with Gunner's Gun. Hopefully it will become a cornerstone in his collection.

I kinda have a similar tale (of woe). My pop has always said my paternal grandfather had a pair of Parker’s that he supposedly ordered once upon a time . One was for skeet and the other for trap dunno grades or if the trap gun was a double or single . And strangely he had a Fox (again don’t know the grade) for feathered birds IE quail . It’s assumed all three were 12 gauge . Anyway they disappeared during or right after the depression . Wish I could of atleast known what they were much less acquire them !

Daniel G Rainey
06-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Being a fool for a flushing bird, my taste in Parkers is what you need or think you need to kill a quail, sharptail,pheasant or any bird you are hunting. When duck or dove hunting a heavier gun is fine because you are sitting and waiting for the bird to fly to you. So 3 frame 10s are welcome since you are not walking miles each day. I gave up ducks but had much rather go on good dove shoot than kill a deer.To me, any bird gun works for doves. I shoot 2 frame CHE 12 with 2 1/2 inch 7s choked improved and full a lot but this year I plan to use a new to me DHE 20 with 30 inch barrels choked improved and mod.But, when it comes to walking behind pointing or flushing dogs ( I have a Boykin) I want a 16. LOVE 16s. light so you can carry all day but will kill any flushing bird that I have hunted. First was a GH 16 2 1/2 choked improved and full. I call it my prairie grouse gun. Let those sharptails or chickens flush at 30 yards and that full barrel comes into play. My other 16 is a DHE two barrel set with 32 inch full and full ( that I hope to kill a turkey with before I die ) and 28 choked improved and mod. used on quail and pheasants. I have a 1 1/2 frame PH 12 with twist barrels, my first Parker and the one that got me hooked. this gun has killed lots of birds and is joy to look at since it cost $47.50 when the PH cost $27.50 ( by the Parker letter) the extra cost was because of the wood. My guns must be balanced and fit me. Too short a stock or to much drop at the heel will not work. If the gun ( is knockout at a fair price ) does not halfway fit I am not going to shoot it well so why buy it ?. I am the same way about ugly guns or woman. I do not want deal with them. I think that those flat black guns with black PVC stocks work and may kill the bird but they have no soul. They are just like the shopping centers most of them come out of. After chasing and shooting birds for over 50 years, I have come to the conclusion that the third shot out of a auto or pump gun is used mainly out of flustration therefore all anyone needs is a gun with 2 barrels and it is a well know fact that gentlemen shoot side by sides.

Craig Larter
06-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Many interesting posts which are very thought provoking. What makes this hobby so interesting is the wide range of opinions all brought together with a desire to own and in many cases shoot and hunt with Parker guns. Most start with a laser focus on a specific gun and then broaden there focus as they immerse themselves in the world of Parkers or vintage guns. Our individual economic situation governs our definition of a great collection, but my guess is we all enjoy and are proud of our collection, no matter how modest or grand. Thanks all for the great posts. Craig

Bill Murphy
06-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Rich, since you're making plans for the future, The Lovely Linda would like to put her reservation in to get Gunner's Gun back. I didn't realize she was so fond of it. She actually bought two Parkers the day she bought Gunner's Gun, still has the other one, a benchmark 12 gauge VH. Both guns came out of the same Poolesville, Maryland household. Linda says "Hi".

Rich Anderson
07-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Bill please pass along a big hello to the lovely Linda. Hopefully it will be quite a while before Gunner's Gun goes anywhere.

Jack Cronkhite
07-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Rich, from another perspective, Gunner’s gun should be going somewhere in the poppies along a two track in grouse country near Channing fairly soon I hope. Cheers Jack

Rich Anderson
07-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Gunner and his gun always go to Channing to tip toe through the Aspens. This year he'll be joined by two youngsters Ike and Duke.