PDA

View Full Version : Parker O\U

Chuck Bishop
06-21-2019, 11:15 AM
While looking at Gunbroker I saw a faux Parker Brothers O/U gun for sale. Starting at $18k and buy it now for $29,950. First time I've seen one for sale so I guess they sold at least 1. I saw a demo gun at the Vintage Cup years ago. Nice looking gun.

Stephen Hodges
06-21-2019, 11:43 AM
I saw that ad also. It is nice looking, but for $18 grand I can think of a lot of guns I would have before it:corn:

Brian Dudley
06-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that is the first time I have actually seen one come to market second hand. I am sure that some got out the door before the operation went belly-up.

To my understanding, there was some legal issues over the name as well.

In my opinion, these guns are a total abomination. Not only in them being an O/U, but even in styling. I think if Parker were to have actually built an O/U, the result would be much different than that.

I wonder what the creators of that had going through their heads thinking that was ever a good idea.
I suppose that at the time, O/U were THE double gun being used and they thought that the "Parker" name was enough to make people line up to buy one. Maybe that is all that did get bought... ONE.

John Dallas
06-21-2019, 01:49 PM
I think that the CSMC M21 is a similar mistake

Phillip Carr
06-21-2019, 02:48 PM
I assume that the CSMC model 21 O/U was not an actual reproduction of the original Winchester 21 O/U prototype?

Stephen Hodges
06-21-2019, 03:44 PM
I think that the CSMC M21 is a similar mistake

I have been to Connecticut Shotgun several times and while there handled a few of the 21 O/U's. I actually contemplated buying one but I am just not that fond of O/U's. That being said, they are a very nice gun that handle and swing nicely. I have no idea how popular they have been though.

Brian Dudley
06-21-2019, 05:06 PM
My first thoughts on the M21 O/U is that it was just the Inverness platform that is styled to resemble the model 21.
But that is of course a thought based on me not having any knowledge of the internal workings of the gun. Just from handling them.

CraigThompson
06-21-2019, 06:47 PM
As to O/U’s I’m quite satisfied with nice old Belgium Browning Superposed’s , Remington 32’s , Krieghoff K-32’s , Krieghoff K-80’s and last but not least Krieghoff K-20’s .

Bill Murphy
06-21-2019, 07:11 PM
The CSMC Model 21 over under is a viable gun, nearly identical to the Inverness, and nearly identical to the Italian gun they were copied from. Another thing that makes Tony's lower priced over unders viable is they do not cost $18,000. Kevin McCormack and I spent a bit of time with the Parker Brothers Makers guns several years ago, and were not impressed. The promoters ignored several very generous offers to take the guns on the road, and apparently never found anyone else to take them on the road.

Phillip Carr
06-21-2019, 10:14 PM
I believe the center shotgun in this picture is a prototype Winchester 21 o/u.
Not the best picture. It was taken a few years ago at the Cody Firearms museum.

Mills Morrison
06-21-2019, 10:16 PM
One word: pass

John Dallas
06-22-2019, 08:22 AM
I bought an Inverness when they came out, and it never spoke to me. Went down the road shortly thereafter. Admittedly, I have never handled the CSMC 21, but the styling put me off

Tom Jay
06-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Was at CSMC this week buying an early Winchester Model 21 16 gauge and handled the M21 O/U 30” barrels. Thought of buying one for several years for sporting clays and after handling one still tempted. Not sure how they are selling but following them on GI the advertised prices seem to be lower now than a year ago. Was told by the salesman the M21 O/U mechanics are the exact same as their Inverness model.

John Dallas
06-23-2019, 08:59 AM
When the Inverness came out, it was priced at around $3K. A while later, the price was changed to about $9k. Sorry - in my never to be too humble opinion, it ain't a $9K gun, but the price raise sure made my $3k gun worth a lot more

Stephen Hodges
06-23-2019, 10:40 AM
It seems when they come out with a new model shotgun they sell it for a year or two at a loss price, then once they get somewhat established they up the price to what it should have been to start. Just a thought.

John Dallas
06-23-2019, 03:32 PM
I love my RBL, but it doesn't appear that they have significantly raised the price on it since its inception

Dean Romig
06-23-2019, 05:28 PM
I was really intrigued by the 20 gauge RBL Pro Hunter when they first came out at about $3k but now the price is almost $7k and not realistic at that price for my purposes.

Michael Moffa
07-02-2019, 07:40 PM
I had an Inverness done for my Pretty Daughter for graduating high school, 20ga, Englsih, 30". At the Vegas show I asked Tony (She was in second semester of college by then) if he could engrave "Valedictorian" on the barrels for her. He told me to call Lou on Wednesday. I did that and they took care of it. The gun came about 2 months later and I'm still waiting on the bill for the special engraving. I also had an A10 20/28 on order at that time. It seems I went the better part of a decade with a gun on order from CSMC.

Chuck Bishop
07-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Boy, this thread really went off topic:eek:

Dean Romig
07-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Parker O/U’s were short-lived for sure. Was it because of litigation expenses or just lack of interest in yet another 12 gauge over-under? Or a combination of both?

IMO, scores be damned, you can never look as good shooting a O/U as you do shooting a nice SXS... like a Parker.

Brian Dudley
07-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know the details of the litigation issues? Who were they dealing with? Remington owns the “Parker” name, but who would be able to claim right to “Parker Brothers Makers”?

Rick Losey
07-03-2019, 08:04 AM
IMO, scores be damned, you can never look as good shooting a O/U as you do shooting a nice SXS... like a Parker.

as Gene Hill said about nice guns- if i can't shoot good, at least i can look good shooting